• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Needed - Sudden Agression

OliverBG

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Odie
Hi All,

I desperately need help, my Senegal has had a complete personality switch in the pace of 2 days. From being a generally friendly and occasionally moody bird to a violently aggressive one that is possessive and unpredictable. She used to give warning bites, and on bad days a painful nip, now its going for blood repeatedly. This change has happened seemingly over night.

Some facts
She/he is about 3 years old
Has a large cage, toys both destructive and foraging
Fresh veggies and pellets daily - p15 nutribird (the only ones i can find here)
Was trained to do a few tricks and to step up and was easy to handle, was happy to step up or be picked up
I live in a large studio so there is no bird room, but she gets covered with 2 blankets every night

The only 2 environment changes I can think of
1. I went on vacation for a week 2 weeks ago, my friend said there were no problems. he/she was fine for about 5 days after I came back
2. I stopped letting her sit in the bathroom which has a large wall mirror which he/she used to sit in front of all day because he/she would refuse to leave the room.

The current situation is I cannot touch him/her outside the cage at all. Once she bites even shaking my arm will not get him/her to let go. I tried to get him/her to step up onto a stick and she attacked the stick as well, playing with toys seems to be a lot more violent than before as well. Currently any feeding requires an oven glove and a hoodie. I am keeping up interaction through the bars and trying target training, but so far attacking the chopstick I use for target training is more interesting than the treats that used to be the favourite. At this point I do not know how to let her out of the cage safely.

Advice and practical steps would be greatly appreciated.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
I've heard of birds behaving just fine after you return from a trip before suddenly "punishing" you for leaving, similar to what's going on here. I would do your best to hang out with her, relax her when you can tell she's a bit high strung (calm music, speaking to her, etc), and offer to train or let her leave the cage when she's not so heightened. Perhaps you could work on simple clicker training as well, rather than providing a stick/object for her to take her anger out on? I hope these can help a bit.

I'm sorry this is happening, stay strong! You'll get through this :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Many parrots go through phases. Hormones are the ones you'll hear most apart.
Many do have these quick behavior changes that will drive you up the wall, and be hard to understand.
Most of the changes, change again and you're bird will calm down.
Is this a blue & gold macaw? (from your name)

3 is young for hormones, but it could be a start.
I've also seen macaws go through 'teen' rebellion stages.

My advice is back off a bit, and give her some space.
DON'T GET BIT. A successful bite, begets more bites. Keep your body parts out of the beak. ;)
Stop with the gloves and target training.
It's not helping, and gloves teach nothing except they get defensive and learn to bite harder.

Relax, and step back. Just coexist for a time.
Share talking, snacks, music, anything that is liked and doesn't involve touching.
If you must have her step up, try tossing a small towel/blanket over your arm.
Oftentimes this will be accepted without bites. Take her where she needs to go, and set her down.

You have many years ahead of you. Give her space for now while she works out the emotions that are causing this issue. You'll learn to read her signs as time goes by and avoid confrontation.

I know how frustrating it is. There's many threads on here about aggression and changes.
Here's one you may like to read.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I just checked your other threads and think you have a Senegal.
Same goes for her as would a macaw.

OliverBG

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Odie
Thanks for all the advice and support. Once I let her out of the cage to try and rebuild the bond, how do I get her back in without a bite as she has never been a fan of going back in the cage?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Think I'd be working thru the bars for awhile... forcing her back into the cage is only going to breed resentment.
BTW-- Senegals are dimorphic... ie visually different between male and female. [might help w/ future hormonal explanations].
Obviously liked the mirror.
Hmmm-- fireworks too long ago to be a 'scare factor'... any other recent changes? Maybe likes the babysitting friend?
Hang in there...