• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 HELP! Scab and blood on the lower part of my budgie's keel!

BirbBudgie

Sitting on the front steps
So I don't even know when this happened but I come home one day and I see something unusual about my bird. He has been scratching the same spot for a long time now, I go to investigate and it's a scab. Please help me, What should I do, What is is, And how did it happen. 20210625_221252[1].jpg 20210625_220725[1].jpg 20210625_221252[1].jpg

Last edited:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
:bump4: I hope he gets better soon!

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
First thing, go to vet. See if it’s infected/dangerous and try to figure out what caused it. I hope your bird gets better. The vet will probably give you ointment to better heal it if it’s not infected or bad.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
@Destiny
That is your birds cloaca, and it's not normal to look like that.
In case you don't know, it's where they defecate, and lay eggs from.
I am no budgie expert, some will be along soon.
A vet is definitely needed.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don’t put ointment on it. Your sweet baby might eat some of it, and that would make matters worse. That does look like your bird’s cloaca. And that does not look normal. If it isn’t the cloaca, it’s very close to it.

Is your budgie eating, pooping normally, active? How old is the bird? Male or female?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh, and Jacob, you should remove your email from your public information.

BirbBudgie

Please don’t put ointment on it. Your sweet baby might eat some of it, and that would make matters worse. That does look like your bird’s cloaca. And that does not look normal. If it isn’t the cloaca, it’s very close to it.

Is your budgie eating, pooping normally, active? How old is the bird? Male or female?
Its a male, he poops normaly He is about a 5 months old and he does not look like he is sick

BirbBudgie

Physically nothing is wrong with him but it's a scab I search on the internet for what it is so can somebody tell me exactly what it is like it's scientifical name

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Physically nothing is wrong with him but it's a scab I search on the internet for what it is so can somebody tell me exactly what it is like it's scientifical name
You need a vet right now. That's not a scab, it's the bird's cloaca, where he excretes feces from. It looks infected and he must be in a lot of pain. Please don't put any ointments on it.

BirbBudgie

You need a vet right now. That's not a scab, it's the bird's cloaca, where he excretes feces from. It looks infected and he must be in a lot of pain. Please don't put any ointments on it.
What I mean is that there is a scab covering his cloaca.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
I might be wrong but I don't think that is possible. His cloaca is a hole. Scabs come from cuts and its not possible to get a cut on a hole. It looks like the cloaca itself is infected on the inside. You should probably wait for someone more experienced to say something on this but either way, he needs a vet.

BirbBudgie

I might be wrong but I don't think that is possible. His cloaca is a hole. Scabs come from cuts and its not possible to get a cut on a hole. It looks like the cloaca itself is infected on the inside. You should probably wait for someone more experienced to say something on this but either way, he needs a vet.
Then what is this (it is a piece that fell of earlier)

Attachments

BirbBudgie

OMG HELP IT'S BLEEDING A BIT WHAT DO I DO 20210626_024715.jpg 20210626_024715.jpg
HELP

Attachments

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Then what is this (it is a piece that fell of earlier)
That's his poop. For now, just press really gently with a paper towel to stop the bleeding. Do you have a vet? Please, this must really be hurting him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it still bleeding