• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help me tame my canaries pls.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Alright so I'm a recent bird lover, so basically my dad (a foreigner) is in LOVE with birds he bought us a canary abt 4 yrs ago, mikey was his name and we didn't really do good and recently he bought me 2 orange roller canaries (blaze and scarlet) and I was getting close with both of them but my baby brother kept on scaring the shizz out of them so I put them in my room to get away from his crazy bum and now they dont trust me, how do I tame them and regain their trust? btw every day I chop up carrots and vegetables and obviously seed. I chop up the fruits/vegetables into little bits and give it to them they love it but they still don't quite trust me. do you guys have ANY TIPS AT ALL because I really love them and I want to bond with them.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Have you been spending less time with them since you moved them? How long ago did you move them? They may still be getting used to their surroundings and need some time to adjust. I have no canaries so I'm not much help, someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Welcome to the avenue!

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
When they first moved I was spending less time, then Recently this month I've been spending way more time with them. I moved them abt 2 or 3 months ago

thanks for your advice.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
When they first moved I was spending less time, then Recently this month I've been spending way more time with them. I moved them abt 2 or 3 months ago

thanks for your advice.
They might just need more socialization. I had a budgie that hated everyone until I moved him upstairs and he warmed up really quickly. How was your brother scaring them? If it was because he was hitting the cage or touching the birds, you could try moving them into a higher place he can't reach.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Hi I have a cannery that is sort of hand trained. He came like that though. I don’t usually hear about canneries being hand trained. I was just really lucky. Try hand feeding him first. Lure him with some of his favorite seeds like millet or something. Once he realizes that your hands mean food he will readily accept hand training like step up and recall. Just remember DONT GET DISCOURAGED!!! Some birds take longer than others to hand train. Birds have personalities. Some will accept you readily and others take more time. Just be patient. Good luck!!!!:):)

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
They might just need more socialization. I had a budgie that hated everyone until I moved him upstairs and he warmed up really quickly. How was your brother scaring them? If it was because he was hitting the cage or touching the birds, you could try moving them into a higher place he can't reach.
yeah he was hitting the cage but I moved them to my room

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Hi I have a cannery that is sort of hand trained. He came like that though. I don’t usually hear about canneries being hand trained. I was just really lucky. Try hand feeding him first. Lure him with some of his favorite seeds like millet or something. Once he realizes that your hands mean food he will readily accept hand training like step up and recall. Just remember DONT GET DISCOURAGED!!! Some birds take longer than others to hand train. Birds have personalities. Some will accept you readily and others take more time. Just be patient. Good luck!!!!:):)
thank you so much god bless :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi. You have to spend A LOT of time with them to tame them. A lot a lot a lot. Hold millet in your hand, 15 minutes at a time, and eventually they will eat it. Same with the fresh chop (which is great for them by the way). Put a perch on the outside of their cage, let them come out on it and reward with millet (if they let you). I cleared off a table and put a perch on it, and fed mine the chop there every day about the same time. They learned to fly from the cage to the table, and since they were closer I could tap the perch and say “perch.” Eventually they learned to go where I tap.
Some members here have theirs a lot more tame than that.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Hi. You have to spend A LOT of time with them to tame them. A lot a lot a lot. Hold millet in your hand, 15 minutes at a time, and eventually they will eat it. Same with the fresh chop (which is great for them by the way). Put a perch on the outside of their cage, let them come out on it and reward with millet (if they let you). I cleared off a table and put a perch on it, and fed mine the chop there every day about the same time. They learned to fly from the cage to the table, and since they were closer I could tap the perch and say “perch.” Eventually they learned to go where I tap.
Some members here have theirs a lot more tame than that.
thank you so much, you guys are soo helpfull!!