• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help Me Please!!

Axie Atienza

Meeting neighbors
I got my budgie last month and I’m very worried about her. She wasn’t so bad at the start, and I wasn’t worried about her at all. When I first got her, her tail feathers were really dirty. But I let that slide since I knew birds take a bath by theirselves. The first week I got her, she was really aggressive. And she was active and didn’t take naps a lot. The second week, I noticed poop on her vent area. I didn’t know what to do, and I couldn’t take her to the vet because there weren’t any vets nearby. Her poop started getting liquidy and she kept taking naps every now and then. Her feathers are now puffy and she hides her face in her wings. I know that’s a bad sign and I tried removing the poop off her butt but it’s stuck to her feathers and I’m scared that I might hurt her. All she’s been eating are seeds. But my other bird lives in the same cage and Is much more healthy and active. They also stayed in my room for a few weeks too. Please help me! I really want her to live long answer be happy!!

Here are her details:
Name: Froyo
Diet: Seeds

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
She needs a vet. What country/state are you in? Someone may be able to point you towards a vet in your area who can help her.

Also, you need to separate them. She could get your other bird sick or he may pick on her while she's feeling ill.

Axie Atienza

Meeting neighbors
I live here in the Philippines. I tried looking for a vet nearby with Google Maps but the nearest one is really really far. I’ll try to get her there ASAP. I might ask my older sister to drive me there tomorrow for a checkup and treatment. But if she’s doesn’t allow me I might wait until Monday this week or later.

Axie Atienza

Meeting neighbors
It’s just really poopy. There aren’t any swollen red spots on her butt, it’s fortunately just poop. She is still a very weak bird as of now. Do you have any suggestions on how I can personally clean her poop? Here’s a picture I took just a while ago:

Attachments

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
One of my budgies went through this but wasn't as bad. If the bird isn't pooping then they be backed up because everything is sticking to their feathers. Get a small bowl and fill with Luke warm water and a shallow tray or plate, hold the budgie in your hand and have it so that its on its back gently blow the feathers around its Bum to separate them. Hold her over the dish and pour water from the bowl onto the area, get some cotton wool and gently wipe and repeat until you can see the vent.

Make sure that they are getting plenty of fluids and you offer some veggies, fruit, egg or egg food for a bit of strength and extra fluids. Keep them warm and separate her as well as provide a quite environment with little stress. Get a vet appointment as soon as you can

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oof, that's not looking too good. Do you have a travel cage or something you can bring into the bathroom? Steam may help to soften that up, but you need to keep her away from the hot water and be there to supervise. If she's already stressed, I wouldn't risk bathing het, she needs to stay warm.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
From the time birds first display symptoms until it gets too severe can be really short. It worries me that she is a very weak bird. For her sake, and the sake of her other birds who could catch what she has, she needs to get to a vet ASAP, like today.

Axie Atienza

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone! She is already tamed, and likes to perch on my hand. I might as well bring her to the bathroom so she could take a bath in the sink. I cannot bring her to the vet today. It’s passed 5PM and the vet it closed already. She’s sleeping right now. Should I remove her poop right now or let it wait tomorrow?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
First and foremost, you must remove Froyo from the cage she shares with your other bird, and move her into a separate room. Until you know what's wrong, it's best to assume that she could easily spread her illness and infect your flock.
She really needs to be seen by a vet absolutely as soon as possible. I know it's difficult when you can't get there yourself, but please do what you can to convince your sister to bring you. I don't want you to lose your baby.
:sadhug2:

Axie Atienza

Meeting neighbors
Hey Everyone, Froyo and I went to the bathroom to remove some of her poop for now. I couldn’t remove all of the poop right now because I’m scared that if I force her I’ll lose her trust. I just asked my sister to bring us to the vet tomorrow and she said yes. I’ll give you guys a quick update when I wake up in the morning.

P.S.
How do I keep my birds warm? I don’t have mini heater to keep them warm. I just placed a thin bed sheet over their cage so they’ll feel at least A BIT warm. I don’t have another cage but I’ll also try to buy a cage tomorrow. Also, my siblings are telling me it isn’t very natural to keep a bird in the house. I’ve always watched bird videos online and I usually see birds having their cages inside the house and toys and a mini playground and stuff. They’re asking me if it’s okay to put Fruity (My other budgie) and Froyo outside the house. Im very freaking scared that a cat might disturb them or they’ll get heat stroke. The Philippines is a tropical country and each day it’s more than 30 degrees outside so I’m scared that they might die from the heat or something like that! Please help me with this. I don’t know what to do.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
In Some countries it is normal to keep small birds, songbirds usually, outside in Tiny cages. Normal? Yes. Healthy and good for the bird? Defiantly not. You can bring them outside for a bit of sun while you are there but defiantly dont’t leave them! They need toys and playgrounds like you Said.
I noticed on the picture the wings of your other budgie seemed to be hanging too, was that just because it was hot? If theh droop their wings like that all the time I think your other budgie might be getting ill too.
I hope They Will be okay!

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
They’re asking me if it’s okay to put Fruity (My other budgie) and Froyo outside the house. Im very freaking scared that a cat might disturb them or they’ll get heat stroke. The Philippines is a tropical country and each day it’s more than 30 degrees outside so I’m scared that they might die from the heat or something like that! Please help me with this. I don’t know what to do.
I put my budgie outside on our dining set outside, in his cage. and he LOVES it, he sings to the other birds, and ive never had a problem with the neighborhood cats going out to get him. so long has the bars are narrow, and so long as you have it by a window so you keep an eye on him, or you can even hang the cage (so long has it's designed for that.) I leave mine out for about two hours at a time, if im outside with him, then longer. Making sure he has food and water available. The temps I feel most comfortable bringing him outside are 70-85, on the warmer days i limit his outside time, because i dont want him to over heat.

But letting your birb enjoy the outside from the comfort of his own cage is no problem at all. it's good for birds to get fresh air.

And no, keeping a tamed bird inside is normal. Keeping a wild animal that you just plucked out of the sky, is not normal. It would be cruel to leave the tame bird outside to fend for itself, it would not survive. They need to do more research before they start making you feel like a bad bird parent.

Axie Atienza

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! I’m not sure that Fruity’s sick. He’s very active and likes playing with the toys I give him. There aren’t any abnormal behaviours and he likes singing and chirping like a normal happy bird. Hopefully I can separate those two tomorrow because I don’t want Fruity to get infected or anything like that.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Do you have a hot water bottle or a heat pack? If they're wrapped in a towel, you should be okay.

Also, never leave your bird outside unsupervised. Animals can grab or injure a bird through the bars, knock the cage over, ECT. Just because you don't see a predator near the cage doesn't mean they aren't there.

Budgies are one of a very few number of parrots considered to be domesticated. Pet budgies are no more wild than chickens.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Birds hide their illnesses so they don't get picked of by predators, if it's an infection the vet may want to treat all the birds (that's what happened with my guys).

Monitor their poop very closely and I'd still ask the vet for a check up just to be on the safe side.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's nothing. Just be careful! I can't leave my window open when I'm gone anymore. Some sort of animal messed up a portion of my screen trying to get inside. I know it wasn't my birds, as whatever it was pulled towards the outside.

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
It's nothing. Just be careful! I can't leave my window open when I'm gone anymore. Some sort of animal messed up a portion of my screen trying to get inside. I know it wasn't my birds, as whatever it was pulled towards the outside.
Holy cow! Do you live in the city or out in the country? That's pretty scary. I live in a city with a small fenced in back yard. I'm sorry that happened.