• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help! my new hand fed cockatiel

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
hi guys! i just got a new hand fed whiteface cockatiel and his wings are clipped (so he won't hurt himself). we listened to the breeder and brought him to a bathroom and bonded with him and then introduced him to his cage. for the past couple of days it's been amazing; but now he's always sitting on top of my bed rods and on top of his cage (the cage opens at the top and has a perch there, i also keep the cage doors open obviously) but he used to step up so easily and cuddle with me but now every time he steps up he flies back to my bed rods or his perch. i don't know what happened in these couple of days. he used to fly to me and cuddle me but now he is distant.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
I think he is comfortable now,so he's LOVING being able to enjoy his big boy independence! He will for sure get lonely for touch & will be your companion again. The mirror is a friend, so for now dont put one in the cage, so he will look to you for friendship. He will have so many phases as he matures, but you'll always be his flockmate/mom

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
that makes sense, i heard from my breeder to not put a mirror in his cage so i haven't, thank you!

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
Now that mine is a few years old, I for sure have a couple of mirrors in his cage they keep him company ,but at first it is good to have him learn that you are his buddy ️:) he is a cutie patootie!

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
They can also get really scared of something you might be wearing that's different like a red tie in your hair or an unusual color shirt like bright red mine does not like a towel in my hair

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
They can also get really scared of something you might be wearing that's different like a red tie in your hair or an unusual color shirt like bright red mine does not like a towel in my hair
yes he absolutely hates my glasses so i'm always blind when i'm holding him

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
yes he absolutely hates my glasses so i'm always blind when i'm holding him
:lol:
That´s funny and very considerate of you, but it would be a good idea to condition the bird to having the glasses around.
Just wear them and he will get used to them. Keep your distance at first, offer treats with a fully stretched arm so the glasses don´t get so close.
Strange he would not like them now if you always wore them. 5 of my birds have only seen me with glasses. One remembers when I didn´t wear them all the time, lucky I didn´t have any trouble with him getting spooked by them he ust thought he hit the jackpot with a new cool climbing frame ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think your bird is just exhibiting some independence. Which is a good think. You don't want a clingy bird. Maybe he would like a play stand that he can play on and be near you?

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
:lol:
That´s funny and very considerate of you, but it would be a good idea to condition the bird to having the glasses around.
Just wear them and he will get used to them. Keep your distance at first, offer treats with a fully stretched arm so the glasses don´t get so close.
Strange he would not like them now if you always wore them. 5 of my birds have only seen me with glasses. One remembers when I didn´t wear them all the time, lucky I didn´t have any trouble with him getting spooked by them he ust thought he hit the jackpot with a new cool climbing frame ;)
yes i have tried conditioning him and it's getting a little better but my glasses are thick and he bites really hard on them and i don't want him to hurt himself either

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
i
I think your bird is just exhibiting some independence. Which is a good think. You don't want a clingy bird. Maybe he would like a play stand that he can play on and be near you?
i have 2 little areas near me for him to chill on but my bed is like a cube shape made of metal rods so it is a heaven for him i guess. i used to have a lutino cockatiel and he was always with me and i know i shouldn't compare because all birds are very different it's just a little alien to me

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
i

i have 2 little areas near me for him to chill on but my bed is like a cube shape made of metal rods so it is a heaven for him i guess. i used to have a lutino cockatiel and he was always with me and i know i shouldn't compare because all birds are very different it's just a little alien to me
It hasn't been that long. Give him time. :)