• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help pretty please with rehoming questions

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I’ve decided to rehome my little pineapple Conure baby. Such and tough decision but we realized that we want to devote all of our time to one of them and we have bonded with the darker one I’m looking for advice I have someone that is extremely interested she is an RN for the surgeon generals office here in town she hand raised her son’s African gray and pineapple Conure and has been looking for a pineapple baby for a while since her son returned from the military and took his babies back. I will meet her in person and do a home visit but can someone tell me what important questions I should be asking. I am asking for a rehoming fee to insure the future owner will have the means to take care of her medical and regular needs this is hard 

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Such and tough decision but we realized that we want to devote all of our time to one of them
I don’t mind you rehoming a bird as long as you have an exceptional candidate. You’re lucky with that. The rest reads like this. “We had a couple of kids but we only like one of them. We’re going to get rid of one”.

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I don’t mind you rehoming a bird as long as you have an exceptional candidate. You’re lucky with that. The rest reads like this. “We had a couple of kids but we only like one of them. We’re going to get rid of one”.
See that’s why I didn’t want to ask for advice because of that sort of judgement. It’s okay for the breeders on her to breed and sell their babies and say how much they love them. But I say it was a terribly hard decision because we love both our babies and didn’t even expect them and we have decided to rehome one because of a lot reasons. Not everyone’s situation is the same

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It’s okay for the breeders on her to breed and sell their babies and say how much they love them.
That is not true. There is no buying or selling of birds anywhere on this forum. Strictly forbidden.

As I said If you have a great candidate to rehome a bird then it’s a win win. Great candidates are very hard to find.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Lori, glad you were able to find someone! Hopefully they'll make a great home! I would ensure that they at least have a proper cage before taking the chick.

This person does have some time though since the chick shouldn't go home until she is *AT LEAST* 8 weeks old, but preferably 10-12 weeks in age, if not older. We need to make sure the chick is eating well for at least 2 weeks without feeding from you or parents. I also would not recommend clipping the chick if you can avoid it.

If you aren't familiar with it, I would also recommend checking out this club. Next meeting may not be until May or June, with the way things are going... last month was already cancelled, I expect this month's meeting will also be cancelled.... that said, would recommend passing on the info as well.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
can someone tell me what important questions I should be asking
You could recommend they join us here on the Avenue :)
It would not only be a way for them to access information but also a way for you to keep in touch.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You could also check out some of the rescues documentation on adopting. I know soft landings has a ton. Vetting to me is a super important question. Don't feel guilty if you can find the right home. But I would also ask for him or her back if she decides not to keep him. Replace those next eggs with plastic.

Good luck!

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
Oh yes I’ve said I will pay back every dime if she decides not to keep her❤ Thank you for the great advice and no judgement ❤ I almost decided to leave this group when people were saving things like I wanted get rid of one of my kids. This was a surprise because I thought I had adopted two males and ended up with a clutch of babies. I wanted to only keep one because I wanted to devote all of our time to bonding with one baby. I ended up falling in love of course with both babies, so it was horribly hard decision and we decided to keep the baby we had bonded with and rehome the other of baby to a home that she could get all the time and attention in the world. She ended up in the perfect home and I did home visits, a contract, and get daily updates, weigh information, photos and videos. Photo is Kukui in her new home ❤

Attachments

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Wow I really like that little pineapple conure, what a cutie!! Geez I would love her myself!! :xflove::xflove:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Photo is Kukui in her new home ❤
Glad you found her a good home. But that was very quick, I thought the chicks were 5 weeks old? Maybe I missed something...

Fulmer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
They are 6 weeks and her new mom hand feeds her babies but the have been eating and gaining weight since Saturday ❤

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
See that’s why I didn’t want to ask for advice because of that sort of judgement. It’s okay for the breeders on her to breed and sell their babies and say how much they love them. But I say it was a terribly hard decision because we love both our babies and didn’t even expect them and we have decided to rehome one because of a lot reasons. Not everyone’s situation is the same
Too be fair John, treats the breeders like that too. It sounds like you are doing fine in finding a new home though. I would generally recommend that you keep feeding the baby until weaning but since both of you have about the same level of experience there is not nearly as advantage as their would be for leaving a baby with an experienced breeder who understands the details of weaning the species that they are dealing with. Making sure that the new owner has a source of support like this group would be good.

I know it's hard sometimes to hear other peoples opinions especially if you feel that they do not understand the whole situation but I ignore John all the time :) I also find he shares a lot of useful info as well.

This post might fit better under rehome highway if you are an accidental breeder not a repeat offender (I say this tongue in cheek because I am a repeat offender every year, I just don't offer them here).

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She is so darn cute! Why I don't breed and replace any eggs with fake ones...I would have a flipping housefull of cheeks...oh wait I kind of already do. :facepalm: