• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help my budgie seems sick

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
Hi I have luntino male budgie who has been sneezing from the past two weeks, recently his tail started bobbing (I realized that from yesterday) but he is still active (flying,normal poop, no discharge...etc) but I am unable to take him to a vet since the area I live in there isn’t any avian vets and the normal vets are probably closed due to he pandemic. Please respond with what you think I could do to help him...

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
There's not much we can do, since we are not vets. Even a vet would most likely not be able to diagnose anything just by the symptoms. Do you or anybody you know know how to drive? Maybe just take a bit of a long ride and check for any vets? Also if you could just tell us the general area you're in, we may help you find one :). If we can not find any vets then, from what I've heard, some vets offer to take online consultations....

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
I will try to ask my parents if we can take him to the vet later...I will update you later to see what we can do.
Ty

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many vets have remained open and are doing kerbside drop-offs. You hand the patient over at the door, the vet will examine them, then the vet will either phone you or come outside to discuss the case and treatment plan.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Taking a bird to a vet for either wellness checks, injuries or sickness is part of their care. Its best to have a discussion with your parents about this before getting a bird. Was this something you talked about? Keep your bird warm and comfortable until a vet checks him or her out.

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
I will try to take him by tomorrow or later, but I think my parents will probably refuse since vets are quite expensive in the area I live in but I will try to take him....
Thank you

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
My dad refused to take my budgie to the vet...is there Anything I could possibly do?
I think his tail only move up and down when he sleeps because his tail isn’t moving as much as it was earlier today but he still continues to sneeze

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What i want to say will not help. I get upset when parents dont understand the importance of vet care for budgies, especially sick ones. I am sorry you have to deal with this.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My dad refused to take my budgie to the vet...is there Anything I could possibly do?
I think his tail only move up and down when he sleeps because his tail isn’t moving as much as it was earlier today but he still continues to sneeze
Could you ask your dad to come on here and read some of our forum posts?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Vets are expensive everywhere ;)

How old is your bird? What kind of diet is he on?

What kind of sneezes are they? Wet? Dry? Can you take him into the bathroom and run a hot shower to give him some steam therapy? Or run a humidifier in the room with him?

That may or may not help depending on what is ailing him. For some illnesses, it may honestly make it worse :( It's really hard to know from here - even a vet would have a hard time saying what it is without running tests. Birds are prey animals so hide their illnesses as well as they can to avoid being rejected by the Flock as well as to prevent being targeted by predators. So once they start looking and acting sick, they can be REALLY sick. Combine that with the fact that many illnesses manifest with similar symptoms and it's like a shot in the dark on how to treat, and guessing wrong can not only waste valuable time, but also do more harm than good.

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
I feed my birds chopped fruits and veggies daily and hang some apples or lettuce for them to eat..I am soon going to add sprouted seeds to there diet .but at the moment they get;
-a small bowl of seeds (daily)
-a bowl of chopped veggies and fruits (daily)
-sometimes I hang some lettuce or apples (a couple of times a week)
-twice a week they eat boiled eggs
(They hardly ever finish the chopped fruits and veggies I give them but they always finish the boiled eggs)

Idk what a dry or wet sneeze is .-.
But I will try to spray him from above that might do...or I will continue to put a bowl of water with some lettuce
I haven’t tamed him yet so it will be difficult to do him a steam therapy

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When he sneezes, is there snot or moisture that comes out? That's what I mean.

Take the whole cage into the bathroom. He doesn't need to get wet. It's a quick and cheap way to give him an influx of humidity. Steam can help clear the nasal passages. Spraying him with a bottle isn't going to do anything.

My Quaker would have dry sneezes because the air was too dry. No sickness to cure, he just needed a humidifier.

On the other hand, my Jardine's had respiratory issues due to vitamin A deficiency. Does he eat orange veggies likes pumpkin, sweet potatoes or squash, or fruits like papaya or mango? Birds have high Vitamin A needs, so if he isn't getting enough in his diet, it can make him sick.

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
Oh then I believe he has a dry sneeze...I will try to provide him with more orange veggies. But how long is he supposed to have the steam therapy for?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would probably do 10 mins.

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
Okie but I have another question (sorry if this is annoying) I keep my budgies in one big cage am I supposed to take him by himself in to a smaller cage to do the steam therapy and if in a smaller cage any tips on how to get him in to going in the smaller cage?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They can all go for the steam therapy if you aren't able to get him into a smaller cage. Seeing as how you have multiple birds sick in your home it might be best to do that anyways.

I also have to stress that this is essentially supportive care. If your birds are truly sick then this is just going to provide relief, not a cure. In the unfortunate chance that this is a fungal infection, the extra moisture may make symptoms worse.

Last edited:

Somehooman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nothankyou
He doesn’t seem very ill he is still active his poop is looking normal he isn’t puffed up and eating and drinking is normal..so I will try the steam therapy later and see how it goes.
Ty for the advice