• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! my cockatiel is having muted chirps

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Im a fairly new bird owner and I have a cockatiel about 6mth old. Recently (1wk ago), I went out and came back in the evening, there were a few specks of blood at the bottom of her cage, it had come from her wing. It was clotted so I thought it was alright (vets near my area are really expensive). But recently, her chirps when she is really happy in the evenings, sound muted and not that loud, she is still trying to. But her screams when I go out of the room and others sound alright, please help I'm worried, I'll bring her to the vet if it's really dire. She eats well, preens and plays well.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Bump

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
A change in vocal behavior could possibly be a sign of illness, unrelated to the broken feather. If she has never had a check up it would be a good idea regardless, but you could keep an eye on her for a few days to see if there is any change. What do you mean she’s trying? How much quieter are we talking? If it’s dramatic I would probably go to the vet.

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
A change in vocal behavior could possibly be a sign of illness, unrelated to the broken feather. If she has never had a check up it would be a good idea regardless, but you could keep an eye on her for a few days to see if there is any change. What do you mean she’s trying? How much quieter are we talking? If it’s dramatic I would probably go to the vet.
By trying, I mean that she still chirping but it's really soft and murmured, thanks for your help, is there any possible reasons she could be doing this?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do her droppings look normal? Is she sleepier than usual or less active? Birds make different sounds at times. Can she not chirp normally at all?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are you sure you have a girl? Does it sound like makes do when they are learning to talk? Maybe you can post a video? Did you mean she chirps like this just at night, but during the rest of the day it’s normal?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
1 week is not long. You might just be hearing another type of chirp. Maybe a more relaxed one. They will need time to adjust to a new home.'

Monitor closely that they eat & monitor poop & watch for any signs of illness like sleeping alot or hanging out on bottom sleeping in day.

They should be alert.

She might have had a night fright & injured her wing. Keep an eye on her. Keep a night light on. Play soft music in the day etc.

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Thank you, I'll bring her for a checkup. I think it's a good sign that she has started chirping again just last evening, really confused about the few days?? :)

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
1 week is not long. You might just be hearing another type of chirp. Maybe a more relaxed one. They will need time to adjust to a new home.'

Monitor closely that they eat & monitor poop & watch for any signs of illness like sleeping alot or hanging out on bottom sleeping in day.

They should be alert.

She might have had a night fright & injured her wing. Keep an eye on her. Keep a night light on. Play soft music in the day etc.
I think I phrased my post wrongly, I have had her since she was about 3-4 weeks old. Nevertheless, thanks for your help

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Are you sure you have a girl? Does it sound like makes do when they are learning to talk? Maybe you can post a video? Did you mean she chirps like this just at night, but during the rest of the day it’s normal?
I will try my best because this only happens for a few minutes in the evening (not night). Let me try to describe it for you, it is varied in tone, she seems really excited and happy sounding

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think I phrased my post wrongly, I have had her since she was about 3-4 weeks old. Nevertheless, thanks for your help
Saw recently 1 week ago & thought that was the time you got her.
I see she is about 6 mo old & you got her at 3 or 4 weeks. Then you must have handfed her for a few weeks & she should know you very well. Sorry for the misjudgment.

You do need to watch for sudden new behaviors as they could be a sign of a potential illness.

If she is eating well, active, pooping ok & otherwise acting normal than a new sound might just be that. As long as she does not seem stressed in the throat or breathing hard then it might be ok. Keep monitoring her. Maybe its her ready for bed sound? Keep a close eye on her. You get a well bird visit know her best & its concerning you so monitor it & if need be get a well bird visit. If she can make loud sounds & is acting normal & not having trouble breathing etc it might just be a content sound.

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Saw recently 1 week ago & thought that was the time you got her.
I see she is about 6 mo old & you got her at 3 or 4 weeks. Then you must have handfed her for a few weeks & she should know you very well. Sorry for the misjudgment.

You do need to watch for sudden new behaviors as they could be a sign of a potential illness.

If she is eating well, active, pooping ok & otherwise acting normal than a new sound might just be that. As long as she does not seem stressed in the throat or breathing hard then it might be ok. Keep monitoring her. Maybe its her ready for bed sound? Keep a close eye on her. You get a well bird visit know her best & its concerning you so monitor it & if need be get a well bird visit. If she can make loud sounds & is acting normal & not having trouble breathing etc it might just be a content sound.
Thanks she is active, pooping fine, breathing etc fine, maybe it is a new sound?

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
My girl Moki started making quiet chirpy sounds around 6 months as well, she grew out of her baby noises and then would make chirpy sounds when happy or bored lol. I think she is OK, but always a good idea to have a vet visit to at least establish a baseline, get her weight, get to know the doctor etc etc. See if the vet will let you do a payment plan if you don't have it all up front!
The longer I have Moki (I've had her 8 months now), the more I learn about what her noises mean, I think I can speak cockatiel now. :lol:
What I've been dealing with now is hormones.. THAT'S FUN. haha

Side note~I put $20 a pay into a special savings account just for Moki, it doesn't sound like a lot but it adds up and helps when the inevitable vet bill pops up. I looked at my spending, and saw I was spending ridiculous amounts on energy drinks ($2.50 a can about 5 days a week), so instead of doing that, I decided those are bad for me, and that could go towards Moki's savings. We both win!

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
My girl Moki started making quiet chirpy sounds around 6 months as well, she grew out of her baby noises and then would make chirpy sounds when happy or bored lol. I think she is OK, but always a good idea to have a vet visit to at least establish a baseline, get her weight, get to know the doctor etc etc. See if the vet will let you do a payment plan if you don't have it all up front!
The longer I have Moki (I've had her 8 months now), the more I learn about what her noises mean, I think I can speak cockatiel now. :lol:
What I've been dealing with now is hormones.. THAT'S FUN. haha

Side note~I put $20 a pay into a special savings account just for Moki, it doesn't sound like a lot but it adds up and helps when the inevitable vet bill pops up. I looked at my spending, and saw I was spending ridiculous amounts on energy drinks ($2.50 a can about 5 days a week), so instead of doing that, I decided those are bad for me, and that could go towards Moki's savings. We both win!
Thanks alot

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
just noticed her quiet chirps again, she seems to lean forward and wings slightly away from her body while doing this, it's sounds coarse and like as if she has a sore throat. She does this apart from her happy chirps, it's a different sound. Not sure why she does this, i.e. lean forward, wings away from her body, @Tiel Feathers @camelotshadow any suggestions?

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
just noticed her quiet chirps again, she seems to lean forward and wings slightly away from her body while doing this, it's sounds coarse and like as if she has a sore throat. She does this apart from her happy chirps, it's a different sound. Not sure why she does this, i.e. lean forward, wings away from her body, @Tiel Feathers @camelotshadow any suggestions?
Her other sounds are normal she breaths fine, so I don't think it's a respiratory problem

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Any chance you can attach a video of her doing the chirp and leaning forward thing?