• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help ! My birds are uninterested in hand feeding

Nani0624

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Natalie Rivas
I have two 5 week old IRN’s and we’ve had them for almost a week now. We have been hand feeding them but I’ve been watching videos how everyone else’s ring necks beg to eat the food from the syringe but my ring necks seem un interested in the food. We have been feeding them but we have to get them to open their mouths to feed them. They eat 4 times a day ever 5 hours. Is there something we are doing wrong ? Or anything that we can do to get them to eat ? We currently feet them the Exact hand feeding formula mixed with water. Any suggestions ?

Attachments

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
It is not normal for baby birds especially that young to be showing no signs of interest in food. I would take them to the vet.

There are a lot of reasons why your birds are refusing food.
Your baby birds migjt be refusing the formula because it is too cool. Cold baby formula will cause infections because it sits in the crop too long. Make sure the crop is empty before feeding again, or your birds will get infections. Make sure it is not too hot either get a thermometer and in the mean time test the formula in the inside of your wrist to make sure it is warm, but not too hot.

Have you talked to the breeder? They should show you how to hand feed properly. Maybe they are not used to your style of hand feeding- (breeder used syringe and you use spoon)

Make sure you trigger a feeding response before feeding them so the food does not go down the wrong pipe. When you trigger a feeding response, the bird holds its breath and bobs its head so the food does not go down the wrong way. If there is no feeding response, they may aspirate. You can trigger a feeding response by using your thumb and pointer to touch the skin around the beak (where it connects top and bottom)

Also important: do not take too long trying to feed the babies. The birds will lose their feeding response if the hand feeder is too slow getting any food in.

I’m no expert on hand feeding but these are some tips I read when I had to do a few feedings for my bird. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with baby birds and end terribly.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Make sure it is not too hot either get a thermometer and in the mean time test the formula in the inside of your wrist to make sure it is warm, but not too hot.
Wrist testing is not advised. Too easy to make mistakes. You can buy thermometers in lots of places, supermarkets, chemists, drugstores. Can easily source one same day.

Make sure you trigger a feeding response before feeding them so the food does not go down the wrong pipe. When you trigger a feeding response, the bird holds its breath and bobs its head so the food does not go down the wrong way. If there is no feeding response, they may aspirate.
That´s right.
Forcing the beak open means they are not accepting the feed willingly.

Things to look at,
Correct formula temp - 105F / 40.5C
Use the same formula as the breeder did
Use a spoon
Mix the formula well, make sure no lumps or bumps
Keep the formula warm in a bain marie while you feed
Are the chicks housed some where warm? (edit; after looking at the pics, these birds should be inside a brooder when not out being fed)
A tip to try is dimming the light and feeding the chicks in the brooder.
What schedule do you have, and how much formula are you feeding per feed?
How much do these birds weigh? Are you weighing daily?

If these birds lose weight quickly, they will need to be gavage fed - you will need the vet to do that or teach you how to. Do not attempt to do it from watching videos alone.