• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help - My Grey is suddenly very scared of us!

wutsnxt

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda
I've had my grey, Scooter, for 10 years and he's always been very attached to me. In the last couple of months he began being very scared of my husband (always hands him treats). Now if he even walks by Scooter he would screech in fear. Now he is acting the same way with me. If I walk past his cage he screams in fear. His cage is always open and he has always spent his days climbing around it but now he won't come out unless he's scared out of it. Then he will step up on my hand but screams and flutters away as soon as I take a step with him. I don't know what has happened, nothing has changed. Could it be a deficiency of some kind? It seems like it happened overnight with my husband and then with me.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you moved furniture or anything, added anything different/new? Our CAG is terrified of cardboard boxes & freaks when she sees one. It could be something simple that has him scared.

wutsnxt

Real Name
Amanda
No, nothing has moved, it's really weird. He doesn't screech if my daughter goes to the cage but if we do, or even look at him as we walk by, he screeches. And I've always been his person, not anymore though

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I’m sorry you are having troubles. Obviously something has spooked him and he has generalized the trigger. Be patient with him and start your training as if he was a new bird. I suspect he will eventually realize that it was not you and come around. Some others may have specific ideas to help. I had a friend whose bird did something like that. Figured out he didn’t like the color red and my friend had a red bathrobe, once we figured it out he was back to his old self pretty quickly.

wutsnxt

Real Name
Amanda
I’m sorry you are having troubles. Obviously something has spooked him and he has generalized the trigger. Be patient with him and start your training as if he was a new bird. I suspect he will eventually realize that it was not you and come around. Some others may have specific ideas to help. I had a friend whose bird did something like that. Figured out he didn’t like the color red and my friend had a red bathrobe, once we figured it out he was back to his old self pretty quickly.
Thank you!!! I was hoping someone would recognize this issue.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Glad to hear, I'm not the only one. I have had a CAG for almost 3 years. It's like 1 step forward, 2 back. He does great, feathers growing in, friendly, and just now he slammed the top of my head with his beak when I cleaned his cage. We stopped that habit a year ago. Our routine is the same. Honestly, he drives me crazy sometimes but I luvs him soo much.