• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP PLEASE! Cat ate plastic Christmas lights??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
So this morning I realized that Ood has apparently eaten three Christmas light bulbs off a strand of lights that was hanging from the ceiling. I didn't see him eat them and he is acting totally normally. I haven't seen cuts in his mouth or blood in his stool so far. The lights were plastic, not glass.

The reason I'm asking about this is because I've gotten the advice of two vets, who totally disagree. One (my "regular") says that I should bring him in for x-rays to be sure there are no blockages in his system. This will cost $300. Ood is insured, but even if the insurance covers I will have to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed. If I don't get reimbursed, I will definitely go hungry next month; I have already spent so much money on him that my veterinary fund is gone. Care credit isn't an option; my credit score is tanked. So please be gentle with me and try and understand that while I'm not rich, I had plenty until I had to spend almost $1000 over the last few months between Clancy's terminal illness and Ood's botched de-worming and kitty cold. I did everything I could to insure him, etc.

The other vet is saying there's no reason to jump to the conclusion that he ingested them whole and will get a blockage, and suggests that it makes more sense to wait and see if he seems to be having pain, bloody stool, or any other symptoms that indicate that he won't just pass the pieces with no problems. That vet feels that the insurance company might not cover him because x-rays at this stage aren't "medically necessary".

Please, I need advice. Should I wait, or have him seen for x-rays today? He's acting totally normally, energetic, eating fine. I haven't seen him poop, but I'm not home right now, so he may have by now. I know he pooped right before I woke up this morning (his scratching in the box woke me).
The sooner you guys can respond, the better. Right now he has a 2 pm appointment, but I really need to save the money if this isn't actually necessary. I know my regular vet can sometimes be a bit alarmist, or I wouldn't ask.

Thanks!

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
UPDATE:

Sorry, right after I posted this my boyfriend found a bunch of pieces of the light bulbs -- it would appear that Ood didn't actually eat them, or if he did eat any there wasn't much. Most of the pieces were on the floor!

So I think we're going to wait and see if he shows any symptoms; if not, we'll assume he didn't swallow any.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
i don't know what you should do, but my childhood cat once ate a couple deflated balloons, and just pooped them out a couple days later. if it were me, i might wait a couple days, and try to check his poop.

with birds i feel a little different, i always say "go to the vet!", but they just seem so fragile, and the way they hide illness is scary, but with cats i feel a little different. it seems like you know when something is wrong. this isn't advice though, just a thought.

EDIT: oops, nevermind. we just posted at the same time. ^^

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
The decision is up to you but this is what I would do. Go to the health food store and buy some slippery elm powder and mix it (1 tsp SE to 4 tsp water). Feed some of the slippery elm to your cat. You can also give the bird some peanut butter or both. The SE and PB will bind to any small objects to help pass the GI tract. The slippery elm is very slippery and coats the digestive tract and should there be any bleeding it will help control it.

Admins, I suggest this is moved to the 911 section so when it reaches the search engines viewers will know some options should it happen to them.

Gary

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The decision is up to you but this is what I would do. Go to the health food store and buy some slippery elm powder and mix it (1 tsp SE to 4 tsp water). Feed some of the slippery elm to your bird. You can also give the bird some peanut butter or both. The SE and PB will bind to any small objects to help pass the GI tract. The slippery elm is very slippery and coats the digestive tract and should there be any bleeding it will help control it.
Gary, how is this going to help the CAT!?!:cat::lol:

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Im sorry but when i first read this, i got the vision from the cat in the movie National lampoons Vacation, when the cat ate the light...:lol: Im sorry, I'm sorry, i couldn't help it. Anyways, I'm not an expert w/cats but I probably ride it out and see how he is does...i too was thinking wouldn't he poop this out??? but like i said, no cat expert...keep us posted though...:hug8:

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
:hehe:

He has been doing fine so far, not straining to use the box, no cuts in his mouth, and we think we found all the pieces on the floor. If he did swallow any, they were really small.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom, just for general knowledge CC did NOT get any and we swept up all the pieces, so I'm not concerned about her, just Ood.

As it is the slippery elm at the store was like $40 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and since I am currently working on $20 a week for food for me, I don't exactly have that kind of money to blow. If he seems to struggle to use the box or be in any pain, I'll take him to my vet right away (they know and are on standby) or to the emergency vet at UPenn. He is insured, so if that happens I would get reimbursed. (Though it would be pretty painful. But things like this are the reason I got the insurance in the first place!)

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
if he did eat any little pieces he will probably throw them up or poop them out.. my cat eats weird stuff all the time. just watch him and make sure but i think he will be fine :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.