• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please

berda

Sitting on the front steps
I have recently adopted a cockatiel that is very aggressive he won't let me put my hand in his cage and I've had him for about 4 weeks now I've tried just about everything to get him to like me I've also tried new foods such as scrambled eggs millet sprays papaya and different types of things that cockatiels will like. The only thing I can get him to eat from my hands is millet spray but the minute I move he becomes this crazy Angry Bird again however his aggression is not changing at all. I have had his wings clipped so he doesn't try to fly away but when I take him out of the cage he just starts running around and is impossible to work with. I have tried gloves to take him out of the cage because he bites so fierce he draws blood. I'm worried that this may be his behavior forever. I am up to any suggestions anybody has I am a stay at home wife so I can work with him daily .... please help

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Your bird is adorable. The problem with tiels are that they are stubborn. First of all, your bird is gorgeous. How old is he. He looks young. Until he is comfortable with you, the cage is his home and he sees your hand as an intruder. It is better to talk to him and leave the cage door open and he will come out on his own. It is good that you are trying new foods. Unfortunately, you can't read a bird's mind. It took a lot of tries to get my tiel to eat veggies. Just keep offering and one day he might take it. Is he eating otherwise? Sometimes young birds don't eat well and revert to wanting to be hand fed. But only if he is not eating. It is hard to be sociable when you are hungry. The millet is good, now all you need is patience.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you're expecting too much from your new bird. And I think you need to slow down and start again with him. First, clipping wings to force training I don't think is a good idea. You're basically making your bird dependent on you instead of making him want to be with you. Part of his aggression could be that he's upset that he can't fly. Next, tiels are often cage territorial and don't like hands in their cage. And gloves are scary. I think you need to realize that he's scared- not mean. As Theresa said, it's better to let him come out on his own. Can you put a perch near the door and hang some millet there to encourage him to come out. Or you can try getting him to step up on a perch to come out instead of your hand. Also, tiels aren't generally fruit eaters so I wouldn't focus on giving him fruit, try vegetables instead. And although 4 weeks may seem long to you, it really isn't. It takes some tiels longer than others to adjust. You need to try to work at his pace and comfort level. And he does look young. Do you know how old he is? Please be patient with him. Tiels truly are lovely little birds. For now, I would focus on just sitting by his cage. Talking to him, even reading with him. Spending quiet time with and seeing if he'll come out by himself. Just give him some time. :) And welcome to the forum!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welcomesign:

Hi! Your bird is very cute! You have received some very good advice already. I agree, patience is vet important. Just try to do relaxing things near your bird. He is probably very scared. A good rule of thumb is to never force your bird to anything, try to figure out a way to make it his choice. Good luck!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome. :welcomeavenue:
Your 'Tiel is beautiful, and I agree on what's already been said. You have to put yourself in your birds position. He's in a new environment, and a huge stranger keeps coming after him. The moment you chase, or force a bird to do something you become a predator, which them being prey animals is a bad thing. You have to slow down, be patient and go at his pace. Open the cage door daily, see if he comes out on him own. He may come out in a few minutes, a few hours or not at all. You just have to be consistent and calm with the taming process.
For the diet, fruit usually isn't going to get anywhere with 'tiels. Try chopping up the veggies/fresh food small, and sprinkling some of his favorite treat in(Millet, seed etc.) to entice him. Here's a list of safe fresh food if you need one: Cockatiels, Healthy and Nutritious Safe Foods, Safe Fruits, Safe Fruits, Safe Vegetables, Safe Table foods for Cockatiels and Pet Birds. List of Safe Foods, Safe Fruits and Vegetables for Cockatiels and Pet Birds. What foods are safe to feed cockatiels,What do cockatiels eat, What table foods can cockatiels eat.>
Good luck, and keep us updated. :)
We love pictures! :D

Candace & Rudy

Moving in
Hi Welcome! @berda

It's going to take your bird lots of time and moving at your birds pace, this could take months! I am a new bird owner going through the same thing... Hopefully this will help training video by Manda&Rio
There is a lot you can do while he is in the cage to have positive interactions to build trust. Hang in there! It will all be worth it :)

berda

:birdance:well thank you guys first of all the bird in the picture is my cockatiel the one I rescued I haven't yet posted a picture but I will. I will get rid of the gloves and never use them again lol and I'll just continue to be patient and see if he comes around. I mean he is eating the millet spray from my hands so that's at least a huge advance from where he was when I got him.
One more question though do you think it's better to keep him in a cage with my teal or to keep him in his own cage?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:birdance:well thank you guys first of all the bird in the picture is my cockatiel the one I rescued I haven't yet posted a picture but I will. I will get rid of the gloves and never use them again lol and I'll just continue to be patient and see if he comes around. I mean he is eating the millet spray from my hands so that's at least a huge advance from where he was when I got him.
One more question though do you think it's better to keep him in a cage with my teal or to keep him in his own cage?
I think you have to just see how the two get along. Some cockatiels like to live in pairs, others don't. I think I would house them separately initially.

berda

Oh and I'm not sure how old my little guy is, he also was a rescue tiel.

berda

I've had him in my guys cage for a couple days. He seems to be more content in there. That's when he started letting me feed him millet. He did come out the top twice but he jumped down to the floor and I just let him explore for a bit before putting him back.

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
I've had him in my guys cage for a couple days. He seems to be more content in there. That's when he started letting me feed him millet. He did come out the top twice but he jumped down to the floor and I just let him explore for a bit before putting him back.

That sounds very promising!!! Coming along!!

berda

:cheer:update. I've been leaving the Cage open pretty much all day and he's been slowly exploring the outside world. I am now able to pet his head sometimes but at least he let's me near him. No hissing or biting anymore and he's not freaking out when I approach him. Yayyyy. I can take him from room to room (he has another cage in my room for bed) but only if I carry him on his swing. Spoiled much but I'm persistent on making him as happy as he can be. He is very weary when people are around so I wait till its just us to hang out. Him and my butters get along really good. They are together most of the time now except for one on one time. OH BTW ... NO MORE GLOVES. :cool5:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:cheer:update. I've been leaving the Cage open pretty much all day and he's been slowly exploring the outside world. I am now able to pet his head sometimes but at least he let's me near him. No hissing or biting anymore and he's not freaking out when I approach him. Yayyyy. I can take him from room to room (he has another cage in my room for bed) but only if I carry him on his swing. Spoiled much but I'm persistent on making him as happy as he can be. He is very weary when people are around so I wait till its just us to hang out. Him and my butters get along really good. They are together most of the time now except for one on one time. OH BTW ... NO MORE GLOVES. :cool5:

:congratsbig: You are getting the feel for it.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:dance4:What a great update!:dance4:glad to hear things are going so nicely!
:dance4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wonderful news! It sounds like you're making great progress. :)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
That is GREAT progress! I tamed a very aggressive cockatiel named Charlie. It took a few months for him to come around. He was so temperamental. If he came to you then you could pick him up, but you weren't able to try to get him. He did bond to me and would come searching for me in the living room or kitchen if I didn't return right away. Good luck with him! I'm sure you are going to be great friends :)