• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please! Limp cockatiel

LizAaniax

Moving in
Hey i'm new to this so I hope i'm posting in the correct area!

Lutino
Male
7 years
Super Tame

My cockatiel has been completely fine, he was completely fine in the morning before i went to work and when i came back he was at the bottom of his cage!

Both of his legs just do not move properly anymore, they move super slow and lame! I know he can feel them cause i've given them a light pinch and he squeals at it!

He tries his hardest to get back onto his perch but his feet will not grip! He eats (like a trooper) drinks and poops fine! And still chirps his head off in the morning so as such he's very well! (Top half up)

He seems happy (enough) shuffling along the floor but it's so horrible to watch :(

He is booked into the vets however the local avian vet is on holiday for the next 10 days!!!
So don't want to take him to any old vet!

I'm no bird expect so sorry if i sound daft but has he had a stroke? Or lack of something?!
Has anyone else had this? I've heard lutinos are prone to problems!

Is there anything i can do? What would be best for him if theres no simple fix?

He has never been a big flyer but his cage door is always left open and he loves coming out on top or pottering around the room so it's super distressing to see him sat in one spot! Ive moved all his pots for easy access!

Sorry this is long and a bit mumbled but any advise would be great, after having him 7years with no problems I'm so worried about him!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would highly advise that you take him to a vet ASAP. I realize that there is no avian vet available but perhaps you could find a non avian vet who has experience with birds. He could have a concussion, stroke, poisoning, etc ???? Keep him quiet and warm and get him to a vet. Hope he will be OK.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think he needs to see a vet now. Tiels can have strokes, seizures, etc. How long has he been like this?

And I don't believe lutinos are any more prone to problems than other tiels. At one point in time, I think that was true do to poor breeding, but I don't believe that to be the case any more (except for their tendency to have a bald spot under their crest.) I hope he will be okay.

@karen256 ? @Monica @Hankmacaw ? @blewin?

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I wouldn't hold off and wait for your vet- your bird needs attention right away.
The last thing anyone wants is for it to go unfixed and possibly cause further damage to your tiel

If you have no other avian vets in the area, are there some more of a distance away? Even an hour drive or so is worth it to save your bird.

LizAaniax

Moving in
I would highly advise that you take him to a vet ASAP. I realize that there is no avian vet available but perhaps you could find a non avian vet who has experience with birds. He could have a concussion, stroke, poisoning, etc ???? Keep him quiet and warm and get him to a vet. Hope he will be OK.
Ahh! Okay, i'll ring a different vets first thing tomorrow and get him in! it was them that told me to wait until the avian vet is back!! Feel like a terrible owner now!

LizAaniax

Moving in
I think he needs to see a vet now. Tiels can have strokes, seizures, etc. How long has he been like this?

And I don't believe lutinos are any more prone to problems than other tiels. At one point in time, I think that was true do to poor breeding, but I don't believe that to be the case any more (except for their tendency to have a bald spot under their crest.) I hope he will be okay.

@karen256 ? @Monica @Hankmacaw ? @blewin?
I'm going to ring a different vets first thing tomorrow now as it was them who told me to wait until the avian vet is back in! I feel awful now for even thinking to hang on 10days!
This happened Tuesday night!

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
He might have had a seizure and possibly a stroke. You need to get him to a vet NOW. If he is eating, drinking, and pooping fine, then you are probably out of the danger zone, but you still need to get him to a vet. Buddy had a stroke in February, and now you would never notice it. You need to have the vet do as complete a workup as possible, and you need to find another avian vet as a backup.

If the vet suggests putting your 'fid down, the answer is no. You also need to be very patient. Remove all the perches from the cage for now, make sure he can get easy access to food and water. We also put paper towels on the grate of Buddy's cage, so it would be easier for her to get around. You just have to change them frequently. Assuming it was a stroke, he will probably recover okay in time. BUT, it could be something else, and you need to make sure. Please keep us updated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm going to ring a different vets first thing tomorrow now as it was them who told me to wait until the avian vet is back in! I feel awful now for even thinking to hang on 10days!
This happened Tuesday night!
Don't feel bad. You're doing your best. Just try to get him in sooner somewhere and keep his as comfortable as possible.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Ahh! Okay, i'll ring a different vets first thing tomorrow and get him in! it was them that told me to wait until the avian vet is back!! Feel like a terrible owner now!
You're not a terrible owner. We all do the best that we can. Just be happy that he's eating and drinking okay. You also should start weighing him, to make sure that he doesn't lose weight. We had to hand-feed and water Buddy for two weeks after her stroke. That was a nightmare that hopefully you want have to go through.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You're not a terrible owner. We all do the best that we can. Just be happy that he's eating and drinking okay. You also should start weighing him, to make sure that he doesn't lose weight. We had to hand-feed and water Buddy for two weeks after her stroke. That was a nightmare that hopefully you want have to go through.
My tiel had a stroke too. The good news is- if that's what it is- tiels tend to recover well from strokes. However, that's just one possibility, which is why he needs to see a vet soon. As Blewin said, keep us posted.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The advice you have gotten from everyone is correct. He needs to see a vet.

LizAaniax

Moving in
I wouldn't hold off and wait for your vet- your bird needs attention right away.
The last thing anyone wants is for it to go unfixed and possibly cause further damage to your tiel

If you have no other avian vets in the area, are there some more of a distance away? Even an hour drive or so is worth it to save your bird.
I do honestly feel daft id even consider waiting! Ive wrote down all the numbers of local vets to find out who has bird experience and to get him in tomorrow!!

LizAaniax

Moving in
He might have had a seizure and possibly a stroke. You need to get him to a vet NOW. If he is eating, drinking, and pooping fine, then you are probably out of the danger zone, but you still need to get him to a vet. Buddy had a stroke in February, and now you would never notice it. You need to have the vet do as complete a workup as possible, and you need to find another avian vet as a backup.

If the vet suggests putting your 'fid down, the answer is no. You also need to be very patient. Remove all the perches from the cage for now, make sure he can get easy access to food and water. We also put paper towels on the grate of Buddy's cage, so it would be easier for her to get around. You just have to change them frequently. Assuming it was a stroke, he will probably recover okay in time. BUT, it could be something else, and you need to make sure. Please keep us updated.
I'm at the ready to ring all vets tomorrow to find out who has bird experience!!

I'll take his perch out now!
Thankyou for advice, ive already popped cardboard over his grate at the bottom!

Ill be sure to keep you all updated!

Out of interest if it is a stroke,
Did you just have to wait it out with your buddy? Or do you have to do leg exercises with strokes? Or give them anything extra?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
With my tiel, we just had to wait it out. I did make some dietary changes to try to help prevent future strokes. But for the stroke itself, at least my vet said, you just had to let him recover.

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
I agree with everyone. I can't give advice, but I hope for all the best with your little one!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A spinal injury could also cause the symptoms you are describing. Hope the vet figures it out and he is ok!

LizAaniax

Moving in
With my tiel, we just had to wait it out. I did make some dietary changes to try to help prevent future strokes. But for the stroke itself, at least my vet said, you just had to let him recover.
Thankyou for reply!
What changes do you make? :)
I know theyre all going to be different at recovery times but how long did your tiel take to get back to normal?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Might there be a pet emergency center nearby? Sometimes there is a vet on staff who might have experience with birds. Just a thought.
Hope your little one gets help soon.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I'm at the ready to ring all vets tomorrow to find out who has bird experience!!

I'll take his perch out now!
Thankyou for advice, ive already popped cardboard over his grate at the bottom!

Ill be sure to keep you all updated!

Out of interest if it is a stroke,
Did you just have to wait it out with your buddy? Or do you have to do leg exercises with strokes? Or give them anything extra?
We mostly just waited it out, let her nap on us, chill out on us when she was up. We also gave her a lot of rest time. Once she could stand, she started trying to grip, and we let her practice on our finger. Once she started gripping stronger (and it just happened one day), then we slowly put perches back in.

The great news is that birds are amazing when it comes to repairing brain injuries. It's been 6 months, and you'd never know that Buddy had a stroke.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry your little bird is not well. :( I hope you can find a good vet to take him too, and that he will be okay.:sadhug2: