• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help my bird chews on soap dispenser!

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hello,
My 4 month old green cheek was with me in the bathroom. Then he went and chewed on the soap dispenser! I stopped him right away, but I don't know how much he has ate! Every vet is closed! I don't know what to do! Plz don't tell me to go see a vet. I attached a photo of the soap dispenser. He just chewed a little bit the tip of the dispenser. He might have touched the soap with his tongue. I tried to wash his beak but I don't if it worked!
Thanks

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's the ingredients list of the soap?

My guess is he will be just fine, but monitor his droppings.

You could also call a pet poison control hotline if you know the ingredients of the soap for advice.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
What's the ingredients list of the soap?

My guess is he will be just fine, but monitor his droppings.

You could also call a pet poison control hotline if you know the ingredients of the soap for advice.
Thanks for the advice. I made him drink a lot of water. And he got 3 watery poops and now he is back to normal droppings. I don't see any behavior change and he is eating. I'll attach a pic of the ingredient lists. The brand is softsoap.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That sounds correct. Basically persistent diarrhea or vomiting would be the warning signs you need medical intervention.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hopefully everything will be ok.

I just want to mention that giving water is not always what is recommended for soap ingestion.

Not sure what they’d recommend for birds but I’d be willing to bet it would be something with a high fat content.

I recall being told not to allow any water intake nor even rinse the mouth after ingestion of soaps as it will simply allow or make the soap foam up- milk was the recommended thing in the case of a ferret and a human who ingested liquid soap as the fats in the milk helped with breaking down the soaping agent meaning less chance of inhaling foam that can form inside the body.

Last edited:

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hopefully everything will be ok.

I just want to mention that giving water is not always what is recommended for soap ingestion.

Not sure what they’d recommend for birds but I’d be willing to bet it would be something with a high fat content.

I recall being told not to allow any water intake nor even rinse the mouth after ingestion of soaps as it will simply allow or make the soap foam up- milk was the recommended thing in the case of a ferret and a human who ingested liquid soap as the fats in the milk helped with breaking down the soaping agent meaning less chance of inhaling foam that can form inside the body.
Oh gosh! But until now, he seem to be pretty normal. His droppings are normal to. I wish I knew this before, everyone was telling me to give water to dilute it. Anyway I will never leave the soap dispenser in the bathroom when he comes in with me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Glad he’s pooping and behaving normal.