• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

[HELP] Mynah respiratory infection

Donald Duck

Meeting neighbors
Hello bird owners, I hope all your birds are in well condition.

A week ago my bird was having some breathing difficulties so I took her to a vet, and the vet gave me some medicines and some other natural processes. But he didn't tell me the name of the disease, but I did some research on the internet and the symptoms matches to this infection called Aspergillosis. What I wanna know is that the medicines the vet provided are right or not since the vet in my country aren't that educated.
This is what the vet provided:

Medicine:
Antibiotic: Fimoxyclav(same ingredient as Amoxicillin).
Antihistamine: Alatrol(same ingredient as Cetirizine).

Natural process:
A mixture of honey, 1 cup water, and 3 drops of lemon.
Feed 3 to 4 drops, every 20 minutes interval.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate you help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope your bird feels better soon. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your questions but will tag some people who may.

@enigma731 ? @Hankmacaw ?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lots of things can cause respiratory symptoms so I think it's a really big leap to assume it's aspergillosis. What tests did your vet do?

Donald Duck

Meeting neighbors
Lots of things can cause respiratory symptoms so I think it's a really big leap to assume it's aspergillosis. What tests did your vet do?
Checked the temperature and did X-ray, nothing more than that.

Donald Duck

Meeting neighbors
The vet didn't said it is aspergillosis, but I thought it might be the disease. And the day before she was having breathing difficulty, my uncle blew 3 pufs of cigarette smoke right in front of her face. Can that be a cause?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can't assume it is aspergillosis. If it is then an anti-fungal medication is needed. Culture and blood work would be done to determine if it's asper. With radiographs vet can see if there are any masses or nodules which could be aspergillomas. However for definitive diagnosis, culture and blood work. If your uncle blew smoke into your bird's face that would most probably cause issues. Birds have a very sensitive respiratory system. Did you share that information with the vet and why would your uncle do that?

Donald Duck

Meeting neighbors
Can't assume it is aspergillosis. If it is then an anti-fungal medication is needed. Culture and blood work would be done to determine if it's asper. With radiographs vet can see if there are any masses or nodules which could be aspergillomas. However for definitive diagnosis, culture and blood work. If your uncle blew smoke into your bird's face that would most probably cause issues. Birds have a very sensitive respiratory system. Did you share that information with the vet and why would your uncle do that?
Well, yeah I told the vet about the smoke, and the vet said "it might be the cause" but he is not sure. And my bird is getting better I think the medication works. And my uncle did it for no reason, but he really regrets now, he is really sad and he actually wants to stop smoking. Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate your time and help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that your bird is getting better. Could just be a bacterial infection so the antibiotics are helping or could be the smoke and his respiratory system is now cleared from that.

Donald Duck

Meeting neighbors
It's good that your bird is getting better. Could just be a bacterial infection so the antibiotics are helping or could be the smoke and his respiratory system is now cleared from that.
Yes she is getting better, but she is not speaking, she is not making any sound. Will the voice recover? Thank you, your help really means a lot to me.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can't answer you about the voice. Maybe she will start talking more when she starts to feel even better. Birds generally stop doing some of their normal activities when they are not well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, keep us posted on how she is doing. :)

Donald Duck

Meeting neighbors
Hello. My bird is eating a lot then usual. Since my bird got sick the vet said to cancel the pellets from her diet because it's artificial so it can cause various diseases. So I changed her diet to organic foods and now she has a really large improvement in appetite. It's good right? Thanks a lot.
I know it's not necessary to ask but still. I really appreciate the time you spend on helping @sunnysmom