• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP my blue and gold macaw has red puffy itchy eye

ceresbly

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kimberly
hello, the past few nights i have heard my macaw sneezing in the middle of the night. (she sleeps in the same room as me) and i didn't think much of it because during the day she doesn't at all... but tonight she clearly has an irritated eye and is keeping it closed and itching it. I am extremely worried.
I am a smoker, but of course i do it outside, and no where near her. Though sometimes i do forget to wash my hands and earlier tonight i was kissing and cuddling with her and maybe there was lingering tobacco on my lips and that is why this reaction is happening?
it is almost christmas so i am terribly worried that it will progress and i will have a difficult time getting her into a vet so if anyone has any ideas for me, can i spray water on her or what is a good method? Obviously I need to be washing my hands and face before i handle her, i realize that. I am very mad at myself for not thinking, but please any tips out there from macaw owners?

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
If you're worried about it being difficult to get her to a vet later, call a vet tomorrow morning and schedule an appointment for the earliest time.
The sooner she gets that eye checked out, the better.

Otherwise, i'd be careful spraying anything on her eye since you're not sure what caused it.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, call the vet and get the soonest appointment you can. Waiting through the holiday is too long of wait. It's sounds like your baby has a sinus infection.

While absolutely wash your hands before touching your macaw I doubt very much you were the cause, take that weight off your shoulders.

Do you have a vet or need help finding one?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have any other birds or animals in your home?

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I remember years ago, I was going with a smoker and you could taste the tobacco when we kissed. It lingers, it is there, on the breath. You can smell it besides tasting it and never again would I go with someone who smokes. Nasty stuff. With your baby having something going on, any remnants of your smoking would be an additional irritant for your baby.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Get your bird in.for a full check including blood chem panel, liver function and if slightest worry, xrays. I am posting this because I'm guessing someone has read my posts about smoking residue and tagged me. I am copying and pasting exactly what I send to an.adopter who smokes ..

I am.sure this will offend and outrage many, but, its reality.

Thank you for your application, there is one significant problem... We cannot place a bird in a home where there is a smoker. I'm sure you smoke outside away from your family and animals, but what medical and science fields are terming 3rd hand smoke (smokeresidue) is exceptionally dangerous to any bird.

Consider that even outside when you smoke, the smoke and such settles on your clothes and hair, then when you sit with your parrot, he will preen and pick at whatever you are wearing, your hair and such. When you work and go outside for a cigarette, when you walk back into the office, everyone can smell you just smoked a cigarette, with your avian knowledge, try to consider it in those terms and that level of exposure.

If you are considering giving up smoking, if you are successful and can get your home well cleaned out, we would love to work with you, but the smoking unfortunately for our shelter is not a negotiable problem. The residue you bring into your home settles into fabric and furniture and off gases even years later, there is quite a bit of reading on the internet and I am sure even in medical journals.

Here is only a few links I quickly found for your reading to hopefully help you with our policy and even the exposure and risks to yourself, other animals and family.

Third-hand smoke a danger to babies, toddlers - Health - Addictions | NBC News

AAP Richmond Center - Dangers from Thirdhand Smoke

'Third-hand smoke' - chemical residue that clings to clothes, surfaces - is harmful, too: study - NY Daily News

Jennifer
AHW Adoption Coordinator

Last edited:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Hi Jen - I just wanted to add to this. I have a love seat that I got from my former boss 11 years ago. Every night when I sit on that couch I smell cigarette smoke. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out where the smell was coming from but I finally figured it out. No one has smoked in our house - EVER - and I just found it weird that the smell is still there.

GCChris

Walking the driveway
I understand the need for such a policy, but wouldn't that just drive potential adopters to the nearest pet store instead?

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I understand the need for such a policy, but wouldn't that just drive potential adopters to the nearest pet store instead?

One would hope that providing factual information would make one stop and think, holy crap am I poisoning my beloved bird (or potential bird)? One would hope that having a reason beyond one's self to stop such a damaging habit, it might provide some motivation to seek out the help to quit? Understand its an addiction, but its such a devastating thing to yourself, everyone around you and especially a bird.

I don't think my email to applicants who smoke is an attack or mean spirited, I hope it is written with the intent, and the number one priority at A Helping Wing - education. If an adopter comes in and wants to adopt a male and female green cheek cause they are so cute, wouldn't they just make the most adorable babies... We don't adopt to anyone who intends to breed, that policy would also just drive potential adopters to the nearest pet store....

This is asked with true open request for your honest thoughts, not me being a smarty pants (I know I am notorious for my joking and I think usually witty reponses), but truly asked with the hope for honest communication and your ideas... in such situations, what would you suggest or like to see happen?

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi Jen - I just wanted to add to this. I have a love seat that I got from my former boss 11 years ago. Every night when I sit on that couch I smell cigarette smoke. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out where the smell was coming from but I finally figured it out. No one has smoked in our house - EVER - and I just found it weird that the smell is still there.

That loveseat would scare the crap out of me...

Granted I am a person who when finding an interesting topic, I literally research til my eyes pop out of my head, and my education and background is Johns Hopkins, worked in both clinical and academic research side of things at Hopkins in the Bayview Campus a lifetime ago. After that the clinician and scientist I worked for bribed me (yeah literally bribed) to come to Pennsylvania to work at a young and upcoming biotech company in West Chester. So, when I read articles knowing what biotech, pharma and the research world is really like, I tend to raise an eyebrow and go searching for the rest of the story.

Anyway, that babbling brings me to an article I read about some of the first research into smoking residue and the part that really is scary is what smoking residue changes into... here is one of the articles... Scientists Search For Toxins In Cigarette Smoke Residue : Shots - Health News : NPR