• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me with Clingy conure

LA Leighan

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi..i have joined the forum in hopes to gain tips on what i can do to keep my little featherd friend as happy as possible.. I am trying to do all things possible to provide Chi Chi ( thats her name) a happy comfortable life...i have screened in my porch and have secured it to be a safe place to enjoy some fresh air with plenty of perches to land and sit on..i do not clip her wings and i let her have the ability to fly..i bought her a large cage with plenty of space for moving and stretching for times i have to work...im trying to give her as much freedom as possible and heres the problem..she dosnt care anything about freedom or the ability to move and fly about ALL SHE WANTS TO DO IS BE LATCHED ON TO ME...the moment she is out of her cage my freedom ENDS....i have done so much to give her space for flying and freedom but sadly i find myself not wanting to let her out of her cage as much as i want her to be because she simple wont do anything besides attach herself to my head, shoulders, back...and i cant do anything..it gets so uncomfortable trying to do anyrhing with her latched on to me until i finally cant take it and lock her back in her cage. Ughhh..so frustrating...ia there any solutions?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!

Aside from space and perches, are you providing foraging activities and toys to keep her occupied?

Here is an article worth reading:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
How old is Chi Chi, and how long has she been with you?

If she's newly with you and still young, you (as a human, like those who probably raised her) may be the most familiar thing to her.

Allowing her to become accustomed to her surroundings and possibly even teaching her how to play with her toys may be required.

Here's another Pamela Clark post that covers some of this...

BerylChaos

Checking out the neighborhood
I had a similar issue with my green cheek Beryl, and still do to some extent. I found that teaching him how to play with toys was the trick. I use toys like rattan balls, popsicle sticks, some wooden bird safe toys and put them in my mouth, play around a bit, and make noises like I'm enjoying it. I would then offer the toy to Beryl. He copies me most of the time, and then enjoy his new toy. His favorite is a popsicle stick stuck in something to hold it tight so he can shred the stick. He goes through about 2-3 a week.

I also got him a small colorful wooden playground for conures which I try to keep his toys on. His playpen sits about 5-7 feet from my desk with either the bed or an end table with bird ladders in between so he can run from me to his playpen and back. Now he amuses himself on his playpen over half the time and on me the rest, but he still needs to go with me if I leave the room.

Another thing to try is to have a couple smaller cages or perches in other rooms, and let her sit in/on those while you are in that room without letting her climb on you. Every time she gets to you put her back on the perch and give her a treat if she doesn't try to climb back up or is playing nicely by herself, but near you. You will have to take her in between rooms, and this can be a pain if you are doing chores or going between rooms a lot. If you show her that you will take her with you, and she can be safe on her perches in the same room without being on you then she will hopefully be more receptive to it.