• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help.... Owner at a loss of what to do now

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Hi there,

As you've probably seen from my posts before, I have 2 Indian Ringnecks with very different personalities (not the issue here). I need help and advice more than anything else. Today was the worst day ever trying to get my birds in. I say birds one is easy you say step on when she's on her door and she'll go in no problem asked. The other my boy he's usually harder to get in but will eventually stay on me long enough that I can get him in quite easily. Today every time I brough him closer to the cage he'd fly off or try and get to a point of the cage where he thinks I can't reach. After going back and forth for an hour (maybe more) enticing him with different things he loves, I sadly had to resort to what I've seen called the "T-shirt/blanket method" and catch him that way. I've never done this to my birds before and I hated having to do it and now left with this horrible guilty feeling that I've broken my birds trust.

1) if I have lost my birds trust, how can I fix this because normally he comes to me takes a nut let's me stroke his head all sorts, we've never had this issue and I've never had to do this, but 1 I didn't wanna stress him out by keep getting him from the window and him flying away again/ being too tired / doing more harm than good
2) how can I fix this going forward, both my birds have had the same training etc but of course any bird owner knows 2 birds aren't the same (which I get and love) but I need a more suggestions on better ways to fix this

And lastly, just for more clarification, they had both had 2 and a half hours out of there cage prior to the hour trying to get them back in. So it wasn't that they hadn't had enough time out or anything like that.

I just need some advice and help on this, even if I have broken the trust of my bird (which was never my intention) I already feel bad enough right now so please no hate

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
How long have you had them?

I had to do that once with my male ringneck about a month after I got him, and he got over it after a few days. I just kept giving him treats and sitting with him.

I’ve only had this one ringneck, but he seems more forgiving and less moody than other species I have (grey) or have had (Meyer’s).

Just give him space and lots of treats. I wouldn’t let him out for a day or two until he’s recovered from you catching him.

Mine always has to be lured back to his cage with a small piece of nut. He loves to perch on me and my hand, but he’s also super smart and naughty is not easy to put back without a treat.

Good luck!

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much! At least it's reassuring to know trust can be learnt back with time and i haven't burnt bridges too badly.
I've had them over a year Ive had them from the age of 7 weeks and finished there hand rearing them, so had them about 13 months and this is the first time I've ever had to do this.

Normally a small nut does the trick to get them both back in but for some reason today nothing was working