• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please~baby mourning dove found

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I just found a wet, exhausted baby mourning dove. The parents are flying around, but with at least six loose cats just across the street, on a cold rainy day, I am afraid this guy won't make it so I caught him. I need to know how to care for him until he's ready to go back please.He can fly, but very little.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Anyone?

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
There is a member here who has rescued and raised several doves and pigeons. I can't remember her username but if you did a little searching I'm sure she'd be willing to help you out. I'll look around and let you know. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I know Kelsey does, there is someone else with them in their signature but I cannot remember who. I sent Kelsey a PM.{chompie puppy}

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I think it might be Birdbabe. I think she just took them out of her signature. She recently rescued a pigeon from home depot.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carole, can you hang the cage outside with the door open(where cats can't reach) so the parents can take care of him?

A few years back my cat brought one into the house:eek: not a mark on it and she was trying to keep it warm:huh: I took it away and put it outside for the frantic parents to take care of. They did a great job, I did put food out so they would not have to leave the baby unattended.
Baby did fine and they lived in my tree :heart:

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
This is an older Dove baby, I think btw 3-4 weeks of age. The Doves in our area, fledge and wean by 6 weeks of age, generally.

We raised a newly hatched Dove baby some years ago, and fed parrot hand feeding formula. As the baby got older, I added whole grain bread soaked in warm water or organic juice, fed from my fingers. Then went on to offer seeds, etc. until the baby learned to eat on its own.

He/she grew and feathered well, fledged and was successfully released in the backyard, and will still fly down and perch on the arm of your chair or in your lap, now and again. :) Cute baby!

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Carole, can you hang the cage outside with the door open(where cats can't reach) so the parents can take care of him?

A few years back my cat brought one into the house:eek: not a mark on it and she was trying to keep it warm
No, these are serious hunters. If the cats don't get him, my resident blacksnakes would. Plus, my trees are only huge live oaks with limbs that tower above. No way to reach them. Thanks for the suggestion though. He can go back when he's ready.:)
Thanks for the info Shelly!!:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ok, thanks so much. His crop felt fairly full when I picked him up, so I have some time.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we rescued one about t hree years ago...we fed her cockatiel seed and also pablum...baby food but mixed iwth water instead of milk...

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Jani (Alessa) also raised orphan doves. I would get in touch with her. Do you have a conservancy or nature center near you?

Ginger

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I rescued one before. It was a baby and injured, couldn't fly. we took it to an animal rescue.

You can buy dove food at petco. it's with the wild bird seed. it's cheap or offer it regular bird seed. My white dove eats regular seed, canary seed, niger seed, even wildbird seed but she picks through it. they also love corn. try offering differnent kind of seeds.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yay..I called the Audubon Society and a lady answered. She gave me the number to a wildlife rescue. It turns out she was only 10 minutes from me, in Belle Isle. I took him and dropped him off for her to care for him. She picked him up, stretched out his wing, felt his crop, and said he looked real good and full of seed. When I called she said she would fire up the brooder. So that is great, he's in a safe place with someone who knows what they are doing. I really did not want to keep him here. Wildlife and keeping pet birds, really does not mix IMO.:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Sorry that I am late to this thread! I just woke up - darn timezone differences!! :p

I'm so glad that you got the little guy to a carer! Yay!

Apart from getting him to a wildlife rehabilitation carer, the only advice I would have been able to offer was to join Pigeon-Talk - Powered by vBulletin

They are a group of the nicest people you would ever meet. :) They helped me endlessly with Wonka and saved her life on a number of times. It is an active forum with lots of helpful members. Almost like Avian Avenue, but with pigeons! :D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Kelsey! I know you would have helped in any you could. I did join the pigeon place, but never got a chance to post before I made the choice to try for a rescue. I figured I would never get through to anyone on Superbowl Sunday. I am so grateful for people who devote their lives to helping the little lost babies.:)
Thanks to all!:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The woman at the rescue gave me her newsletter, and some business cards. Do you think she would mind if I called in a few weeks to ask how he was doing? When would a dove normally be ready to go free on his own?:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Three cheers for you for saving this dove and getting him to where he can be helped. :laughing12:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Marie.:hug8: I thought about it, then thought it best for him to be with someone experienced with caring for doves. I would not forgive myself if something bad had happened to him because I was inexperienced. I was so happy I was able to find someone willing to take him on a Sunday. Too bad he won't be coming back here for release.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
The woman at the rescue gave me her newsletter, and some business cards. Do you think she would mind if I called in a few weeks to ask how he was doing? When would a dove normally be ready to go free on his own?:)
when I took the little dove in I found to the wildlife rescue, they had something printed on the literature or somewhere about being short staffed and busy caring for sick and injured wildlife and they were sorry but could not provide updates by phone. so I never got the update on the little one I took in, but they said the prognosis was good because the bird was in good condition, just had a wing injury.

Look on the literature she gave you. if it doesn't mention anything about "No calls for updates" then I guess it's okay to call. sometimes those places do updates on their website.

So glad you found a place for him to get appropriate medical attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.