• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Need quick recommendations for SAFE cage!

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
My Kiwi (Senegal) was sick for the last two weeks. Just found out it's metal toxicity - most likey the cage -because he picks the paint off constantly. Are modern cages safe for a bird like that or not? If A&E powder coated cages are not safe what cage type can I use? I have to find something by Sat when he comes home from his hospital stay. Please help. So difficult to search thru all the cage details... and back to work tomorrow and no time to research! Thanks!

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
If cost is not an issue, King's stainless steel cages are definitely safe. They are pricier though. Sometimes they can be found used and for a lot less on Craigslist. Here's the link for their cages. Hopefully others will come along with more suggestions if cost is a factor. I just knew they were safe.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Powder coating is intended to keep them away from a lesser metal that is not safe usually. So if he is peeling off the paint, you absolutely need something that is not powder coated. Your options really are Stainless Steel or Aluminum in that case. King's has both.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A&E and Caitec also sell stainless steel cages. Check out Wayfair. Many of the cages are renamed even though they are manufactured by well known cage companies. The renamed ones are a bit cheaper.
One example: Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More This is actually a Caitec Featherland cage. Sells for more money under that name.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A&E and Caitec also sell stainless steel cages. Check out Wayfair. Many of the cages are renamed even though they are manufactured by well known cage companies. The renamed ones are a bit cheaper.
One example: Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More This is actually a Caitec Featherland cage. Sells for more money under that name.
I was just going to ask you for this link again! Thanks for posting it, I couldn't remember the site.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
He should not be able to pick the paint off. That sounds like an old or poorly made cage. I would think that a company that did better powder-coating would also be fine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He should not be able to pick the paint off. That sounds like an old or poorly made cage. I would think that a company that did better powder-coating would also be fine.

You'd be surprised...my Hahns could strip it off an Avian Adventures safe and those have some of the nicest powder coating I've encountered!

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
Aluminum cages would also be safe and a bit lighter, though they are just as expensive as the stainless steel for the size. The kings Al travel cages might be a good if he chews during travel too, or Celtei if fabric is ok.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Oh yeah, he can chip paint off brand new cages! I'll take a look at the links. No way I can afford a kings cage unless I could find a used one. We bought a new A&E cage for now. The wayfair one looks promising though!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah, he can chip paint off brand new cages! I'll take a look at the links. No way I can afford a kings cage unless I could find a used one. We bought a new A&E cage for now. The wayfair one looks promising though!
Watch Craigslist you may fall on one, by accident. I haven't had great luck but there doesn't seem to be a ton of parrots in my area. I went almost 2 hours away & onky sort of found a few.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
IamWhoIam, I bought this one! It was on sale. Yay. But how do you know it is from Caitec? And how can you tell if it is real stainless versus some sort of coating? I thought magnets would not stick to stainless and I tested this cage and the magnet does stick... :/
Also, if anyone buys this small cage, it took a month to get here. Not very happy with that but it finally arrived today and Kiwi might be able to come off his meds finally!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
IamWhoIam, I bought this one! It was on sale. Yay. But how do you know it is from Caitec? And how can you tell if it is real stainless versus some sort of coating? I thought magnets would not stick to stainless and I tested this cage and the magnet does stick... :/
Also, if anyone buys this small cage, it took a month to get here. Not very happy with that but it finally arrived today and Kiwi might be able to come off his meds finally!
Caitec/Featherland Ellicott Manor Bird Cage Folding Stainless Steel Ellicott Manor Bird Cage | Caitec Corporation

Sometimes Wayfair can be very slow when it comes to shipping things. I believe I waited 3 mos. for an Avian Adventures Mediana cage. Did the cage come from Wayfair or was it drop shipped from the manufacturer? The AA cages I purchase never come directly from the vendor but are drop shipped from the manufacturer.

What do you think of the cage?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My Senegal stripped the powder coat off a California cage and a king's cage. He is now in stainless steel.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
My Senegal stripped the powder coat off a California cage and a king's cage. He is now in stainless steel.
Elaine, first off, I love your birds names! And second, which stainless did you get? Did Jason get sick from eating the paint chips??

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Caitec/Featherland Ellicott Manor Bird Cage Folding Stainless Steel Ellicott Manor Bird Cage | Caitec Corporation

Sometimes Wayfair can be very slow when it comes to shipping things. I believe I waited 3 mos. for an Avian Adventures Mediana cage. Did the cage come from Wayfair or was it drop shipped from the manufacturer? The AA cages I purchase never come directly from the vendor but are drop shipped from the manufacturer.

What do you think of the cage?
The cage is a little small but if it's safe for him, he will have to deal with the size. I like the fold out and snap together construction as we move a lot and usually have to disassemble a thousand screws or leave cages intact and hang the big, heavy bird cages in the truck so they don't get beat to death from the bad roads.
I dont know who sent it but they told me after a week it was backordered.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Elaine, first off, I love your birds names! And second, which stainless did you get? Did Jason get sick from eating the paint chips??
I got Jason's cage off Craigslist. I haven't a clue what brand it is. I have never been seen another like it.