• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
As you know, we rescued Dolly our Umbrella Cockatoo in February.
She was missing lots of feathers as well as half one wing and her other wing is pretty mangled.
She is missing one nail on her toe also.
I have got her off her all seed diet. She gets lots of veggies, some fruit, and zupreem fruit pellets and Harrison's, which she will eat but not overly crazy about. She gets a little seed mix still which is fine. I didn't want to change hre whole food diet ubtil she is more settled.
Now, since February, she has only had one new feather and I helped her with the shaft. Nothing since.
She goes to the vets again in 2 weeks.The vet cancelled 2 appointments as she had covid then she went on holiday.
Her first visit the vet said she was a sick little girl but wouldn't expand on that. She wants to do more tests.
So, @JLcribber @Shezbug @sunnysmom and omg sorry brain dead here, anyone else who has cockatoos in particular, is there anything else I can do?
By the way I bought some Avipro and Feathered Up vitamin powder to try and helo her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I guess it all depends on what sick little girl means. Hopefully, nothing serious. When the rescue here took in the 26 hoarding birds, we put all of them on red palm oil. Just like about pea sized mixed in with their food. That might help some with the feather condition. I also wonder if probiotics would be beneficial for her. If the feather follicles are damaged the feathers won't grow back in. But of course, it's always good to rule out any health issues first when it comes to plucking. Do you think she is in pain from her wings? Poor little girl. So good of you to help her.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I have palm oil and coconut oil here. Should I use both, or just the palm oil?
I was told her wing feathers may come back, but honestly they are in bad shape. She preens alot on her wings, but she flaps them too and lifts them up when we are playing, so I am just speculating here, but it seems the damage wasn't done within weeks of us getting her. I tried to get more information from her previous owner but he made it out to be her previous owners' doing.
But, when we went to get her he had a HUGE dog, bigger than a great dane, and it wouldn't stop jumping up on me the whole time we were there. That dog could easily have gotten a hold of her. On a positive note, she seems to be okay and not too bothered by it.
Her chest feathers are gone and she just has fluff on her chest. That concerns me too.
I will put some palm oil in her food and see how that goes.
She is so affectionate that I look at her and get teary that someone would let her get in this condition and not do anything to help her. Omg I am teary just typing this. She is my baby girl just as Frankie is my baby boy and I just want the best quality of life for them that I am able to give.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I offer Birdie chickpea and black beans every morning with his veggies (protein is the building blocks for new growth is what I understand)- he was in very bad health when he got here and didn’t loose many feathers at all till he started picking up condition. Just before winter started he dropped so many feathers I was actually getting quite concerned but they all grew in fast and beautiful and looked great till he had a good chance to drag and stomp on them constantly- his wings hang badly so the feathers are destroyed.

I would not bother with the coconut (I don’t give it at all tbh) but I’d definitely add RPO. I feed RPO to my guys daily.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Red Palm Oil will make a significant improvement in the quality of the feathers. Don't bother with the coconut oil-it does not do much of anything for anything.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Adding beans & legumes to Bebe's diet helped alot with his feathers. Just cook them well and when I first started adding them I would course grind some them in the blender. Even mashing them would help.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Icey you give her love, that's important

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I will give her beans with her veggies with palm oil mixed in.
She loves mashed potatos, so if I can't get her to eat the beans whole, I will mash them.
Thank you all for your great advice, which I knew I would receive from everyone here.
You are all awesome. :heart2:
@Shezbug @rocky'smom @sunnysmom @Hankmacaw @Clueless

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
As you know, we rescued Dolly our Umbrella Cockatoo in February.
She was missing lots of feathers as well as half one wing and her other wing is pretty mangled.
She is missing one nail on her toe also.
I have got her off her all seed diet. She gets lots of veggies, some fruit, and zupreem fruit pellets and Harrison's, which she will eat but not overly crazy about. She gets a little seed mix still which is fine. I didn't want to change hre whole food diet ubtil she is more settled.
Now, since February, she has only had one new feather and I helped her with the shaft. Nothing since.
She goes to the vets again in 2 weeks.The vet cancelled 2 appointments as she had covid then she went on holiday.
Her first visit the vet said she was a sick little girl but wouldn't expand on that. She wants to do more tests.
So, @JLcribber @Shezbug @sunnysmom and omg sorry brain dead here, anyone else who has cockatoos in particular, is there anything else I can do?
By the way I bought some Avipro and Feathered Up vitamin powder to try and helo her.
How did she get injured?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
The vet and hubby and I all think a dog got her. I will try and get close up pics today. Half of one wing is missing, a toenail is missing, and her other wing is mangled.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
The vet and hubby and I all think a dog got her. I will try and get close up pics today. Half of one wing is missing, a toenail is missing, and her other wing is mangled.
:(