• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I am sorry you are going through this. I have experience with an abused no touch bird. When I first brought her home she was feathe plucking but it stopped wit supplements. I used Missing link, a D3 avian powder (I believe it's called Thrive) And ground up egg shells. This article was shared on another forum you may find this interesting EVERYTHING THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BIRD CALCIUM FOR A HEALTHY, HAPPY BIRD

Before bed I'd read children stories aloud to everyone

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I am sorry you are going through this. I have experience with an abused no touch bird. When I first brought her home she was feathe plucking but it stopped wit supplements. I used Missing link, a D3 avian powder (I believe it's called Thrive) And ground up egg shells. This article was shared on another forum you may find this interesting EVERYTHING THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BIRD CALCIUM FOR A HEALTHY, HAPPY BIRD

Before bed I'd read children stories aloud to everyone
Please disregard my comment I didn't realize the date to your thread or see the pages.

Wow!! I just finished reading your thread in its entirety and you both have come such along way. Please share how you started off training with Opie. You are a godsend to him <3

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I finally had a chance to read this whole thread! Thank you so much for documenting your progress!

I know it's only been 4.5 months. I just hoped we might have made a bit more progress by now. Will he always be completely "no touch"?
My ARN is a plucker and still NONONO touch ;) after six months so reading this made me feel so much better about the progress we HAVE made!

Also I hadn't read the forum in a few days, other than little updates in my thread about my new addition as I was trying to figure out which name he likes best, and now I'm super thrilled that he shares Opie's name!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read through this thread again this morning--those feelings of sadness, inadequacy, and "what have I gotten myself into" came flooding back. The struggles I had getting him into a collar, changing a collar, were epic. One of the reasons I am so happy he hasn't needed one in a while is because I don't want to revisit those battles. He still won't let me touch him, except grudgingly on the top of his head--sometimes.

We have come a long way! I'll keep working to gain his trust and make sure he gets the best care I can provide.

@Blueberry I started training Opie in the same way I started training the budgie boys, Jelly and Juju. I started by training him that the sound of the clicker means he gets a treat. So: click, treat; click, treat; etc. This does not take very long at all for clever birds. Once he had the clicker idea down, I introduced the target stick. I use a plain chopstick. I hold the stick about 1 to 2 inches away from his beak and just below his eye line so he can see it. I have found that a curious bird will reach out with their beak to investigate the stick. As soon as he 'beaked' the stick, I clicked and offered a treat. My first day is usually just that much. Once he had the target stick down pat, I would ask him to lean and take a step or two to reach the stick, 'click', treat. After just a few days, I was running him all over the inside of his cage using the target stick. When he had regular out of cage time. I could get him to travel all over the outside of his cage using the target stick, too.

I have used target training to get him to 'spin', step up on a rope perch, and step onto his play perch. Targeting has been a way for me to ask him to do what I would like him to do. It is absolutely voluntary, though. If he is not in the mood, then he is not in the mood. I try again later or the next day. I'm currently working on 'touch' in an effort to get him more comfortable being touched for exams and hopefully getting him in a collar again if need be!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Next month, knock on wood, it will be 1.5 years since Opie has needed his collar!! :marlenesmile:

To celebrate, I'm sharing a video I don't think I've posted here before. Opie was in his collar, and having a fit about it. But it's sooooo cute!! Especially the pitiful little final squeak as he rests his head against the cage bars :sad4: :embarassed:

Wow, time flies! I love that precious, nekkie belly. I'm glad you've reread the thread & can see how far y'all've come together. feeldaluvsmiley.gif

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I’ve just read your whole thread and just wanted to say your amazing opie is so lucky to have you
He’s so gorgeous

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie let me rub one of his little toes today!!!! He normally squeals and tries to bite, and I never push it. Today he let me rub on one of his toes for bit and he really seemed to enjoy his little tootsie massage :)

I needed a win today. It's been a long week and a long weekend!