• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help regarding my baby cockatiel

Fahim

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saadman Bin Ibrahim
My 27 days old albino baby cockatiel is doing green poop, i feed him hand feeding formula. Is the green poop an indication of any sort of problem? I'm worried for it.. can anyone please help me ? Does it need any sort of medication ?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you been giving him millet spray? Or any other adult foods?

Fahim

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saadman Bin Ibrahim
Have you been giving him millet spray? Or any other adult foods?
No I'm only giving him hand feed formula, 4 times daily after every 6 hours

Fahim

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saadman Bin Ibrahim
No I'm only giving him hand feed formula, 4 times daily after every 6 hours
The hand feed formula is mixture of healthy foods for baby birds, i bought it from a bird shop.. maybe it has mixture of millet spray in it, but i don't feed my bird anything else but the hand feed formula, i mix the powder of the formula with warm water and hand feed my bird.. I'm really worried because of the green poop, but my bird is really active and looks healthy

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did you breed this bird? Or buy him recently?
Has his poops always been this colour since you had him?
What food are you giving?

The hand feed formula is mixture of healthy foods for baby birds, i bought it from a bird shop.. maybe it has mixture of millet spray in it
Do you have a photo of the product?

I´m faithful to Nutribird and it gives poops a sort of cream, slightly yellowy colour. Different foods may give a slight different colour hue to poop.

Fahim

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saadman Bin Ibrahim
Did you breed this bird? Or buy him recently?
Has his poops always been this colour since you had him?
What food are you giving?

Do you have a photo of the product?

I´m faithful to Nutribird and it gives poops a sort of cream, slightly yellowy colour. Different foods may give a slight different colour hue to poop.
It's been 2 days since i purchased this bird, the hand feed formula I'm feeding is made by the shop owner, they feed the same formula to every baby bird they have like macaw and others, the shopkeeper said that the formula is great for growth and they feed the same handfeed formula to macaw and other exotic birds they sell. The formula is not branded tho, it's their own made formula which they said is better than the branded ones

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think a good idea would be to go and buy some formula from a known brand. These companies reasearch what a baby bird needs and spend time and money perfecting their formulas.
Can you get Nutribird or Hagen? you may have to get it online depending on where in the world you are.
Here is a list of formulas, see if you can source any; Some helpful links about hand feeding and weaning:)

Maybe the shop owner has just ground up seeds with some other miscellanious foods, who knows? If that is what he has done, it would explain the green, but also indicate that the bird is not getting what they need in terms of vitamins etc.

Fahim

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saadman Bin Ibrahim
I think a good idea would be to go and buy some formula from a known brand. These companies reasearch what a baby bird needs and spend time and money perfecting their formulas.
Can you get Nutribird or Hagen? you may have to get it online depending on where in the world you are.
Here is a list of formulas, see if you can source any; Some helpful links about hand feeding and weaning:)

Maybe the shop owner has just ground up seeds with some other miscellanious foods, who knows? If that is what he has done, it would explain the green, but also indicate that the bird is not getting what they need in terms of vitamins etc.
Thank you so much, Nutribird is available in my country I will try it and see if things get better ☺

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You´re very welcome :) Hopefully switching the food will correct the colour of the poops. It will also give your baby bird the nutrition they need. Be sure you are keeping your bird warm between feedings.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Out of curiosity I would want to know what grains the shop owner is using to make his blend. I'd be willing to be it would explain the green color of poop. Though I do agree with @Zara in purchasing a known commercially brand of hand feeding formula that truly has all of the nutritional ingredients needed for a growing baby.

Fahim

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saadman Bin Ibrahim
Out of curiosity I would want to know what grains the shop owner is using to make his blend. I'd be willing to be it would explain the green color of poop. Though I do agree with @Zara in purchasing a known commercially brand of hand feeding formula that truly has all of the nutritional ingredients needed for a growing baby.
I think they are using various kind of seeds for the formula, my baby tiel loves the formula though, the colour of the poop might be because of the mixture of seeds in the food, it has been quiet a while, my tiel is growing and is very active.. Didn't change the food yet because the breeder said that poop is green because of different sorts of mixed stuff in it. Got him when he was only 23 days now he's almost a month old

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think they are using various kind of seeds for the formula,
That was the highest possibility.

Didn't change the food yet because the breeder said that poop is green because of different sorts of mixed stuff in it
Even more reason to switch the food. Seeds don´t have enough nutrients in them for a growing bird. It´s why breeder parents need to be on a good diet before breeding so they pass on the nutrients from the vegetables and pellets to the little ones.

What you feed a chick while it is growing will inmpact it for the rest of it´s life.
I urge you to change the food, though late it is, it´s better than never.

Fahim

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saadman Bin Ibrahim
That was the highest possibility.

Even more reason to switch the food. Seeds don´t have enough nutrients in them for a growing bird. It´s why breeder parents need to be on a good diet before breeding so they pass on the nutrients from the vegetables and pellets to the little ones.

What you feed a chick while it is growing will inmpact it for the rest of it´s life.
I urge you to change the food, though late it is, it´s better than never.
I will switch to Nutribird then, i wasn't quite sure that seeds do not have enough nutrients for a growing bird because the breeder said that their food is better. Thanks again for the advice !