• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP! My Green Cheek Conure swallowed my gf nose stud!

Natedogg97

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nathan
My 8month old conure swallowed my gf nose ring. We took him out of his cage to play and while hanging out on her chest he snatched her nose stud out.
It’s a 7 millimeter’s tiny nose stud stainless steel. We plan on taking it to the vet in the morning but we are very concerned. We were on the bed no blankets so we would’ve seen it if he threw it or dropped it and I took him and put him back in his cage immediately. Check everywhere so we are 100% sure he swallowed it. Similar to the picture I attached just not coated with yellow.

Attachments

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I hope your little one will be okay. Try not to panic, that nose stud could really be anywhere on the floor. Unless you actually saw it being swallowed.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Most of the time birds will snatch at new interesting things to play with, not swallow. They are usually very good at knowing the difference between food and toys. True stainless steel might not be toxic, so try to relax, hopefully your bird will be ok. In the meantime, try looking further away from the bed, in the bed frame etc. on top of any clothes drawers.. that nose stud could have been flung high in the air.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Feed a heap of peanut butter (xylitol free) almond butter or mashed pumpkin and check each poop by squishing it. Sometimes the foods I mentioned can help grab onto the foreign body and pass it through the birds system.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Feed a heap of peanut butter (xylitol free) almond butter or mashed pumpkin and check each poop by squishing it. Sometimes the foods I mentioned can help grab onto the foreign body and pass it through the birds system.
I was just going to post that. I agree that's probably the best thing you can do in the meantime before the vet besides monitoring poops and behavior.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I’m going to bet your bird didn’t swallow the stud. 7 mm is actually a pretty good size for a small bird to swallow whole. I’ve had an earring removed by a Green cheek and she held it in her beak. I was so sure she ate it and then she finally dropped it. If you go the route of vacuuming you can cover the end of a vacuum hose with panty hose to keep from sucking a small item down. Keep looking and hold a positive thought but glad to know you will go to the vet for a a thorough check. They are the reason I don’t wear jewelry anymore.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I hope, as other members suggested, he didn't swallow it. Better safe than sorry though, so hopefully, if he did, the vet can monitor him, and do what's necessary to get it out.
:)