• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help - My new bugie laid 10 eggs

Kat Trip

Moving in
Our family purchased two budgies. We thought they were to young to breed, we were wrong. I think they are anywhere from 9 to 12 months old. Our female Emi laid two eggs but ate one. I looked up why she ate it and immediately supplied her with crushed egg shells, minched boiled egg, a calcium/mineral block, Harrisons pellets, seed, millet, cuttle bone and a nesting box. Luna the male has been quite attentive and she has now laid a total of 10 eggs and it looks like they just mated again. I am worried about her as this seems like a huge clutch much less for a first go around. They are both sitting on the eggs. Not sure if there is anything I can do to stop the mating cycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you sure they are not both females? 10 is a lot for a budgie...

Can you list their full diet.
Hours of sleep.
Add a pic of their set up.
Add clear pics front on of both birds in good natural lighting.

@Ripshod

Kat Trip

Moving in
Can't get pics right now as its night and they are in the nesting box. I am not completely sure because I believe Luna is the male and is very pale whitish blue, emi who I believe is the female is emerald green and they are young. I purchased them three months ago from a pet store, no age was given and neither fits the profile for male or female on the cere yet. The diet is millet, Vita Prima Parakeet Food, Harrisons High Potency Super Fine pellets, minced egg, ground egg shells, strawberry mineral/calcium block, cuttle bone and some hanging seed and honey nibbles. Cage is 39" tall by 27" with a large deep nesting box. They go in at sunset which is now about 6:30 p.m. and usually come out at about 8 to 9 am for food and them back into the nesting box. Neither is spending much time out but Luna (supposed male) will stay out longer. Emi comes out, poops, drinks, nibbles for a minute or so and them back to the eggs and stays for long period of time. They are both laying next to each other in the box sometimes and they are both sleeping in the box. I haven't candled them as when I tried Emi got pretty nasty with me so I have let her be. The pet store didn't tell us anything about them. I am wondering if Luna is "if I remember right" A clear black eyed budgie, omg I am sure I got that wrong. I have been reading and reading and reading trying to learn as much as I can on the fly. I wasn't expecting this at all. Thanks for your reply :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Feather colour or mutations is not really going to tell anyone much of anything important- wait till morning and get some good clear shots of their faces :) I am honestly hoping you have two females at this stage. Pictures will get you a fairly accurate if not definite answer on their sexes.

What is the reason you have a nest box in the cage? Was that at the suggestion of the pet store or were you actively trying to breed? Is the nest box inside the cage you mention the birds are in or is it fixed on the outside?

How long have the eggs been in there? Like, when was the first and the last egg laid?

I am guessing you were not meaning to breed and possibly have not prepared the birds for it physically so I personally would piff the eggs (regardless of fertility status- sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind, raising chicks is not easy for birds or people and even less so for first time parents with an inexperienced care giver- no offense meant) and remove the nesting box, they do not need it and it will be adding to their want/drive to breed which is not a good idea as far as I am concerned for a few reasons, the main one - you got them from the same store... they are most likely related!

@Ripshod will hopefully be online soon to offer their experienced help and be able to guide you step by step with what to do next.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Once they're both out of the nesting box get rid of it, eggs and all. And make sure there's nothing else in the cage that can be seen as a nest. If they are a m-f pair they're too young to breed. 10 is a lot of eggs for one female, but not impossible. But as @Shezbug I also suspect you may have a pair of females - we'll need facial photos to confirm this though.
They're eating fortified pellets (with calcium) so there's no need for the mineral block unless a vet recommends one. The Cuttlefish bone can stay as it's a great grooming aid. Stop the egg as they don't need that either.
Once the gender question is settled we can advise further.

Subscribed ;)

Kat Trip

Moving in
Sorry for the late response, I had an appointment 80 miles away and just returned home to find an 11th egg having been laid. I will try and get pictures tomorrow with my camera as I am on a lap top. Thank you for all the advice. I am exhausted and must get to bed. I will check back in tomorrow. My sister is a vet but not for our feathered friends, large 4 legged types. Oh and the nesting box is mounted to the outside of the cage.

Kat Trip

Moving in
Sorry so tired, the first egg was laid on February 28th. I read that they are supposed to lay one every other day but "who ever" is laying almost everyday at this point. The nesting box was something I bought with the thought they needed a place to sleep, now I realize that my good intentions were not a good idea. I don't mind breeding or helping with babies as I have worked with a lot of animals over the years. I am trying to do whats right here. I purchased them at PETCO and was not given an age so honestly I have no idea how old they are. Hopefully I can get some good pics tomorrow.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Get some hard earned rest and we will all be here (at varying times depending on where we live in the world) tomorrow when you are caught up on sleep. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the first egg was laid on February 28th
11 eggs in 13 days means you have two birds laying. So if there are just the two budgies in the cage, they are both female :storkg: :storkg: