• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help of sex

Bird.l.

Moving in
Hi. I have a love bird, it came into my home and we had to catch it so my four cats wouldn't eat him/her.
No one claimed him/her so we have decided to keep him/her.
However I don't know what sex it is, I have read to press a point between its legs to determine however he/she isn't the friendliest and is difficult to catch.
I have noticed he/she is doing some kind of mating dance? Where it couches down and flicks it wings up and down?
Also he/she makes a sort of nest In the nest box, with some peieces it finds in its cage?
Can anyone help me to know the sex?

Attachments

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Welcome to the forum, thanks for rescuing her.:D
Also he/she makes a sort of nest In the nest box, with some peieces it finds in its cage?
Birds don't need nest boxes and since they cause hormonal behaviour, I would remove it:)

@Zara can help with the sexing.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

r I don't know what sex it is, I have read to press a point between its legs to determine however he/she isn't the friendliest and is difficult to catch.
This in´t helpful for you if you have nothing to comapre to, so you won´t know if those bones are wide or narrow.

Sounds more like what females do.
But this isn´t an accurate way of sexing. You will need to have a DNA test done to know... or wait for an egg to be laid.

I would remove the nest box, it´s unneccessary. Lovebirds sleep on natural perches.

Bird.l.

Moving in
Thankyou, the box was on the cage from birds I had before. If I remove the box, the cage will have a hole and he/she will be able to escape.
I can cover it up in the meantime.
Will a female bird lay an egg without the presence of a male?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
, the box was on the cage from birds I had before. If I remove the box, the cage will have a hole and he/she will be able to escape.
Take the box off, tkae the two L hooks from the front of the box, then screw/hammer them into the back. Now hang it again and it will just be a plank of wood blocking the doorway.
This will be ok for temporary.
In the long run, either move her to a new cage with no hole in, or get a piece of hard plastic larger than the hole, drill holes in the corners and then use tie straps or screws, washers and nuts to fix it to the cage to cover the hole area.