• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roo4422

Moving in
Real Name
Koryssa
Hello all, i wouls like to start off by stating that i am very new to parrot ownership and that I am thankful for any input!
Lolo is a 13-20 y/o Amazon, I got her given to me 3 days ago from a woman who owns the barn I board my horse at. She was wanting to rehome her due to her not having enough time for her as well as Lolo being depressed. Lolo did attack her as well though at her last owner (her first) she was a house pet and was very loved and spoiled. . Knowing that she could be a hand full I have read many forums on this website and others as well as many videos ect..
Fast forward to getting Lolo,
Right off the bat (5mins in) she was reaching for me, eating from my hand, getting on my shoulder and letting me pet her. She lets my fiance as well though when she is on my shoulder she bites at him. She lets pretty much anyone pick her up though always goes for the shoulders. She is typically very sweet and seems like she has been a very lonely bird.

Tonight she wanted my mother, so I let her go to her and my mom was done with her as she is frightened of birds to a point and when I went to ask her to step up she went to bite at me. We had to bribe her with treats to return to her stand.
I guess I just want to know that I am doing the right actions in putting her back when she acts thi way. As well as reaching out for tips in training for her not to threaten biting when asking her to return.

Thank you Snapchat-2120241135.jpg

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The key is not to reward her for things you don't want her to do.
If she's biting because she wants to go back to her stand, that is rewarding it.
Two suggestions:
train her to step up onto a stick so you can move her without getting bitten
check out clicker training/positive reinforcement. Some of the big names are Barbara Heidenreich, and Lara Joseph at the Animal Behavior Center.
It is also good to read some Dr. Susan Friedman.

Roo4422

Moving in
Real Name
Koryssa
Thank you i will look into the other threads! She never wants to really be on her stand she is always asking to be held by anyone (almost) and then gives them a hard time when they want her off or if I try and get her to step up she will act lile she is going to bite me. So I think the stick training will be beneficial! I'm willing to put in the work! I want her to be happy here thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatoo is a complete shoulder bird too. That's immediately where he wants to go. You just have to be careful about shoulders and bites. Being on a shoulder is definitely a matter of trust because of the close proximity to the face.

Roo4422

Moving in
Real Name
Koryssa
My cockatoo is a complete shoulder bird too. That's immediately where he wants to go. You just have to be careful about shoulders and bites. Being on a shoulder is definitely a matter of trust because of the close proximity to the face.
Lolo almost refuses to stay anywhere else but, even in just a few days she is getting better. I feel like she doesn't trust humans to balance her.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lolo almost refuses to stay anywhere else but, even in just a few days she is getting better. I feel like she doesn't trust humans to balance her.
I suggest letting the bird ride on the forearm. If you bend your elbow tight to your body, you mau be able to keep the bird from climbing up.

You're in a honeymoon period now. That will wear off. I love my guys but have never let them on my shoulder. One bite on your face or eye can be nasty. Why risk it?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
By the way, remember to look at eyes. In your picture (beautiful by the way), the zons eyes are pinned (or starting to). Excited or mad, the eyes tell the story. Either of those can generate a bite.

Roo4422

Moving in
Real Name
Koryssa
I suggest letting the bird ride on the forearm. If you bend your elbow tight to your body, you mau be able to keep the bird from climbing up.

You're in a honeymoon period now. That will wear off. I love my guys but have never let them on my shoulder. One bite on your face or eye can be nasty. Why risk it?
I agree, and I would like to keep nasty bites from happening. This morning I have been working on her sitting on my forearm while I am sitting down and she seems more comfortable. I think I will go get some training tools later today and really work on stick and clicker training. my biggest thing is wanting safety for both her handlers and herself I wouldnt want to put her in a position to get hurt or traumatised by a human reaction to a natural animal reaction.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
The eyes of an amazon are their warning system as @Clueless has mentioned. Very important to pay attention and definitely get her trained to sit on your forearm and not your shoulders. I too am relatively new to amazons (adopted Cocoa 8 months ago) and recently the sweet honeymoon ended and the hormones and attitude kicked in. Long story short I have a tiny notch now missing from my ear. When she is an angel, she is a sweetheart but when she is a devil, look out!
:angel4:

Roo4422

Moving in
Real Name
Koryssa
The eyes of an amazon are their warning system as @Clueless has mentioned. Very important to pay attention and definitely get her trained to sit on your forearm and not your shoulders. I too am relatively new to amazons (adopted Cocoa 8 months ago) and recently the sweet honeymoon ended and the hormones and attitude kicked in. Long story short I have a tiny notch now missing from my ear. When she is an angel, she is a sweetheart but when she is a devil, look out!
:angel4:
Yes! This is what I have been thinking. She can't be this easy all the time! Training to commence today!!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes! This is what I have been thinking. She can't be this easy all the time! Training to commence today!!!
When I put my zons in the cage, I reward with a treat. Always make the cage a good place to be. If not, those stinkers can scurry out quickly and that's not fun.

I used human grade pumpkin seeds (NO SALT!!!), currently using human grade almond slivers (no salt, got in baking aisle of grocery store) because I was told pumpkin seeds had fat and Secret (although scrawny) is on low fat diet for health issues.

Have fun!!!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes! For a full-figured, seemingly clumsy kind of gal, Cocoa can move like lightening when she wants! :laughin:
Mine can stretch too.

I started the treats for myself.

I figured out quickly that a parrot on a stick can stretch 4 feet tall to swing on the top of the door..... all to stay out of his cage!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Lolo. Very pretty YNA. Be careful with letting her ride on your shoulder. My YNA's previous human used to let her ride on his shoulder and one day she unexpectedly latched onto his earlobe and almost pierced his ear. Having a t-stick/dowel/perch available for your YNA to step up on is a good idea.
In addition to eye pinning, other signs of excitement and possible warning of aggression are tail flaring and ruffling of the head feathers.

Roo4422

Moving in
Real Name
Koryssa
Success yesterday with some forearm riding, though she is terrified of the stick I got to train her with and will run from it !

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Success yesterday with some forearm riding, though she is terrified of the stick I got to train her with and will run from it !
Great on the forearm!

Stick training takes a while. You may want to try letting letting him step from your arm to the stick. Hold the stick above the forearm..... often they want to get higher so he may step up that way.