• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me please with this decision...

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thanks so very much all of you! I just spent a while doing what @JoJo&Loki suggested... (why didn't I think of this?) researching people who have a disease of the lungs who DO have birds!
Man, that was ultra scary, but yes, I think it was what I needed to hear to make this decision.
I tend to be in denial about my limitations, and this is NOT good when trying to make an informed decision. ESPECIALLY when it comes to our Fids.

And yes, maybe I could actually help her find a home for this cute little rascal via the internet - Despite the fact that she is 3 hours away from me. My friend who is offering this little guy actually has respiratory problems too, and in Jan. of 2019 was hospitalized - this was when she moved her 2 Tiels out of her bedroom into her living room. I had warned her in advance about respiratory problems with powdery birds! It seems I don't do very well at taking my own advice when it comes to a "heart" decision, as @Lady Jane describes. (to the point of denial). :shakehead:
She had people there to take care of her, AND the Tiel, so I was glad for that.

Below is part of the result of my search, if anyone wishes to read about assessing risk of lung disease for bird owners... So I guess as of right now I will have to answer no, to adoption of this sweet guy. :crycry2:
Again, THANK YOU all!!! :grouphug2:

According to the researcher, hypersensitive pneumonitis is an interstitial lung disease characterized by inflammation of the lung interstitium (which is a network of collagen) after inhaling organic substances. In many cases, chronic dry cough may be the only symptom of the disease, in others, shortness of breath at first manifested after making efforts and then at rest; if not detected may progress to cause irreversible lung damage.

While it is due to the inhalation of dust from certain organic particles from different sources, such as cereals, animals, dust and vapors of water tanks, "usually associated with birds because their excrement has a protein (spread Environment with fluttering), which, can be genetically susceptible and develop an exaggerated inflammatory response to that exposure, "explains Dr. Buendia Roldán.

The prolonged and repeated exposure initiates a chronic inflammatory response, manifested by an increase of lymphocytes in the interstitium. "Consequently, the inflammation leads to lung fibrosis, it would be and the presence of scars on the body," says the researcher.

Therefore, it is very important that the disease is diagnosed as early as possible to prevent lung damage. According to Dr. Buendia Roldán, it is required to make a high-resolution CT and spirometry. "In the INER have a blood test can detect the avian antigens."

Treatment requires, first, to avoid exposure to the antigen and the administration of anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive. "In patients who are in the early stages of the disease the cure is achieved, but in those who already have fibrosis control must be achieved to keep moving forward," he says.

Thus, it seems harmless, having a parrot pet or a pair of canaries is, in many cases, like playing Russian roulette with the lungs. The situation is worse for professional poultry fanciers.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You've have many answers already, my arguments would be
* Tiels are dusty. Offering a large bath doesn't guarantee he will use it, doesn't guarantee the amount of dust will reduce, and your health might suffer from this. Think of the work load your 2 budgies give you, and multiply that by 3 (budgies cage + mess, tiel cage + mess, dust everywhere). Is it still OK?

* A third bird isn't a problem, being in that situation myself I know you'd be able to take care of 3, and tiels and budgies do go along well. Would probably be a better option than a third budgie actually, since a third budgie would change the dynamic between your two and you could expect conflicts, while the tiel wouldn't disturb this.

* I mean to remember that your budgies aren't really tame and that it has been a... what should I say... disappointment? So taking in a bird that isn't interested in contact with humans and won't even step up when he is already 3 years old, might not be very rewarding..?

* You say your friends has another tiel and just newly separated them to see how it goes. What is she going to do with this other tiel and why is she offering you only the "male"? Is she keeping the other, or is she trying to rehome them separately?

EDIT: I see you've reach your decision already, sorry for being a little late!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You've have many answers already, my arguments would be
* Tiels are dusty. Offering a large bath doesn't guarantee he will use it, doesn't guarantee the amount of dust will reduce, and your health might suffer from this. Think of the work load your 2 budgies give you, and multiply that by 3 (budgies cage + mess, tiel cage + mess, dust everywhere). Is it still OK?

* A third bird isn't a problem, being in that situation myself I know you'd be able to take care of 3, and tiels and budgies do go along well. Would probably be a better option than a third budgie actually, since a third budgie would change the dynamic between your two and you could expect conflicts, while the tiel wouldn't disturb this.

* I mean to remember that your budgies aren't really tame and that it has been a... what should I say... disappointment? So taking in a bird that isn't interested in contact with humans and won't even step up when he is already 3 years old, might not be very rewarding..?

* You say your friends has another tiel and just newly separated them to see how it goes. What is she going to do with this other tiel and why is she offering you only the "male"? Is she keeping the other, or is she trying to rehome them separately?

EDIT: I see you've reach your decision already, sorry for being a little late!
I was planning to 'power wash' the little rascal... Haaaa - just kidding of course, but I was planning on daily spray mist bottle on him, yet I know this is not a guarantee, and oh my gosh, do I want to compromise my breathing further?

And yes, I guess we could call it a disappointment that my budgies are not tamer, I hate to call it that, but don't know what else to call it to describe it in one word. I think we all hope for cuddly birds to start off with, and then come to the realization that they are all different, and love them for their differences and for their uniqueness!
Goodness knows I would not trade Fergus or Fiona for ANY other bird on earth (hand tamed or not), and I guess that says it all.

My friend still has a teenage daughter living with her, so not only did my friend have 2 Cockatiels, her daughter also has one she adopted last summer! What they did was separate the male (the one I would have inherited), and put the other two together in the teen's bedroom. Since the daughter was in charge of all cage cleaning anyway, it's not that big of a difference for her, and she loves the birds, as well as 2 reptiles in her room. I can hope that the 3 year old male will still get the attention he needs, even in their living room, as they do love him, so this is consoling.

Thanks all of you, for your replies!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Aw, Im so sorry to hear -- I know you really wanted to adopt this masked bandit :bighug: But I am glad you are putting your health first -- even when your heart is so big and generous! :heart:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
As much as I would’ve loved seeing that sweet masked face on AA... I think it’s the right decision too.
Hope you’re not too sad, but at least you have 2 cuties of your own already so you’re still a winner!:joyful:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Aw, Im so sorry to hear -- I know you really wanted to adopt this masked bandit :bighug: But I am glad you are putting your health first -- even when your heart is so big and generous! :heart:
Aww, thank you Jennifer!

As much as I would’ve loved seeing that sweet masked face on AA... I think it’s the right decision too.
Hope you’re not too sad, but at least you have 2 cuties of your own already so you’re still a winner!:joyful:
Yes indeed, I really do feel like a winner - I should say - really AM a winner with Fergus and Fiona.
I think a lot about Diane (Lady Jane) who had to rehome her Mickey and Murphy, and hope that she is doing okay after this. I know that must have been devastating, and my heart goes out to her daily. I am SO glad she still participates here and shares her experience and wisdom.

Aw, Elly, I am relieved but sad. He is SO cute. And I hope that one of these days Fergus and Fiona and Frost and Packe r will surprise us and decide we are safe and fun.
Does it count that when Fergus first flew out today, I thought he was going to collide with my head and have to land on me by sheer accident? :oops: Fiona is being a brat lately, I think she's coming in season again, and she does not want to step up for millet readily. She doesn't even want to fly loops around the room as much! Boy can they be moody, eh? Time now to go put Mommy's Monster Hands back in and terrorize the critters with that millet!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Does it count that when Fergus first flew out today, I thought he was going to collide with my head and have to land on me by sheer accident? :oops: Fiona is being a brat lately, I think she's coming in season again, and she does not want to step up for millet readily. She doesn't even want to fly loops around the room as much! Boy can they be moody, eh? Time now to go put Mommy's Monster Hands back in and terrorize the critters with that millet!
Mine don't really care for me, they fly full speed, nearly crashing in my head sometimes. The real target is Pichu, Merlin is getting crazy or jealous again after a relatively quiet 2 months, he is again trying to "make friend" with him by landing on/close to him when he is with me.. Merlin isn't even afraid of my hand if I put it in front of Pichu to protect him from the harassment (this is new, until recently he was flying away if my hand came up... not anymore!).

They have some mad chases around the living room and kitchen until Pichu flies for his life toward me and begs for my protection, hoping that the monster budgie won't follow him there. Poor Pichu is terrorized!!

But Merlin is less and less scared -after 4 years living in my care, you'd THINK he knew I'm a nice person???-, turning bolder and bolder, maybe one day he'll land close to me, or on me just because he wants to and not because there's another bird he wants to be close to... But I really don't care if he does, I'm satisfied with sharing my space with wild budgies, I have one tame bird and that's actually enough! I don't know how people manage several tame birds at the same time, how can they get anything done?? Honestly...

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Mine don't really care for me, they fly full speed, nearly crashing in my head sometimes. The real target is Pichu, Merlin is getting crazy or jealous again after a relatively quiet 2 months, he is again trying to "make friend" with him by landing on/close to him when he is with me.. Merlin isn't even afraid of my hand if I put it in front of Pichu to protect him from the harassment (this is new, until recently he was flying away if my hand came up... not anymore!).

They have some mad chases around the living room and kitchen until Pichu flies for his life toward me and begs for my protection, hoping that the monster budgie won't follow him there. Poor Pichu is terrorized!!

But Merlin is less and less scared -after 4 years living in my care, you'd THINK he knew I'm a nice person???-, turning bolder and bolder, maybe one day he'll land close to me, or on me just because he wants to and not because there's another bird he wants to be close to... But I really don't care if he does, I'm satisfied with sharing my space with wild budgies, I have one tame bird and that's actually enough! I don't know how people manage several tame birds at the same time, how can they get anything done?? Honestly...
Poor Pichu! I can’t believe Merlin hasn’t given up on that yet! Stubborn lil budgies, when they want something there’s no stopping them that’s for sure :wacky:

Also, @Fergus Mom I agree 100% with everything you said about @Lady Jane. Mickey and Murphy are such sweeties and I know that was a very hard thing to do. I’m just glad they landed at another great home, that’s all any of us can hope for in that situation. And I too I’m especially glad she’s still on AA sharing her wisdom :grouphug2:

Last edited: