• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP- My male BG bonded to Male Scarlett

Cabo15

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ellen
1BDFF037-3E4F-4794-93B0-DE0A9B193ED6.jpeg F2DAA729-97D2-4745-9E18-2B459E996AB9.jpeg

I have a 2 1/2 yr old male B&G and a 2 yr old male Scarlett. Up until a couple weeks ago they’ve both always been bonded to me. The B&G recently became aggressive towards me anytime I go near the Scarlett. I took him to the vet a couple days ago and was told that he’s matured and is now sexually bonded to the Scarlett. I’ve since had to separate them (they were both living in a large screened in patio room). The B&G is now stuck inside in a cage. I feel awful having to keep them separated and not being able to have them both out at the same time without the B&G becoming aggressive. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any advice would help. Thanks!!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Unfortunately that it how nature works. Your scarlet will possibly do the same within some time as well. My BG was my baby, my scarlet was my husband's baby. Right about the time they turned 3 they both switched. It would be best to try and manage it instead of caging and making the behaviors stronger. It's new to them and often dramatic in the beginning. Once a routine is established they will settle and you learn how to work around a pair.

This is very common with macaws.
Baby to adult. Will they still love me? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Cabo15

Real Name
Ellen
Thank you macanutz for your response and link! How were you able to manage it if you don’t mind me asking?

Cabo15

Real Name
Ellen
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

The picture of them both outside without harnesses scares the crap out of me. Very dangerous thing to do. Clipped or not.
JLcibber thank you for the link you shared!

I appreciate the concern and respect your opinion about them not being on harnesses, however they are used to being outside everyday. We free fly the Scarlet (he was well trained), so we take him out everyday. The BG is handicapped and cannot fly, however he enjoys being outside just as much as the Scarlet.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you macanutz for your response and link! How were you able to manage it if you don’t mind me asking?

Every situation is different but what I have learned with two pairs is it is best to respect the aggression. It's natural and what they are programed to do. It would be the same as you or I defending a spouse. I do a lot of talking when moving pairs. I keep a calm voice and don't make threatening eye contact. I tell them what I am doing and stay out of bite range allowing them to be big and bad. Since your sweetie is so young this could be a phase of hormones as it is that time of year... if you don't damage your relationship by in his mind, showing favoritism and allowing only the scarlet out, this may go away in a few months.

I know you can do it. My BG is VERY flighted and does dive bomb attacks at me if I look at my husband. :rofl: Gosh I still adore him ( my BG ;) ) We have learned to co exist and make it work. Oddly enough he still has days where he prefers me, I think as he ages and settles in life he will be a very good boy to either of us... Of course I'm okay with him hating my guts if it makes him happy. :D