• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help , my female cockatiel has been losing neck feathers !

Lexigwt

Moving in
Real Name
Lexi
Hello Readers,

My female cockatiel , Piper, lives with her mate, Lupin, in a cage together . When I was picking up Piper to put her back into her cage, I noticed that she had some feathers missing from her neck . I know Lupin sometimes grooms Piper , is he plucking her feathers or is it some type of disease?? Here is a picture below.

306214D6-8E9F-403F-A2D9-85D35711171D.jpeg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That is quite a loss of feathers. You should spend a good bit of time observing them from across the room and see if he is indeed plucking her. If he isn't then I would suspect something else going on health wise. How long have you had them and where did you get them from?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would take her to the vet to rule out any physical problems

Lexigwt

Moving in
Real Name
Lexi
[QUOTE="Mockinbirdiva, post: 3211182, member: 530"

Hello, thank you for responding! I got the pair from our local pet store about 2 years ago. I just noticed her neck feathers missing a few weeks ago . I’m quite confused because I’ve never seen this before in her . Yes he is indeed preening her every night. Do you think this is a health issue ? If so , what could it be ?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
[QUOTE="Mockinbirdiva, post: 3211182, member: 530"

Hello, thank you for responding! I got the pair from our local pet store about 2 years ago. I just noticed her neck feathers missing a few weeks ago . I’m quite confused because I’ve never seen this before in her . Yes he is indeed preening her every night. Do you think this is a health issue ? If so , what could it be ?
If you don't see your male actually pulling feathers off her ( mutual preening is normal) as in plucking her feathers out then I would think she does have a health issue. We can't guess what the problem could be, you'll need to take her to an avian vet and give them the full details of her appearance when you bought her, when you noticed all the feathers missing, how your pair are together and whether or not the other tiel pulls feathers out. The more information you can provide a vet ( including the exact diet), they will likely want to do a blood panel, check for bacteria present, giardia test.

@Monica @enigma731

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have they been mating?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It does look like over-preening to me but a vet can confirm that.