• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help me with senegal parrot care

Saša

Sitting on the front steps
Hi there guys! So I am getting a senegal parrot and i have been wondering what is the minimum cage size you would say is best for them /i will go bigger than the minimum/ or what cage size would you go for? I cant go really big bc i live in a apartment /he will be left in his cage for night and on working days for 6-7 hours, he will be left out to fly around for 4hours minimum in working days and on weekends for like 10 hours minimum/ .. also what toys do your senegals enjoy ? and what cage setup would you go for? And do you have any tips, things that i should be aware of etc? How would you say about their diet? I cant get good pellets here where i live so i will be feeding seeds and lots and lots of vegetables and fruit. Also if you have any male names i would be more than happy if you left a suggestion! anything would help me!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is a good resource for cage sizes:

I would stick to something with 3/4" or smaller bar spacing, and nothing smaller than a flight cage (32x21).

As for toys, my Poicephalus and many of the ones I have as customers love to chew. So tons of 1/4" and 1/2" pine. Mine also likes balsa, cork, etc, but that's more expensive. My Jardine's goes through about $100 worth of toys a month :lol: I highly recommend Seriously Nutz for toys for chewers :) if your bird ends up being a shredder and liking balsa, cork, mahogany, checkout my site ;) LMBT

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like this cage for a Senegal:
Can't believe the price, though. It's really increased since I've purchased the ones I have.
You could also consider an A&E 32 x 23 Powder Coated Play Top A&E Cage - Mybirdstore.com
That's gone up in price, too.
However these are examples for decent sizes especially if you are limited when it comes to space.
My Senegal doesn't play with toys as much as he used to but the preference was pine and balsa as well as other textures such as cork and paper.
Stainless steel toys such as bells are also great. My Senegal loves to swing and I would recommend providing one to your Senegal. I find that most
of my Poicephalus like using a swing.

Saša

I like this cage for a Senegal:
Can't believe the price, though. It's really increased since I've purchased the ones I have.
You could also consider an A&E 32 x 23 Powder Coated Play Top A&E Cage - Mybirdstore.com
That's gone up in price, too.
However these are examples for decent sizes especially if you are limited when it comes to space.
My Senegal doesn't play with toys as much as he used to but the preference was pine and balsa as well as other textures such as cork and paper.
Stainless steel toys such as bells are also great. My Senegal loves to swing and I would recommend providing one to your Senegal. I find that most
of my Poicephalus like using a swing.
Thanks a lot! i have found two cages one is 22''x22''x35'' ad the other one is 19''x30''x37 /depth x width x height/ Do you think that they would be big enough? If yes witch one would you choose? I am not finding bigger cages with a small enough bar spacing... so i just would like to know if one of those cages would be okay you know..

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
It's no contest for me, I'd choose the 19x30x37 if you can't find anything wider with the right bar spacing. A good rule of thumb is a bird should be able to flap it's wings inside without hitting the cage walls and once you start adding toys there's less room for them to do that.

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
My Senegal loves loves loves foot toys-wicker balls and little spiky balls. She really doesn't like hard wood-prefers balsa.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks a lot! i have found two cages one is 22''x22''x35'' ad the other one is 19''x30''x37 /depth x width x height/ Do you think that they would be big enough? If yes witch one would you choose? I am not finding bigger cages with a small enough bar spacing... so i just would like to know if one of those cages would be okay you know..
Both of those seem very small to me for a Senegal. Especially since they’re going to get smaller with dishes and perches and toys inside them.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I also think both of these cages are too small. I understand you live in an apartment so there are space issues, but if that issue trumps getting a bigger cage, I think the best thing is to wait until you're living in a larger place that can accommodate a larger cage. It doesn't matter if you THINK your bird will get X hours of out-of-cage time every day; it's cage must still be as spacious as possible. Giving a parrot out-of-cage time is not an excuse to keep it in a smaller cage.

I wouldn't go any smaller than 32 inches wide by 24 inches deep by 30 inches tall.

Good luck.

Saša

I also think both of these cages are too small. I understand you live in an apartment so there are space issues, but if that issue trumps getting a bigger cage, I think the best thing is to wait until you're living in a larger place that can accommodate a larger cage. It doesn't matter if you THINK your bird will get X hours of out-of-cage time every day; it's cage must still be as spacious as possible. Giving a parrot out-of-cage time is not an excuse to keep it in a smaller cage.

I wouldn't go any smaller than 32 inches wide by 24 inches deep by 30 inches tall.

Good luck.
The issue isn't really the space but just that i can't find any big enough cage with the right bar spacing... but i will keep searching.. thanks a lot for the help guys!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What area of the world do you live in? That may help us help you

Saša

What area of the world do you live in? That may help us help you
I live in Slovakia and i am still searching for a cage that will fit in my budget which is 300eur