• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help me save this hummingbird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookylicorice

Meeting neighbors
A poor little hummingbird must have crashed into one of our windows. It's been about an hour now and it's still breathing, but her eyes are closed and she only moves when I touch her. Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

ciesana

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
She'll have a good chance if she makes it through the night, although they are so fragile that they often die of shock.

At the very least she needs a warm, dark place. A small aquarium or shoebox will work; cover the bottom with a towel and some paper towel. Wrap a heating pad around one side, or place a hot water bottle on one side.

Hummingbirds also have really fast metabolisms, which means she's going to need sustenance soon. You'll need a very, very small syringe. She's probably in shock and might not eat, but you can try.

Here is how to make hummingbird nectar (it's not perfect, but will do in a pinch):
Mix 4 parts water to 1 part table sugar in a pan. For example, use 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water. Do not use honey, Jell-O or brown sugar. Especially do not use artificial sweeteners. Putting hummingbirds on a diet will kill them. They burn prodigious amounts of energy for their size and need real sugar. Do not use red food coloring. It is unnecessary and can harm the little hummers even in low concentrations because they eat so much nectar. If your feeder isn't red, tie a red ribbon on it as described in the Feeders section, above. Do not add anything else that you might think of. Just sugar and water, that's all.
Bring to a boil then remove from the heat. Stir it while it is heating until all of the sugar is dissolved. Don't boil it for long because that will change the ratio as water is boiled off. The reason for boiling is not to make syrup, but to drive out the chlorine in the water and to kill mold and yeast spores that might be in the sugar. This will help make the nectar last longer both in the feeder and in your refrigerator.
Cover and allow to cool before using or pouring into the storage bottle.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
feed her humming birds need a lot of food

Hummingbird Food Recipe

gives a recipe I do not know how good nut it might help

do you have an avian vet or wildlife rescue group you can call

it is illegal to keep humming birds in us with out a rehab permit

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
You dont' necessarily have to tube feed her- just try sticking her beak in the liquid. This worked when something similar happened to me (many years ago). The sugar water was enough to perk the little fella up and he flew away soon after.

spookylicorice

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much for the replies! I fed her a little then took her to a women who runs a hummingbird rescue pretty close nearby. It looked like she was going to be all right! :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Sounds like good news...thanks for helping her.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I love happy endings. Thanks for saving the little one.:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that it worked out!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so glad you found a hummingbird rescue for her...

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I'm so happy to hear that she is going to ok! Thanks for saving this little one. :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Thats great news to hear! Thank you for helping this precious hummingbird *HUGS*

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Wonderful! I'm so glad that you were able to take care of her and then get her to someone else who will be able to rehab her

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for helping out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.