• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP!!!! My Grey's feathers are causing him pain?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One thing I might suggest, you do for this grey, is pad up the bottom of his cage well.Just in case he hits bottom hard against the grate. Have you thought about not clipping him again? :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
One of our members here had a grey with one or two feathers like that. He broke one when coming out of the cage. The grey then associated the pain and injury with the owner! So it became petrified of the owner. It took months and months before the grey began to trust again.
Give your grey lots of TLC :heart: so he doesn't get hurt.

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Thank-you for all the replies and help :). I have actually thinking for a while to let Quinn's feathers grow back in. The last time i trimmed his nails i noticed most of his feathers going like this but the blood feathers just recently as i noticed he was flinching his right wing and i thought maybe one of them was jabbing him in the side so that's why i decided to have a good look the other night :(. I'm really upset they are such a mess. I'm still not sure if he is barbering them or like someone else suggested stress bars?????

I have decided i'm going to let his feathers grow back and see how he does :dance4: . I know my Pionus will never be a good flyer because she was trimmed way too short when i picked her up from the breeder :(. Now, i need some advice on what causes those stress bars and barbering ???? He as well as my other birds are on pellets, fresh fruit and veggies etc. How does everyone else here do the out of cage time with a few birds when flighted???? My fear is yes him flying out my door, i also have 2 dogs but they are excellent with the birds but i would never fully trust them ALL being unsupervised !!! Why i have seriously been contemplating letting Quinns wings grow back is he constantly climbs down his cage to come to me and i don't like my birdies on the floor where they could so easily get stepped on. Will all his feathers grow back in with this molt????

:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.