• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help new lovebird mom

Chela1976

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Isela Aviles
I picked up two baby lovebirds from an elderly woman who could not tell me much about them. She said the hatched in june. They are fully feathered. She gave me the formula but they dont seem to want it. Im thinking they should be eating on thier own. But im worried.
now. Old are they I have two boys one is 3 months, the other two months women was giving to me the other I bought, and they are eating already, you should call the pet store or a vet, good luck

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you, they are doing great, a little shy. They still have thier nest box and they use it at night.
Glad they are doing well :)
I still recommend a cage for them. You can put the nest box inside the cage so they can sleep in it or retreat there for security. Just be sure to remove it before the 4 month mark.

Lisap

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa Pierce
I have them in a cage, I will move them to a bigger cage soon. They are playing eating and making plenty of noise. Why remove the nest box, just curious? Here is a picture, they are hiding in the nest box.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks good :) This is a great sized cage for the little ones for now while they adjust to cage life. I also use a smaller cage to do the transition. :)

Why remove the nest box, just curious?
When they hit 4-5 months old, your birds will start sexually maturing, it´s wise to not have nest boxes after this as is can pressure them into wanting to seek a mate and breed. It can stress the two birds and even make them fight if they find they are not compatible. If you have a hen, you really want to try to delay egg laying as much as possible, a box will make a hen want to lay and she will get territorial over the box.
Let them keep their box a couple of weeks more while they are adjusting to the cage. After that, your birds will be fine sleeping on a nice natural perch :)

Lisap

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa Pierce
Thank you so much for the awsome information