• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help regarding vet results/recommendations

DocWurst

Moving in
Hello everyone,
I have a conure and cockatiel and have been feeding them a diet consisting primarily of sprouted seeds (handy pantry bird blend + lentil fest and protein powerhouse) that I add nekton S multivitamin to as well as some red palm tree oil. I offer them a lot of fruit and veggies but they are quite picky, especially my cockatiel. I also make bird bread for them from tops, mommas, harrisons, and try to add some harrisons or roudybush pellets in there but so far they are not fans of any pellets I've tried (and I have tried every brand under the sun with every conversion method). Until recently I have also been giving higgins safflower gold seed mix to supplement but that stopped last week because I took my conure to the vet for some feather plucking. She said he was in great shape but did full blood and liver panels to be sure. She told me that it was most likely a nutritional issue from the high seed diet so I stopped giving seeds entirely. Yesterday I got a call that said his bile acids were fine and as such his liver is working okay but his WBCs and AST were somewhat elevated and they started him on enrofloxacin 2x daily for a potential infection. The vet is out of the office until monday so I am not able to ask any questions until then but I am a complete wreck. I am desperate for any advice or tips on what I can do to improve their diet and lifestyle.
Diego is a peach fronted conure and 2.5 years old, both birds have 8+ hours of free flight time every day. They have a large cage and lots of toys. He started plucking the feathers under his wings which is why I took him to the vet. Other than this and his blood test he is fine, healthy, eating and drinking, playing, talking. I googled his test results because I was desperate for information on what is happening and everything that came up involved liver failure and death. I am beside myself with anxiety wondering where I went wrong. Did I give too many vitamins? I ordered an avian sun lamp that I set up yesterday since I live in the northern US without a lot of sunlight. I cannot lose this bird, he is my best friend and companion and I could never forgive myself if he died so young. I am a people medicine student so my knowledge of AST revolves around people illnesses and I am clueless about what this means for a bird and googling only led to me catastrophizing endlessly.
I am happy to do or try anything that you wonderful people suggest! I was reading about making a softened pellet + organic baby food mash to add to the sprouts so they get more veggies. There is so much conflicting info about what a bird diet should be that I feel lost but I will spare every expense to get my boy healthy and happy. Thanks to everyone that reads this and offers support, it really means the absolute world to me!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry your conure is having issues. I will tag some people. I don't have conures but I think diet really is more specific to bird species than often people, including vets, think. A good diet for one type of parrot isn't the best necessarily for another type. For instance, I belonged to a cockatiel forum and the overall thought was that they should be fed about 50% seeds because they are granivores. I know that's not the case with other types of parrots. I am not a big fan of vitamins for birds but I don't think they would cause the issues yours is having. I am sure others here can offer more advise.

@Hankmacaw ? @webchirp ?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I'm experiencing a similar situation...sudden plucking from one of my caiques. I had bloodwork and cultures done at her last appointment. Her WBC was high, her liver enzymes were a bit off...though my vet didn't seem concerned about the liver. The cultures showed higher than normal staph and pseudomonas (a gram negative bacteria that's not supposed to be in a bird!). She is on a good diet...pellets, sprouted seeds, veggies, fruit, some nuts, and some organic dry seeds. So, we had a 10 day round of enrofloxacin one time a day (that was challenging!). After doing some research, pseudomonas is usually carried in poor water quality (though her cage mate didn't test positive for this....also I clean their water dish 3x per day with soap and hot water. I also use filtered water). Upon further inspection, I discovered red flour beetles in the organic dry seed! After doing research on those icky creepy crawlies, I found that they can carry pseudomona bacteria! This bird (with the sudden plucking) would stand in the middle of her food. I'm not sure if the beetles are causation or correlation, but it's a hypothesis. Unfortunately, my bird is still plucking some of her pin feathers...also letting some grow in. Don't really know what that's about...habit? Discomfort? I'll be getting her retested soon.
Be sure to write down your questions and concerns, so that you'll have them for when you can talk to the vet. Please let us know how things go!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It is hormone season. @Mizzely is our food guru...I feed my gang nutriberries and zupreem pellets in addition to chop etc. I don't give a lot of fruit because it can cause yeast. Plucking can be so hard to diagnose and fight but you did the right thing going to the vet. Also, do you have filtered water? Dr. Orosz recommends filtered or purified water. She said there is too much sodium in tap water most often and wells are a whole other issue with possible bacterial growth. My well water at the old house had a lot of yeast. Although it wasn't a test with protocols and such...I was just having issues and dr o looked at it under the microscope. Full of yeast which was weird. We have reverse osmosis at the new house as well.

Oh also, you might want to have the vet swab the plucking areas. Zia does this hormonal thing each year and gets yeast where she plucks or got yeast and then plucked. I mist her plucked areas with diluted F10 for 14 days. Giggie sometimes gets yeast on her skin (she's nakkie) and Dr. O has me mist her as well.

DocWurst

Moving in
I'm sorry your conure is having issues. I will tag some people. I don't have conures but I think diet really is more specific to bird species than often people, including vets, think. A good diet for one type of parrot isn't the best necessarily for another type. For instance, I belonged to a cockatiel forum and the overall thought was that they should be fed about 50% seeds because they are granivores. I know that's not the case with other types of parrots. I am not a big fan of vitamins for birds but I don't think they would cause the issues yours is having. I am sure others here can offer more advise.

@Hankmacaw ? @webchirp ?
Thank you! I've gone crosseyed reading every conure diet page I can find but the pellet incorporation is still the biggest ongoing struggle.

I'm experiencing a similar situation...sudden plucking from one of my caiques. I had bloodwork and cultures done at her last appointment. Her WBC was high, her liver enzymes were a bit off...though my vet didn't seem concerned about the liver. The cultures showed higher than normal staph and pseudomonas (a gram negative bacteria that's not supposed to be in a bird!). She is on a good diet...pellets, sprouted seeds, veggies, fruit, some nuts, and some organic dry seeds. So, we had a 10 day round of enrofloxacin one time a day (that was challenging!). After doing some research, pseudomonas is usually carried in poor water quality (though her cage mate didn't test positive for this....also I clean their water dish 3x per day with soap and hot water. I also use filtered water). Upon further inspection, I discovered red flour beetles in the organic dry seed! After doing research on those icky creepy crawlies, I found that they can carry pseudomona bacteria! This bird (with the sudden plucking) would stand in the middle of her food. I'm not sure if the beetles are causation or correlation, but it's a hypothesis. Unfortunately, my bird is still plucking some of her pin feathers...also letting some grow in. Don't really know what that's about...habit? Discomfort? I'll be getting her retested soon.
Be sure to write down your questions and concerns, so that you'll have them for when you can talk to the vet. Please let us know how things go!
This was actually very comforting to know someone else is experiencing the same thing! It is driving me absolutely crazy how he will leave 75% of his pin feathers alone and pluck the other 25%. I'm hoping the avian sun lamp might help a bit once he stops screaming at it but I just put in orders for F10 and pet focus so the whole place is going to get a deep clean. I will absolutely be sure to share how things go with the vet and if I find anything that helps. I think knowing about human medicine is a curse in this situation because I keep agonizing over a million things it might be that birds probably can't even get :bash:

It is hormone season. @Mizzely is our food guru...I feed my gang nutriberries and zupreem pellets in addition to chop etc. I don't give a lot of fruit because it can cause yeast. Plucking can be so hard to diagnose and fight but you did the right thing going to the vet. Also, do you have filtered water? Dr. Orosz recommends filtered or purified water. She said there is too much sodium in tap water most often and wells are a whole other issue with possible bacterial growth. My well water at the old house had a lot of yeast. Although it wasn't a test with protocols and such...I was just having issues and dr o looked at it under the microscope. Full of yeast which was weird. We have reverse osmosis at the new house as well.

Oh also, you might want to have the vet swab the plucking areas. Zia does this hormonal thing each year and gets yeast where she plucks or got yeast and then plucked. I mist her plucked areas with diluted F10 for 14 days. Giggie sometimes gets yeast on her skin (she's nakkie) and Dr. O has me mist her as well.
I may be the biggest idiot on the block because it never occurred to me to give them filtered water! That will be rectified now. I hadn't heard of F10 being misted but it would make sense that it works. It's misery to try to find it available to the US but I found the F10SCXD concentrate on ebay from the UK and ordered some so if the vet suggests it I have it ready. I also ordered pet focus to deep clean the whole place. Hopefully it'll get rid of anything creeping around.