• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please

Rownic1

Moving in
Real Name
Rowena
Hi
Im new here and i really need help with Ozzy my cockatiel, ive had him for about 3 months now ive sat by his cage, ive spoken to him he will follow me all round the house sit on my head, but he hates and mean hates hands, he will eat from my hands and fingers when giving him treats then he will just look at you and bite. He is now just screaming and one and only one of my hands to the point i have to sit on it so he cant see it, he will walk up to the your finger when yiur moving up and down signing to it but if you stop he will bite and bite hard. I give him time out, i ignor it when he dose it. He will attack anyone that comes near me if they try to hug me, but hes ok with them sat next to me. He will hop on to your hand to come to come out the cage then bite you, and scream at you. Please help me

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
You are so very welcomed to the AA-- there are many people here who will be able to give you advice and help w/ his behavioral issue! Take care.

Rownic1

Moving in
Real Name
Rowena
Thank you i do hope so, when i 1st got him even if you change the food he wouldnt come near me but would sit there and join in a sing song. But km sat here now and hes trying to attack my left hand just diveing at it.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Thank you i do hope so, when i 1st got him even if you change the food he wouldnt come near me but would sit there and join in a sing song. But km sat here now and hes trying to attack my left hand just diveing at it.
Wondered what triggered that response? Seems like he's blaming you for something!

Rownic1

Moving in
Real Name
Rowena
I have a video of him just not sure how upload it, but hes sat on my foot doing making alot of nosie which is what he dose then he will just charge at me. I know i took his millit off him as he really attacked my hand yesterday, was that the right thing?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I'm sorry... not the right person to help you... :(

All I can say is from my own experience-- when we rescued our Cockatoo I wore contact lenses and when I would switch from glasses back to contacts-- bitten several times... Finally figured out she didn't like me being bare faced! No more contact lenses for me! o_O

Rownic1

Moving in
Real Name
Rowena
Ive never had an issue and ive had aviary birds before but Ozzy is somthing diffrent. I have know idea with him. Just had a cupp of tea which we normally share and his taken a chunk out of my wrist

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to AA. You are doing well with Ozzy...congrats! He is doing what a lot of birds do with human hands...being cautious (to the point of biting) to them.
You he has no problem with...your hands are a different story. This is a TOTALLY expectable thing to happen.
So,what do you do about it? It's easy...you let Ozzy be Ozzy! You let him interact with you the way he wants to...you don't have to do a thing but enjoy him!
No pressure, no forcing...nothing. Ozzy will guide you with the next steps in your relationship with him.
Tiles are really good in adapting to humans...they are most forgiving of us humans in most ways. We are currently owned by 3 tiles...Igor, Sunshine, and Tweety...and have been owned by many other tiles in the past.
They are the most solid of species...and I love them...

Rownic1

Moving in
Real Name
Rowena
Hi and thank you so even when he comes over to me and is just sat there screaming at me should i just move my hands even if they arnt near him, if he can get to them when hes sat with me he will climb down and bite them?

Rownic1

Moving in
Real Name
Rowena
Hi
Just to update u all Ozzy still bites but not as hard, its been a yr now and i have finally got him to allow me to do scratches, he will tolarte men but if they raise their voices near me he will attack them. But he slowly getting better with me