• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Help! My budgie can't walk or stand

Rabiaq

Moving in
Hi everyone, today we noticed our budgie kept.falling off his perch. He's 4 months old. He fell then we wasn't able to walk or stand, we took him to the er animal hospital, but they didn't have an aviary vet there to help, so basically they just gave antibiotics and sent us home. We do have an appointment with out vet on Tuesday. But Poor bird is laying there and can't move. We have no idea what happened. Can anyone provide insight? And how to keep him in his cage to sleep, he keeps falling on his face. I wrapped him in a little towel and put him in a small.box inside his cage, is that safe ? Please help!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is there any way you can contact your own vet and explain what is happening? This really is an urgent situation, they'll likely get you in earlier.

Rabiaq

Moving in
Is there any way you can contact your own vet and explain what is happening? This really is an urgent situation, they'll likely get you in earlier.
Yes, I'm going to call them as soon as they open today. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before? I have been up every hour, tonight checking on him. It's just so sad. I pray he's ok, my kids are so upset.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
While waiting for the vet to open review what you have used in your home - teflon pans, candles, perfume, air fresheners, anything that may have given off fumes that may have harmed him. Birds are very sensitive to fumes in the air.

Rabiaq

Moving in
While waiting for the vet to open review what you have used in your home - teflon pans, candles, perfume, air fresheners, anything that may have given off fumes that may have harmed him. Birds are very sensitive to fumes in the air.
I can't think of anything, can the smell of laundry effect them? They aren't close to it but it's on the same floor.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not being able to perch can also be caused by metal toxicity. Can this bird get to metals in or out of the cage that are not safe such as zinc?

In the meantime Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Definitely try to get him in as soon as you can, are there any emergency avian vets near you? Supportive care is vital in giving them a chance to bounce back, especially for such small birds.
If he’s not drinking, try to get some unflavored pedialyte in his system.

My conure displayed the same symptoms, and it was diagnosed as a seizure with no direct cause even after diagnostics.

For my Yuka, I sadly lost her that next weekend. But I know for many other birds that support is life saving. I hope your boy feels better soon, keep us updated. :hug8:

Rabiaq

Moving in
Not being able to perch can also be caused by metal toxicity. Can this bird get to metals in or out of the cage that are not safe such as zinc?

In the meantime Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet.
Thank you so much, he only has access to his cage, only comes out and sits on top of his cage. So I don't think metal, our

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you take him back to the store will they get him vet help or what will happen to him then? It sounds to me like the store knows they’re selling unwell birds.... what exactly is a balance deficiency? The bird they sold you is sick- not balance challenged.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Simple answer they only care about the money ☹ Not the bird. I would not get another bird from that store! They know the bird have a problem and do nothing about it.
I am so sorry this happened. I would be afraid of getting another bird there. If they knew the bird had a problem wonder
why they sold it to you?