• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help on reading a band & getting info

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I'm a bit puzzled by the numbers here - I'm not sure how it's definite that the macaw is under 30. If they were breeding from 1976 and had babies then, the oldest the bird could be is 44. If the kind of band wasn't used after the mid-1980s, then we're looking at an age range of mid-thirties to mid-forties.

The youngest the macaw could be is 15 if she was one of their last chicks, which is still a couple of years older than the 11 you were told.
Sorry for the confusion, but she did not initially breed large birds - so the youngest B&G would be about 15 and the oldest would be under 30.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

S13Fire

Moving in
I had the pleasure of speaking with Joanne several times. She retired in the late 80's, early 90s. She raised every large macaw species successfully and was recognized globally as an expert on macaws, especially in aviculture. A bird of her breeding would be at least 30 years old.
I'm a bit puzzled by the numbers here - I'm not sure how it's definite that the macaw is under 30. If they were breeding from 1976 and had babies then, the oldest the bird could be is 44. If the kind of band wasn't used after the mid-1980s, then we're looking at an age range of mid-thirties to mid-forties.

The youngest the macaw could be is 15 if she was one of their last chicks, which is still a couple of years older than the 11 you were told.
Right?! And before I found you guys I asked on a Macaw FB page & someone showed me a company that does still sell the round bands, however with what you guys have taught me by figuring out who the breeder of her is, then maybe she could actually be on the lower end about 15 years old? Maybe the person who said they contacted her will get even more answers? I truly appreciate the help so far. It’s more than what I had but I sure would love to know her age at least. Such a big span we are looking at.

S13Fire

Moving in
Sorry for the confusion, but she did not initially breed large birds - so the youngest B&G would be about 15 and the oldest would be under 30.
Thank you! No worries about the confusion. Always happy for any new information.

S13Fire

Moving in
I heard back from the breeder! She is going to attempt to locate the documentation.
OH MY GOSHHHH!!! I’m so beyond excited to hear this!!! I cannot ever thank you enough!!! You are such a rockstar! Can you please thank her for me for trying to find documentation & let her know this is such a great bird. I’m just thrilled! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

S13Fire

Moving in
I heard back from the breeder! She is going to attempt to locate the documentation.
Hi! Just checking in & wondering if the breeder has told you if she had any luck yet with finding an age for my girl?
I know it must be a lot to go through old records & I appreciate every effort on her & your part.
thanks so much!!!

S13Fire

Moving in
You are AMAZING!!!!! Thank you SO very much!!!!! I appreciate your efforts & would love any update Of any other information if possible!! Again, thank you!! I came up with zero. I would just like to know anything I can about her.
I did some digging; the breeder was Raintree Macaws. Raintree Macaws was in business from January 1976 to July 2005, therefore your macaw is definitely under the age of 30. I reached out to get more information from the owner. I’ll update you if I get more details.
I guess the breeder never found any information on my birds hatch date? Thank you for contacting her. Maybe she will have some information & hasn’t located it yet. I am just hopeful & thought I’d ask.

BirdLady13

I guess the breeder never found any information on my birds hatch date? Thank you for contacting her. Maybe she will have some information & hasn’t located it yet. I am just hopeful & thought I’d ask.
Sorry for the delay. I sent her an e-mail looking for an update, but so far I haven't heard back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

S13Fire

Moving in
Sorry for the delay. I sent her an e-mail looking for an update, but so far I haven't heard back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
No need to be sorry, I am happy for your efforts & am anxious to find out anything & just thought I’d check. I didnt want to be a pain. I’m keeping my fingers crossed too. Lol. Many thanks!!

S13Fire

Moving in
I did some digging; the breeder was Raintree Macaws. Raintree Macaws was in business from January 1976 to July 2005, therefore your macaw is definitely under the age of 30. I reached out to get more information from the owner. I’ll update you if I get more details.
Hi again! :)
Just updating.
well, I guess there’s no information from Raintree Macaws on my bird which is disappointing but I did have bloodwork done and my Vet says she thinks the bird is not too old because her bloodwork came back perfect.

BirdLady13

Hi again! :)
Just updating.
well, I guess there’s no information from Raintree Macaws on my bird which is disappointing but I did have bloodwork done and my Vet says she thinks the bird is not too old because her bloodwork came back perfect.
I just sent her another e-mail; unfortunately my last follow-up request was not acknowledged. Keep your fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed: