• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help on improving enclosures

Flo99

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Florencia Rocco
Hi! I’m new to this forum, all the way from Chile. My dad has been keeping birds for many years, all kinds of them (mostly exotic), such as macaws, eclectus, African greys, Indian ringnecks, lorikeets, Australian king parrots, a toucan, budgies and cockatiels.

I’ve been helping him by making them different kinds of toys with him, but I would also like to give him ideas on how to make the enclosures look more natural for the birds.

The enclosures have cement floors, so I’m not sure about how to incorporate more natural-looking elements, apart from adding more hanging wooden perches and planters with branches.

I’ll add pictures of some of the enclosures (in one picture you can see some small temporary cages, since he’s also remodeling one of the large enclosures).

I’d really appreciate any help given, I’m very interested in improving the birds’ quality of life. Thanks!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Welcome! What a beautiful space!

You could add some bird-safe plants. Keep in mind they tend to destroy them, so you'll probably have to rotate them out to give them a chance to recover. Just make sure if they're store bought that they didn't use any pesticides or other chemicals on them. You can also cut some bird safe dried branches to hang.

Another thought is using food for enrichment. Hanging wet greens for example. Skewers are great (and make it easy) for hanging large chunks of fresh foods for them to forage on. Whole pumpkins and other squashes would be great for that too (make sure the pumpkins aren't waxed).

You could use shallow foraging trays filled with smaller rocks to offer different foods in (make sure the rocks are cleaned).

Climbing nets are often made of rope and may give a more natural look.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Thick sisal ropes hung from the ceiling would add to the fun and the looks!