• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please

Lulu1983

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sonia
Hi I have a 5 week old Quaker parrot and I have never hand fed any pet I am feeding him with this syringe 3 time a day he always seems hungry sometime I have him one and half also I was told it’s a she her name is lulu but I am not sure how to tell please help appreciatted

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You will need a DNA test to be certain of the sex of your bird.

As for the feeding can you give more information on the type of formula you are using, amount of formula per feed, temp of formula fed..... also information about whether or not you were taught to hand feed properly- like do you know where to aim the tip of the syringe and exactly when to squirt it?

I can never understand why so many unweaned babies end up being sold to people who have no idea how to hand feed- such a gamble with the baby birds life. I am not meaning to sound harsh at you, it is the breeders who do this that I am really down on.

Hopefully @Mockinbirdiva is available and can help you with the information you need to feed your baby correctly and safely.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You will need a DNA test to be certain of the sex of your bird.

As for the feeding can you give more information on the type of formula you are using, amount of formula per feed, temp of formula fed..... also information about whether or not you were taught to hand feed properly- like do you know where to aim the tip of the syringe and exactly when to squirt it?

I can never understand why so many unweaned babies end up being sold to people who have no idea how to hand feed- such a gamble with the baby birds life. I am not meaning to sound harsh at you, it is the breeders who do this that I am really down on.

Hopefully @Mockinbirdiva is available and can help you with the information you need to feed your baby correctly and safely.
We'll see if she posts the information on the questions you asked.

Also.. @Lulu1983 Can you post a video of you hand feeding? The typical syringe used for feeding does not have the curved tip like the monoject syringe you show.

I would suggest a 10 ml syringe like this..

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
So many new owners handfeeding these days. I've seen so many threads lately.
It makes me sad. :(
It's a lot of work for experienced feeders, these new owners will be lucky if they succeed with no ill effects.
I wish selling unweaned babies to new bird owners was not done.

Wishing the OP all the best, please answer the questions in as much detail as you can.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hey Sonia @Lulu1983 , How are you getting on?

Lulu1983

Real Name
Sonia
Hi,
I went to a local petshop locking for a parrot and they told me it was best to get a baby or so she could get use to me
I had no idea it was so hard they didn’t teach me anything they only gave me a box some shredded pine and her baby good which is not labeled so I don’t know the name I have been giving her that 12ml syringe 3 times a day but she always seems hungry and quacking I’m trying to do the best I can I mix the formula with Luke warm water and I try to feed her slowing as some videos I have seen
And those people told me she was a girl EE170F55-EDD3-46AE-ACC6-EF4ACA9CC19B.jpeg

Attachments

Lulu1983

Real Name
Sonia
I feel very heartbroken that I made a bad decision of buying her at such young age I had no idea i had to be expiernced to feed her but I want to do the best I can I love her she’s been with me for two weeks

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Your baby is very sweet!
can you ask the seller which formula did they give you? It’s important to provide a nutritional formula, some breeders feed human cerelac, which is not a good start for baby birds.
how is the hand feeding going so far? Make sure you don’t give the formula cold or too hot.
also make sure you keep her warm at all times:)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have a thermometer you can use to check the formula is the right temperature?

If it is at all possible, answering all the questions in the earlier few posts of this thread will give the members who can correctly help you give you easy to follow helpful advise to keep your baby alive and blossoming. Please read through and answer as thoroughly as you can and the others will guide you along with the correct ways to do everything.

Did you manage to get a better syringe without a bend in it?

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
1CCC1914-BD20-4A89-A5B0-60A4ACDF71A1.jpeg
my cute dinosaur in March :D
61D7DA6D-3FB7-4C4B-954F-F253EB5A26A4.jpeg
The same dinosaur 2-3 weeks ago:heart:
They grow not in days, they grow in hours! Sometimes i miss him being so small, he used to like taking a nap on top of me,completely laying down ;( now he’s no longer a “cuddly” bird, he’s a grown independent man now :crycry: only allows himself being cute and sweet at nights before sleeping:sleep:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she always seems hungry and quacking
Quacking or Quaking? It is normal for quaker chicks to shake quite a bit when hungry.

I mix the formula with Luke warm water
This is bad. Boil some water, then make the formula, then stir it as it cools, let that temp drop, and watch it with a thermometre til it gets to 105F.
Then feed it. If you do not know how to hand feed, or this is your first time, then use a small metal teaspoon. Keep the food bowl in a Bain Marie to keep it warm while you feed.

After feeding, put her in a brooder and keep her warm. You can use a plastic box like pictures by Gokha above.

Call the shlop and ask the brand of food they gave you.