• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Hi Avian Family!

Duck is officially 7 months old as of today. She is lovable and snuggly, and an overall sweetheart. I know that puberty will hit at some point, and I’m prepared for a change of behavior (teenagers, am I right?).
I’m hoping to get some insight to help me prepare for what I’m in for. For those of you with green cheeks that have been through puberty, what can I expect? What are specific methods or tools you used to help curb bad or aggressive habits if any began to develop? If possibly, specific directions are much appreciated! For example, I know positive reinforcement is the way to go, but specifically what would you do?

thanks everyone! ☺

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have a GCC, but my CH Conure is very hormonal at the moment. Opie is 21 years old, though, and not a baby. I'm currently trying to figure out what does and does not work for him to reduce his hormonal triggers. You may have to do something similar when the time comes for your baby. Just make changes and see what works.

I thought he would like paper to shred to get out his aggression and energy. It turns out that for him, shreddable paper just makes things worse. So, I have removed paper from his cage top and the hanging strips I placed in his cage. He is currently on a 14 hour dark/sleep schedule, which has stopped his regurgitating. I have read that abundant food and carbohydrates can bring about hormonal behaviors, so I have stopped giving him any fruit and I'm reducing his food a bit at a time to just what he actually consumes. I even offered him chop twice today.

On Sunday, Opie was the most aggressive he has been while out of his cage. Every time I would even stand up in the room, he would rush to the edge of the cage nearest me and lunge at me to bite. He also spent a great deal of time pleasuring himself on his foot toys. If he tries to bite, I simply walk away and refuse to engage with him in any way. I have removed the foot toys from his cage top, and I have hung up chewable toys on his cage top (he can't be triggered as much by a toy he can't, uh, sit on) as well as inside his cage.

I've also begun to target train him. Sometimes, I can distract him from his grumpies by having a small target training session.

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
I don't have a GCC, but my CH Conure is very hormonal at the moment. Opie is 21 years old, though, and not a baby. I'm currently trying to figure out what does and does not work for him to reduce his hormonal triggers. You may have to do something similar when the time comes for your baby. Just make changes and see what works.

I thought he would like paper to shred to get out his aggression and energy. It turns out that for him, shreddable paper just makes things worse. So, I have removed paper from his cage top and the hanging strips I placed in his cage. He is currently on a 14 hour dark/sleep schedule, which has stopped his regurgitating. I have read that abundant food and carbohydrates can bring about hormonal behaviors, so I have stopped giving him any fruit and I'm reducing his food a bit at a time to just what he actually consumes. I even offered him chop twice today.

On Sunday, Opie was the most aggressive he has been while out of his cage. Every time I would even stand up in the room, he would rush to the edge of the cage nearest me and lunge at me to bite. He also spent a great deal of time pleasuring himself on his foot toys. If he tries to bite, I simply walk away and refuse to engage with him in any way. I have removed the foot toys from his cage top, and I have hung up chewable toys on his cage top (he can't be triggered as much by a toy he can't, uh, sit on) as well as inside his cage.

I've also begun to target train him. Sometimes, I can distract him from his grumpies by having a small target training session.
Thank you! This is very helpful!