• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help needed!

Lorrikeet4

Moving in
Hi guys! A couple of months back we started walking our elderly neighbor's dog, and as we got to know her we realized that she has an African grey that bit her as a teenager 20 years ago, requiring plastic surgery. She hasn't taken him out since. She's a great person but it hurts my soul to see him sitting alone in his cage all day. He only liked her husband, who has since passed on. What can I do to help him? My dad is currently trying to make friends but I don't know if it's safe or not. He hasn't gone out of his cage in about 17 years. (the bird, not my dad lol) I don't want to hurt her feelings but I always feel so bad for him. Because she bit him, she's afraid to even put her hand in the cage. (the cage is OK, maybe 3 feet by 2 feet, but not nearly enough for being kept in for 17 years.) He gets fed and all seed diet with veggies and fruits occasionally, and my neighbor talks to him a lot, but he never EVER gets taken out.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
:bump4: for better visibility

I hope your able to help him for find a good home for him

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is she looking for a new home for this bird or is she fine with the arrangement she currently has? You need to be very careful interfering with other peoples pets and their relationships or husbandry skills as some get rather set in their ways or feel that things are just fine as they are and you can easily find yourself as an unwelcome visitor/friend. I hope that maybe your neighbor might be open to you making friends with this bird and maybe letting it out for a bit each day, do you think this is possible?

Lorrikeet4

Moving in
She seems to care a lot about him so I think if we can get her not to be scared anymore, she might interact with him. He seems to like men more than women.

Lorrikeet4

Moving in
So I have previously posted a more in-depth backstory about Ali, a neighbor's African Grey. He's been cage-bound for 20 or so years after he bit my neighbor to the point where she needed reconstructive plastic surgery. She's elderly and has been afraid to take Ali out since, and even hates putting her hand in his cage for fear of being bitten. My dad and I have always felt bad for Ali, with few toys, an all-seed diet, and no hands-on interaction, and my dad has been trying to make friends so maybe Ali can come out. He doesn't display any signs of aggression that I know of, (I have been reading a lot about body language), and he likes scritches through the cage bars, though he accepts them warely. What is the best way to go about making him comfortable with people? (I won't say taming because he seems to be tame) My dad stopped pushing Ali after he got a little nip, just enough to draw a pinprick of blood. We don't know why he did it, but we don't believe it was an aggressive nip because he wasn't showing any signs of aggression. He didn't even bite down very much but my dad believes when he pulled back his finger it got caught on his beak. Still, better safe than sorry. He accepts people putting their hands in his cage, and he doesn't show any territorial behavior, but he kind of climbs away or sits looking. He takes food from people rather reluctantly, but he still does. Thoughts? (upvoting would be much appreciated as I need as much input as possible)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She seems to care a lot about him so I think if we can get her not to be scared anymore, she might interact with him. He seems to like men more than women.
That would be awesome if you were able to help her or get her some help to reconnect with her little feather buddy.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Monica might give you some easy to follow tips for getting this guy to be more trusting.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bump

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd be tempted to buy a small bag of "parrot pellets" (preferably dye free) and say, "I hear this is good for parrots, can I see if he likes some?" and offer the pellets in a new dish.

Ideally though, you would want to figure out what Ali's favorite treats are and any time anyone walks by the cage, they can drop that treat into a special treat cup. Once Ali looks forward to this interaction, try some target training through the cage bars. Ali may be afraid of the target, so you may need to counter condition Ali to it. This could be standing 10' back and showing Ali the target from behind your back, hiding it, no reaction, say "Good" or "Yes", walk up, give reward, walk back, repeat numerous times - getting slowly closer. If Ali reacts, go further back and don't proceed until Ali is comfortable. Once Ali is okay with the target, proceed with training through the cage bars.

Once Ali can target to any location within the cage, work on training through the open door and eventually around the outside of the cage before attempting training away from the cage.

Lorrikeet4

Moving in
I'd be tempted to buy a small bag of "parrot pellets" (preferably dye free) and say, "I hear this is good for parrots, can I see if he likes some?" and offer the pellets in a new dish.

Ideally though, you would want to figure out what Ali's favorite treats are and any time anyone walks by the cage, they can drop that treat into a special treat cup. Once Ali looks forward to this interaction, try some target training through the cage bars. Ali may be afraid of the target, so you may need to counter condition Ali to it. This could be standing 10' back and showing Ali the target from behind your back, hiding it, no reaction, say "Good" or "Yes", walk up, give reward, walk back, repeat numerous times - getting slowly closer. If Ali reacts, go further back and don't proceed until Ali is comfortable. Once Ali is okay with the target, proceed with training through the cage bars.

Once Ali can target to any location within the cage, work on training through the open door and eventually around the outside of the cage before attempting training away from the cage.
These are both really good ideas! I have a little lovebird and he's target trained, so I know how to do it. My neighbor really likes to give people gifts (all the family, including the bird and my dog) so maybe I can gift her some when we next come buy. Or maybe I can get a bag of pellets that was "too big for our lovebird" and give it to Ali.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Hi guys! A couple of months back we started walking our elderly neighbor's dog, and as we got to know her we realized that she has an African grey that bit her as a teenager 20 years ago, requiring plastic surgery. She hasn't taken him out since. She's a great person but it hurts my soul to see him sitting alone in his cage all day. He only liked her husband, who has since passed on. What can I do to help him? My dad is currently trying to make friends but I don't know if it's safe or not. He hasn't gone out of his cage in about 17 years. (the bird, not my dad lol) I don't want to hurt her feelings but I always feel so bad for him. Because she bit him, she's afraid to even put her hand in the cage. (the cage is OK, maybe 3 feet by 2 feet, but not nearly enough for being kept in for 17 years.) He gets fed and all seed diet with veggies and fruits occasionally, and my neighbor talks to him a lot, but he never EVER gets taken out.
Hi! I think you just need to start from the beginning. It is like having a new bird. For a week or two let your dad sit next to the cage and talk with Ali. Once Ali gets used to your dad. Let your dad wear gloves and protective items so that he doesn't get hurt. Then, try to feed Ali between the cage bars. I don't have that much info, hope this helps.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
(I have been reading a lot about body language)
I haven't watched it myself yet, but Lafaeber has put out a series that's specific to African Greys including one on behaviour. I'd also look up wingNpaws on youtube.

If they just sit there and stare at you when you offer something that's a firm "no, do not want." If you push it they'll raise their shoulder feathers and look at you like, "didn't I just tell I did not want that?" One of mine will take the thing I've offered then drop it as a final warning as he glares at me. And pushing anything beyond this point will be an invitation to get bit. They're not like other species that will interact with others in the wild (amazons and conures and macaws at clay licks) who have big grand "crest up!" body language to their get their point across, they stick to themselves so their language is far more subtle.

Lorrikeet4

Moving in
Hi! I think you just need to start from the beginning. It is like having a new bird. For a week or two let your dad sit next to the cage and talk with Ali. Once Ali gets used to your dad. Let your dad wear gloves and protective items so that he doesn't get hurt. Then, try to feed Ali between the cage bars. I don't have that much info, hope this helps.
Yep, my dad has been doing that. He talks to him quite a bit and I chop up apples and stuff so he can feed Ali. I would do it myself but Ali seems to like men a lot more than women, so we don't want to push our luck. Thanks for the advice!

Lorrikeet4

Moving in
I haven't watched it myself yet, but Lafaeber has put out a series that's specific to African Greys including one on behaviour. I'd also look up wingNpaws on youtube.

If they just sit there and stare at you when you offer something that's a firm "no, do not want." If you push it they'll raise their shoulder feathers and look at you like, "didn't I just tell I did not want that?" One of mine will take the thing I've offered then drop it as a final warning as he glares at me. And pushing anything beyond this point will be an invitation to get bit. They're not like other species that will interact with others in the wild (amazons and conures and macaws at clay licks) who have big grand "crest up!" body language to their get their point across, they stick to themselves so their language is far more subtle.
Thank you! This is really helpful and I'll be sure to watch it!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please don’t encourage your dad to wear gloves to interact with this bird. I don’t recall you saying anything about him wearing gloves but I see it was suggested to do so. It’s unnatural and intimidating for them then they just have to re learn to trust the bare hands.

If you ever need gloves on to interact with any bird (other than those with actual talons) then you’re moving way too fast and not working WITH the bird.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I would be careful in approaching the owner, people are funny about their pets, she probably feels that she is doing the best she can and will get offended easily. My CAG was given to me, he is now 23, he has been with me for 2 years. It has been a long journey, he is still fearful. He was neglected by first owner that got him as a baby, second owner ignored him, she was working to much hence she gave him to me. He plucks terribly, things went well the first 9 months, Covid hit and I took any job I could which meant working at night. After months of progress he is now plucking again. I have realized CAG's are very emotional birds. I get frustrated sometimes and I freak out when has broken a blood feather. I just remind myself he has not had a decent home in the 21 years of his life. I stick to a routine, healthy food and constantly reassure him all of the time. When I first got him he bit me any time he could. I taught him to scootch over so I can get his water bowl. I bribed him with a treat, can't bite with a mouthful, (beak full) LOL. You need to go slow and be patient. You said the owner is elderly, does she have a plan on where the bird will go when she can no longer take care of him? (even though she isn't doing a good job at it now, at least he is fed. I hope you can find him a hooman that will love and cherish him like he deserves.