• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please! Limp cockatiel

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
I wish you good luck with everything. Hopefully he will be ok!!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck at the vets and sending hugs for you and your lil one :hug8:

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Best of luck sweetie and please keep us updated!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Other possible reasons for going lame could include a tumor pushing on a nerve, nerve damage in some other way, uric acid build-up in the legs and feet, usually caused by failing kidneys, a stuck egg in female birds, or???

This is something that will probably require blood work and possibly x-rays as well to find the cause of the issue. Heavy metal poisoning might be another possibility, although you'd probably notice other signs, too? Or maybe?

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Other possible reasons for going lame could include a tumor pushing on a nerve, nerve damage in some other way, uric acid build-up in the legs and feet, usually caused by failing kidneys, a stuck egg in female birds, or???

This is something that will probably require blood work and possibly x-rays as well to find the cause of the issue. Heavy metal poisoning might be another possibility, although you'd probably notice other signs, too? Or maybe?
I'm guessing that the normal poops eliminate the stuck egg, and reduce the likelihood of kidney issues. It might be caused by tumors on the kidneys or testicles, but based on my (limited) knowledge, this generally happens in older birds. There could also be some kind of infection involved that is causing inflammation.

There are simple signs of stroke that a vet can detect without invasive tests. If the vet does want to run a ton of tests, the main questions should be: "is the test medically necessary" and "how will the information gained from the test be useful in treatment?" The vet should be able to tell you what the point of the test is, why it should be done, and how this test is going to help determine an appropriate course of treatment.

My guess is that the goal is going to be to keep your guy stable (at least) and recovering (at best) until the avian vet is back from vacation.

Last edited:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm just going to put this out there just in case. I had a parakeet about 30 years ago that had similar symptoms. A week prior to her becoming lame I ran out of her food, it was around the time of an ice storm and I could not go farther than a nearby big box store. I just grabbed a small bag of food and once the roads were better I got her her normal food. The vet told me he thought her lameness was because of some type of pesticide that may have been sprayed in the store. I was angry but it was something I could neither prove or disprove. Needless to say I have never bought pet food at a big box store again.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm guessing that the normal poops eliminate the stuck egg, and reduce the likelihood of kidney issues. It might be caused by tumors on the kidneys or testicles, but based on my (limited) knowledge, this generally happens in older birds. There could also be some kind of infection involved that is causing inflammation.

There are simple signs of stroke that a vet can detect without invasive tests. If the vet does want to run a ton of tests, the main questions should be: "is the test medically necessary" and "how will the information gained from the test be useful in treatment?" The vet should be able to tell you what the point of the test is, why it should be done, and how this test is going to help determine an appropriate course of treatment.

My guess is that the goal is going to be to keep your guy stable (at least) and recovering (at best) until the avian vet is back from vacation.

Oddly, it is possible for a female bird to become "egg-bound" but still be able to pass poop. I've heard of 3 hens now (2 cockatiels and a budgie, if I recall right), who never passed their eggs, and the eggs calcified inside them. One hen had her egg for at least 6 months before it was removed, another for longer than that. As far as I know, this is an extremely rare occurrence.

A bird on a poor diet can become "old" a lot faster than a bird on a healthy diet.

Normal poops may be a good indication, but sometimes they don't tell all.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I hope your little one does okay at the vets and you can get him on the road to recovery as soon as possible. :hug8:

Saying a quick prayer for him, and when you have a chance please give us an update. :)

LizAaniax

Moving in
Hey all, as said before i'm new here so hoping this comment alerts you all??

Seen to two different vets today:

1- Just gave me a calcium solution and that was pretty much it.. I wasn't satisfied with that so went to another..

2- i'm yet to get an answer from her but i feel like she is taking better options for my tiel, on Monday pm he is booked in for an X ray and a cat scan! She mentioned the possibility of a stroke..

However she also said for his best interest i might have to think about him being PTS?!?
- To me that sounds madness as he appears so well in himself as his personality hasn't changed and is still determined to do things.. And as some of you said they recover :)

I'll keep you all updated as and when i have answers! I'm feeling positive as he's still chirping and whistling (best alarm clock i've ever had, bang on 6 every morning :p ) Still eating and trying to play with his favourite toy bell!

I still plan on going go the original appointment i had booked with the avian vet as well :)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm glad he did well at the vet's - I hope all the tests go well for him. :)

Most or all of the people who asked should be following this thread, so they should get the alert.

You could just tag them though, just type the '@' sign before their name. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
FAirly good news, but I'm really interested in what the Avian vet has to say.

Give her kisses for me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for updating. I hope the tests on Monday go well!

Last edited:

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Glad to hear the vet visit went well. Give the calcium. It won't hurt, and it can help. The other option is crushing a quarter of a tums on his food.
I'm actually a little surprised about the cat scan and x-ray, only because our vet avoids them with small birds.

BTW, is one pupil a significantly different size than the other? This is called anisocoria, and is often an indication of stroke. I'm not fixated on it being a stroke, it's just one of the better diagnoses in terms of recovery.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for the update. Hugs.