• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please!

Ludo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vanshika
I got my first budgie 2 weeks ago. She was bonding with me and all and then I got my second budgie 2 days ago. I have kept both of them together and they’re happy and all, they’re sisters from the same mother. Now my original budgie has forgotten all the bonding she had with me and runs away when I ask her to perch up on my finger. She never did this before. I am afraid that the new budgie is going to learn this behavior and also start running away which she does right now since she’s new. I just don’t wanna be the feeder I wanna be inclusive in this relationship. As of now they’re in the same cage and they sleep together and all but should I seperate them and only take them out for playtime so they associate me with good memories? Please give me tips to tame both of them as I’ll have to start from scratch with my original budgie too. Please help!!!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only two of my budgies will venture on/ near me, my original two. I use millet. I think it's down to personality. Pistachio is brave because Marzipan is, and he follows him. Aurelius takes his cues from Winston, a former breeder budgie. They keep their distance. My last two are very new.

How about trying millet & ignoring them? I think the first budgie's behavior will positively impact the second's.

Ludo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vanshika
Thanks for the examples of your budgies, it gives me hope. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon but my original budgie is completely ruined. She’s being ignorant, before the second one arrived, she would even eat when I fed her and miller was her favorite but now she runs away as soon as I open her cage to give her millet. The second one is doing the same. Right now I have seperated them and am trying to tame them seperate but I don’t want them to see me as a villain who’s coming between them. I am just so lost

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not a matter of you + 1; it's a matter of you +2. More friends complicates the dynamics, but by no means ruins anyone. We have to remember they're wild, even if domestically bred in a myriad of colours. You can't expect to forge a friendship with them quickly, like you could with a cat or dog.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You can certainly work with them separately to give you more focused attention. Each is an individual and they may have different personalities but you will have to form a bond with each one. I assure you that the first one that you got has not forgotten he is simply more interested in his new budgie friend. You can certainly all there be friends but you will have to make friends with each one individually.

I have multiple caiques and often can train and socialize them in multiples and groups but some of them really need one on one time to win them over. It just depends on the bird. Don't give up. Try working with them separately at first and see what happens.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Relax, take it slow, nobody is ruined. You've only had the first budgie for 2 weeks, that is not enough enough time for her to fully adjust and now she is readjusting to a new dynamic. Be calm and consistent and give them both lots of reasons to trust you (millet!). Budgies generally do not like new things/situations and take time to come around.