• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me with my baby conure

Will she ever wwwnt to stop eating formula?

• Total voters

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
My sun conure is 4 months and still gets formula 2x a day. In the morning she won't eat seeds and only beg for formula and the night I give her some to fill her crop up bcs also when she eats seeds her crop never feels full like it does when she has formula. Even when I see her eating seeds, she looks like I'm hansfeeding her..:. Like she'll put her head up and down a bunch of times. I need help weaning 100% I don't want her to be one of those birds who always beg for formula. I heard that they should start declining it but she only wants it more and more. I also have a quick question, when do they learn to start using there hands to hold food? Is it normal at that age not to have learnt? Ty☀ Oh and Btw I just got her 3 weeks ago

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Give her other things in addition to the seeds: millet, softened pellets, cooked veggies, small pieces of fruit. You can even put some of the formula in a small bowl and let her eat it on her own.
Are you feeding her the same things that the breeder was feeding her? It's good to be consistent.
What is her name?

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
Hi iamwhoiam so I do give her what she was getting fed b4 I got her also I always try to give her fruits and veggies but she'll never eat them and do you know when they'll learn to use there hands to hold food? Thanks and her name is sunshine

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea when they start using their feet to hold things. I think my Dusky who I hand raised might have been about 4 mos old but I really don't remember.
Don't give up with offering her a variety of foods. Have you tried millet spray? If you are offering her fruits and veggies then sit next to her and eat them. It's possible that if she sees you eating those she might be more interested in giving them a try.

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
Do you think she'll always want formula forever?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Has the bird had a vet check by an avian vet? I would think a 4 months-old conure would be using its feet to eat. Can you post a picture of what food you're offering. Many birds will accept formula their entire lives, but a healthy bird shouldn't be dependent on formula its entire life. Have you talked to the breeder or store where you got the baby?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You have posted the same question in three places. You should ask the moderators to close two of the threads.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Sunshine doing? BTW, are you monitoring her weight?