• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me please with this decision...

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
A friend has approached me about adopting her Cockatiel. I fluctuate daily on the decision since she mentioned this four days ago.

Here are my pros and cons: PLEASE just help me decide anyone who wishes to reply. I feel like I'm going nutzo! Be honest, I can take it!

Background:
The Tiel is thought to be about 3 years old and is thought male, but no DNA testing. She has had him since he was supposed 6 months old, and he is from a pet store.
He is still quite skittish of hands, but has only bitten her once, when she said she might have been too pushy to try and get him to step up. For a year, he has been housed with another Tiel, and she separated them yesterday to see how this went. He doesn't seem particularly fond of the other Tiel, which she thinks is female.

Pros and Cons:
I am concerned that I might be disappointed if he doesn't wish to socialize more. (That sounds so selfish and I realize it, but it is honest)
I was thinking of adopting another bird, but was thinking of a budgie. The reason I had not considered a Tiel are: they could very well outlive me, (I am 66) but I also have emphysema, and I'm not as spry as I used to be (cleaning, bending, mobility, etc.)
I was thinking Tiels lived maybe 15 years, now I am reading 16 to 25! My gosh, 25 years? I'd be 91! I surely don't think I'd be able to clean under cages, or be near as vigilant about housekeeping as I am now. (I'm kinda picturing a decrepit old slob!) :rofl:
I guess if I got unable to take care of him, I might be able to offer him to a forum member here... or something.
I know I would not be pushy about him stepping up, so I'm not that scared of him biting me just cleaning his cage, etc. but I really really hope he will get used to me, fly to me, socialize with me (like Lucy Budgie, even though she would not allow me to touch her, she would fly to me or to houseguests, and she LOVED people) This guy doesn't sound like he likes to fly much at all, and she says he's obsessed when there are mirrors around. I am worried that he might be a she, and lay eggs, but "he" hasn't in the 2 and a half years she has had him... is that likely after that long?

Will I have enough love to give my Fergus, Fiona AND another bird? Even if he's not a social charmer, and decides he doesn't want scritches at all after I spend time trying, I would still take my responsibility very seriously, and treat him as my family members like Fergus and Fi. I really do want him, but I'm scared. I'm scared I won't be able to live up to this responsibility. I do believe I could give him lots more time than my friend, as she recently started a new full time job, and she said she doesn't have much time for him any longer.
Am I making a mistake considering this, or am I just overthinking it, and worrying too much?

Please forgive my long and rambling post! I can only come to you all, the folks I trust to help me with this, and THANK YOU in advance as always. :heart:

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
He looks like he's wearing a little mask! I can't say no, so I'm not much help. Lol But, I'm sure there are people here who can help you when you get older and need help. Good luck with your decision!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The main thing I picked out of all you wrote is that you have emphysema which I do think could become more of a problem for you with a tiel in the house. This is the main thing I think you should concentrate on and be honest with yourself about.......what will you do and how will you feel if the extra dust from a tiel turns out to be way too much for you to safely and comfortably live with?
Other than that, I feel you will have more than enough love to share around and be a perfect person to take on this little guy so I will keep up to date with this thread to see what you decide as I do not want to be late to the welcoming party if you do bring this little guy home :heart:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Here is the little rascal. :heart:
Aww, hes such a cutie! :heart2:

Without a doubt, I think you would be a great caretaker to this little guy! And it sounds like your heart just needs a nudge -- why else would you turn to a bunch of crazy bird people?! :p

But I also worry about your respiratory condition adding a tiel to your home. Do you have or would you be able to get an air purifier too?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The main thing I picked out of all you wrote is that you have emphysema which I do think could become more of a problem for you with a tiel in the house. This is the main thing I think you should concentrate on and be honest with yourself about.......what will you do and how will you feel if the extra dust from a tiel turns out to be way too much for you to safely and comfortably live with?
Other than that, I feel you will have more than enough love to share around and be a perfect person to take on this little guy so I will keep up to date with this thread to see what you decide as I do not want to be late to the welcoming party if you do bring this little guy home :heart:
Yeah, I meant to mention that darn emphysema as one of the cons, but I knew you all would catch it!
:lol: Someone said... (maybe you? or @Mizzely ) that daily baths REALLY cut down on the dander, so I was hoping this would be a deterrent to more respiratory problems. And my friend did say that I could give him back, but I don't think she would be as willing to make the trip up, so I'm not sure what I would do in that situation. Especially if it was an emergency.

Aww, hes such a cutie! :heart2:

Without a doubt, I think you would be a great caretaker to this little guy! And it sounds like your heart just needs a nudge -- why else would you turn to a bunch of crazy bird people?! :p

But I also worry about your respiratory condition adding a tiel to your home. Do you have or would you be able to get an air purifier too?
Love that! Yes, why else WOULD I turn to a bunch of crazy bird people!! LOL, that really cracked me up laughing, thanks!
I would be able to get an air purifier if needed, yes, I wonder if the less expensive ones really help, or do you have to get into the thousands of dollar ones to do any good?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The dander would give me pause too, just because it's so hard to predict how that will affect you in the long run.

I don't think you need the top of the line air purifiers, though :)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a handsome little 'tiel! There's one thing you don't need to be concerned about -- that's definitely a little boy, so no eggy surprises in his future. :D

Like others have mentioned, I'm concerned about your health with a cockatiel around since you have emphysema. While they don't produce near the amount of dander as a larger powder down bird like a 'too or a grey, the amount is still nothing to sneeze (ha) at, and cleaning their cages is very dusty business. Spraying down the bars and papers before tidying, air purifiers, and giving regular showers can help, but there will still be a noticeable amount that makes me nervous for someone with respiratory issues. I wear a mask and still wheeze and cough every time I clean Kraz's area, with only a day's worth of dust hanging around, and I have no extant lung problems that I'm aware of.

I'm a bleeding heart so my instinct is almost always to say go for it, but your health and safety is extremely important and I don't want you getting sick. :heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I thought the exact same thing.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
He really does looks like he’s wearing a mask :loveshower: What a cutie!

I agree with everyone- YOU would be great for him but I’m not sure if his dust would be great for your emphysema. Maybe try researching if anyone with emphysema manages to have a tiel and keep it under control?

What a tough decision... as soon as I saw the pic I was sold! But your health is important. Sorry, I’m not much help! I think his cuteness is fogging up my brain.:wacky:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:laugh: I noticed his cute mask, too!

He's definitely adorable, but maybe you can help her find a home for him instead of taking him in yourself? Then get the budgie you've been wanting. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes your health is in conflict with your heart. This is a difficult situation. Most members know I have had budgies for many years and paid the price health wise. I am here to tell you despite having a quality air filtration system, my lungs decided to go down the road of poor health by developing a chronic cough and 2 lesions from the bird particulates in the air. So far nothing has worsened but the doctors both tell me the condition will not improve because I cannot take steroids. Of course everyone is different. It certainly is risky. I marvel at people who have both cockatiels and cockatoos and in some cases add in an African grey bird who remain healthy.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I also have emphysema
This is the only thing that concerns me. Your health is the first thing...and yes, tiels make dust. Frequent baths will help, as will an air purifier. Since we have 3 tiels and Milton, we have three air purifiers here...they were bought at wallyworld (Walmart) so they're not that expensive.
Even if he's not a social charmer, and decides he doesn't want scritches at all after I spend time trying, I would still take my responsibility very seriously, and treat him as my family members like Fergus and Fi.
I have no doubt of this...tiels, for the most part, are rather cool birds...they will try their best to get along with most people. ;) We've been owned by many tiels in the past...right now, there's 3 of those buggers in our front room...they all have differing personalities...Sunshine likes to hang out with me as much as possible...Igor will pick his time and place to interact with us...then go about his business...Tweety likes to hang out on the curtain rods and not have much direct contact with us. All of this is fine with us. Mocha, the tiel we had before Tweety was a famous "human hater"...we wasted valuable oxygen by breathing it. Of all the tiels that have shared our home, he was the crustiest bird ever...but I had a special spot in my heart for him...;)

If you do choose to bring him into your home, I know you will let him find his rightful place in your flock...

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
No matter how clean you keep them and your home, or how many air purifiers you have, your health could be affected. That is not good for you, or any of your birds. Perhaps someone on AA who lives close to you could give him a loving home. Your health should be your number one concern.

Scotty

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
alan scott
A friend has approached me about adopting her Cockatiel. I fluctuate daily on the decision since she mentioned this four days ago.

Here are my pros and cons: PLEASE just help me decide anyone who wishes to reply. I feel like I'm going nutzo! Be honest, I can take it!

Background:
The Tiel is thought to be about 3 years old and is thought male, but no DNA testing. She has had him since he was supposed 6 months old, and he is from a pet store.
He is still quite skittish of hands, but has only bitten her once, when she said she might have been too pushy to try and get him to step up. For a year, he has been housed with another Tiel, and she separated them yesterday to see how this went. He doesn't seem particularly fond of the other Tiel, which she thinks is female.

Pros and Cons:
I am concerned that I might be disappointed if he doesn't wish to socialize more. (That sounds so selfish and I realize it, but it is honest)
I was thinking of adopting another bird, but was thinking of a budgie. The reason I had not considered a Tiel are: they could very well outlive me, (I am 66) but I also have emphysema, and I'm not as spry as I used to be (cleaning, bending, mobility, etc.)
I was thinking Tiels lived maybe 15 years, now I am reading 16 to 25! My gosh, 25 years? I'd be 91! I surely don't think I'd be able to clean under cages, or be near as vigilant about housekeeping as I am now. (I'm kinda picturing a decrepit old slob!) :rofl:
I guess if I got unable to take care of him, I might be able to offer him to a forum member here... or something.
I know I would not be pushy about him stepping up, so I'm not that scared of him biting me just cleaning his cage, etc. but I really really hope he will get used to me, fly to me, socialize with me (like Lucy Budgie, even though she would not allow me to touch her, she would fly to me or to houseguests, and she LOVED people) This guy doesn't sound like he likes to fly much at all, and she says he's obsessed when there are mirrors around. I am worried that he might be a she, and lay eggs, but "he" hasn't in the 2 and a half years she has had him... is that likely after that long?

Will I have enough love to give my Fergus, Fiona AND another bird? Even if he's not a social charmer, and decides he doesn't want scritches at all after I spend time trying, I would still take my responsibility very seriously, and treat him as my family members like Fergus and Fi. I really do want him, but I'm scared. I'm scared I won't be able to live up to this responsibility. I do believe I could give him lots more time than my friend, as she recently started a new full time job, and she said she doesn't have much time for him any longer.
Am I making a mistake considering this, or am I just overthinking it, and worrying too much?

Please forgive my long and rambling post! I can only come to you all, the folks I trust to help me with this, and THANK YOU in advance as always. :heart:
If you suffer from emphysema might I respectfully suggest that you give Cockateils a wide birth. Along with their cousins the Cockatoo, these are a powder down birds which give off a great deal of powder which will almost certainly agravate your medical condition. I had 2 teils for several years and had to have them rehomed due to similar health issues. Within a couple of weeks of giving them away my health improved greatly. I know it's not what you probably want to hear, however it is worth considering. I now have 2 Green Cheek Conures and as with most birds they do shed a small degree of powder however its power and not powder down. My health has remained good since getting these birds. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Attachments

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I noticed that as well about the emphysema. If you opt to go for it, an extra air purifiers wouldn't hurt. But that's your decision.

Dorcas George

Dang! I feel for you! I’ve said a few times here that I’d get a‘Tiel if I were younger. Getting old is a big pain in so many ways. I don’t have much to add... except the lung issues concern me. I think I’d vote no. Sigh. I’m rooting for you, either way. And @Lady Jane, I’m so sorry. That is very sad, and explains why you had to rehome your beautiful birds. :sadhug2: