• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! My 3mth cockatiel is eerily quiet

shayanne0

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
shayanne
Please help.. I brought home a 3mth old cockatiel yesterday. It has been in the same position where I left it, no movements and not a single sound. I have not seen it eat or drink by itself. It nibbed on some millet when I hand-fed it but that was it. It is tamed and is not afraid of hands. I am very worried about it being dehydrated. I have a camera set up at the side of the cage and my cockatiel literally sits in the same position for hours when left alone. However, when I stand in front of the cage it moves slightly, or starts grooming itself/ stretching its wings, once I step away it goes back to being a statue. What should I do?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well your bird is probably not used to being alone; in the wild they would never be alone. If it's quiet in your home, try leaving a radio or TV on, or even a fan that creates some white noise. Silence is scary! This is all an adjustment and it's not unusual at all for birds to be very quiet and reserved the first several days.

Also there doesn't seem to be any toys in the cage, so there's not really anything for your bird to do besides eat and drink and sit there.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Also there doesn't seem to be any toys in the cage, so there's not really anything for your bird to do besides eat and drink and sit there.
I wanted to add that you should add more natural wood perches because dowel perches like that can cause bumblefoot and arthritis. Try to avoid toys with string because a bird could get caught in the string. Hope this helps! ;)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hello welcome to your new beautiful birdie!!!

You only want to cover the back side of the cage if needed to provide a feeling of security. If cage can't have back side against a wall its a good idea to cover just the back.

Otherwise uncover the rest of the cage. Birds respond to normal, bright light and are active. But cave like and dim triggers more of a roosting response .

All birds going to a new home experience some apprehension. And some are so fearful they eat less or don't eat. But we want them eating!!! So hang a few millet sprays in the cage as they are very tempting high value treat!!! Which most can't resist! Make sure to offer the food they had before, as it takes time to switch food types with parrots. They can believe new food isn't food at all.

If your new one is a little fearful of you. Make sure you always approach the cage from the front and say hello ( birds name) and explain what you are doing. Create a ritual or routine so they know what to expect.

Spend time sitting near and chatting with them .

If the cage is low to the ground. Raise the cage on a table or something so that the parrot is at your chest height in the cage. This can really help increase feelings of security.

Do you have any other pets like cats or dogs thst could be causing fear?

Great article on stress in parrots

Last edited:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How’s he doing now? Has he settled in any better?