• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help. Possible Bumble foot?

Jacobo123

Moving in
I recently was gifted an Indian Ring neck and I am unfamiliar with what might possibly be cause for concern on her feet. I was thinking maybe her feet were stained with the bell peppers she was eating but they seem a bit dry to me and was concerned that it might be bumble foot. When it’s time for bed she stays all night hanging from her cage. I don’t know if that’s probably why. She’s occasionally is perched up on one foot as well.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I can't make pic bigger to really see.

But hanging out in the sides of the cage are stress and nervousness, usually..

And doing that can start making pressure points or sore feet

Being new in home , a cage that may be to small, cage placement it could be the location let's people or scary things from all sides ,,? Or if cage is to low to the ground?

Jacobo123

Moving in
I can't make pic bigger to really see.

But hanging out in the sides of the cage are stress and nervousness, usually..

And doing that can start making pressure points or sore feet

Being new in home , a cage that may be to small, cage placement it could be the location let's people or scary things from all sides ,,? Or if cage is to low to the ground?
that makes a lot of sense. She does seem nervous once lights are out. I dont cover her to avoid stress but seems she’s just scared. When out the cage she does love high areas so I’m going to move her up higher to see if it helps prevent her from clinging onto the cage. I ordered her a bigger cage that I’m waiting on since the one she came with is too small. Sorry the picture wouldn’t post if it was bigger I’ll try to post it bigger.

Jacobo123

Moving in
that makes a lot of sense. She does seem nervous once lights are out. I dont cover her to avoid stress but seems she’s just scared. When out the cage she does love high areas so I’m going to move her up higher to see if it helps prevent her from clinging onto the cage. I ordered her a bigger cage that I’m waiting on since the one she came with is too small. Sorry the picture wouldn’t post if it was bigger I’ll try to post it bigger.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I can see some pinkness and maybe some swelling and loss of scale detail ...a little it is bigger pic , still a little hard to tell. I think they look like sore feet .. with a new one with maybe not so great background a vet check is always a good idea .

You can get a spray bottle, and add a few drops of betadine to water for a light tea color , and spray bottom of feet. It does stain. But is helpful for minor wounds and safe to leave on skin .
Offer maybe a rope perch that is softer . Having different perch options and diameter..the natural perch pictured is fine and a nice option . And of course , when she isn't always on bars will help

The nails look so yellow and feet so orange , I'm not sure what IRN of this mutation feet and nails should look like ....you can Google and look at others with her colors and compare . You aren't supplement her with vitamins are you ? Liver issues can make skin look yellow too, can you show her face ? Is urine bright yellow or bright green ?

It's a lot when you take in a new one. A bigger a bigger cage make her feel more comfortable , more options to retreat and not feel trapped. Almost all of mine are used but excellent condition no rust cages I found cheap with looking..

Diet is important, but I like to offer veggies, while still keeping whatever they ate at first . Going more slow with diet changes , not forcing. What does she eat now ?

Jacobo123

Moving in
I can see some pinkness and maybe some swelling and loss of scale detail ...a little it is bigger pic , still a little hard to tell. I think they look like sore feet .. with a new one with maybe not so great background a vet check is always a good idea .

You can get a spray bottle, and add a few drops of betadine to water for a light tea color , and spray bottom of feet. It does stain. But is helpful for minor wounds and safe to leave on skin .
Offer maybe a rope perch that is softer . Having different perch options and diameter..the natural perch pictured is fine and a nice option . And of course , when she isn't always on bars will help

The nails look so yellow and feet so orange , I'm not sure what IRN of this mutation feet and nails should look like ....you can Google and look at others with her colors and compare . You aren't supplement her with vitamins are you ? Liver issues can make skin look yellow too, can you show her face ? Is urine bright yellow or bright green ?

It's a lot when you take in a new one. A bigger a bigger cage make her feel more comfortable , more options to retreat and not feel trapped. Almost all of mine are used but excellent condition no rust cages I found cheap with looking..

Diet is important, but I like to offer veggies, while still keeping whatever they ate at first . Going more slow with diet changes , not forcing. What does she eat now ?
I Have the Nekton-S Vitamin supplement. She eats veggies and I am transitioning her to Roudybush pellets which she eats well. I’m worried because when she arrived her nails/feet didn’t look like this. She loves Orange bell peppers and that’s when I slowly started to notice the color change which I assumed they stained her feet. Urine has very slightly a neon yellow/green tone. It’s not much so I can’t really tell which color. I got her another perch with a different diameter in hopes it helps as well!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
What a beautiful bird.
I do see the bumble foot now , her left and inside toe , with the round swelling. IMG_5021~3.jpeg
She also has developing ouchies on other toes. The pink circle erosions on the bottom toes both feet
IMG_5021~4.jpeg IMG_5021~5.jpeg
What a beautiful girl tho! You will want vet help to get her all fixed up

Last edited:

Jacobo123

Moving in
Thank you!! She’s gorgeous & wanna provide the best possible care for her. Do you happen to know anything that might help for the time being? I don’t have access to a vet at the moment! While I look for one I’m hoping there might be something that I can do

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I Have the Nekton-S Vitamin supplement. She eats veggies and I am transitioning her to Roudybush pellets which she eats well. I’m worried because when she arrived her nails/feet didn’t look like this. She loves Orange bell peppers and that’s when I slowly started to notice the color change which I assumed they stained her feet. Urine has very slightly a neon yellow/green tone. It’s not much so I can’t really tell which color. I got her another perch with a different diameter in hopes it helps as well!
I would stop the vitamin supplement, to much vitamin A/ beta carotene can be harmful to liver, and can cause orange yellow tinge to skin.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thank you!! She’s gorgeous & wanna provide the best possible care for her. Do you happen to know anything that might help for the time being? I don’t have access to a vet at the moment! While I look for one I’m hoping there might be something that I can do
Mmm..the biggest thing would be for her to stay off cage bars and perch . If she was tame and you could have her stand in dilute betadine soaks for several minutes 4 times a day ...might help...but often this needs antibiotics, and the vets do special feet wraps to take pressure off. Not something you can do , because doing that wrong you could loose a toe or the whole foot ... usual they have you come in once a week or so and re bandage feet...it takes a while to get them past this...sorry
Maybe other will drop in with ideas

She is good body condition, excellent feathers, shiny beak and eyes . Just the darn ouchie feet

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Put this under general heath and nit 911
More people can reply

Going to bed now.
Welcome to the forum !

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
A wider perch will support foot more, a big fat one of these, they are soft holes offer pressure relief points. And a rope perch ( if she won't chew
Oops wrong one

This one

And the natural one
Cholla Cactus Bird Perch, Large

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don’t have access to a vet at the moment! While I look for one
If you post your general area, some members here may know vets in your area, or at least be able to help you look.

Do you happen to know anything that might help for the time being?
Keep the cage bars and perches clean to minimise the risk of infection.

I imagine in my mind that bumble foot is painful for the bird, getting to the vet should be a priority before it worsens.

Please don't try to medicate on your own, you need a vet to help assist you for optimum care.

Last edited: