• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That is so wonderful!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
How are you going about training him for allowing touch? I need details! :p

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ECC63BA8-6F9B-4598-A1BD-721D3F624095.jpeg
Here he is while we were helping family recently. He had just given himself a bath!
BE4056A2-13BC-4373-A7E6-D77533D5ED08.jpeg
He gave himself a pretty good soak! :laugh:

He and the budgie boys loved that sunroom.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Elysian It takes a lot of patience and persistence with him. I say ‘touch beak’, and then reach out to lightly stroke his beak. If he accepts it without trying to draw blood, I tell him “Good Boy!!!” and he gets a treat.

I started pushing it a bit and tried to gently stroke just the top of his head. I say ‘touch head’, and reach out with one finger to stroke the top of his head. Typically he twists around to try to bite me and pulls away. If that’s the case, I’ll move on to another trick or some targeting so we end on a positive. Yesterday and today, he actually let me stroke his head gently two or three times without complaint. He gets a big, excited “good boy!!!” and a treat or two. I hope this helps!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
@Elysian It takes a lot of patience and persistence with him. I say ‘touch beak’, and then reach out to lightly stroke his beak. If he accepts it without trying to draw blood, I tell him “Good Boy!!!” and he gets a treat.

I started pushing it a bit and tried to gently stroke just the top of his head. I say ‘touch head’, and reach out with one finger to stroke the top of his head. Typically he twists around to try to bite me and pulls away. If that’s the case, I’ll move on to another trick or some targeting so we end on a positive. Yesterday and today, he actually let me stroke his head gently two or three times without complaint. He gets a big, excited “good boy!!!” and a treat or two. I hope this helps!
Nice! I can touch my Opies beak but if I try to stretch for the head he shifts just out of reach.
I don't know why I never thought to add a cue word my attempts. Starting on this tomorrow!

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
He is adorable. He's very lucky to have you.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice! I can touch my Opies beak but if I try to stretch for the head he shifts just out of reach.
I don't know why I never thought to add a cue word my attempts. Starting on this tomorrow!
This may sound silly, but when I say Touch Beak, I’m touching my own nose before touching his. When I say touch head, I stroke the top of my own head first. My Opie will never be cuddly, but I do want his vet trips to be less stressful for all involved.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I did same thing with Inca, my cue was kissing sounds. After two or three session, he became a scritch bug. :lol:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its nice to see a recent pic of your gorgous boy and great to see there is some progress.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie was a maniac this afternoon, and I cannot figure out the reason. He bit me, and I just missed his signals some how. He was alarm calling for 5 minutes straight, and I was never able to figure out a reason. He was more vocal than usual today.

I was not wearing clothes he hadn't seen before or the 'wrong' glasses. I put the new portable ramp down, but he could only see a small portion of it from his cage. I did not roll either of them down it, but I did walk up and down it myself a bit so they could all get used to the sound.

No changes in food, no other new sites or sounds or smells that I can determine. I am finding this just heartbreaking for some reason, too! I thought he had come to trust me to a certain extent by now, but today was awful!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie was a maniac this afternoon, and I cannot figure out the reason. He bit me, and I just missed his signals some how. He was alarm calling for 5 minutes straight, and I was never able to figure out a reason. He was more vocal than usual today.

I was not wearing clothes he hadn't seen before or the 'wrong' glasses. I put the new portable ramp down, but he could only see a small portion of it from his cage. I did not roll either of them down it, but I did walk up and down it myself a bit so they could all get used to the sound.

No changes in food, no other new sites or sounds or smells that I can determine. I am finding this just heartbreaking for some reason, too! I thought he had come to trust me to a certain extent by now, but today was awful!
Aw no I'm so sorry to hear this. It's always upsetting when they have off days like this. :hug8: hopefully tomorrow he will be back to normal.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know it's tough when you get bit. He really could have just been having a bad day. The weather. Getting ready to molt. Etc. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Sometimes they just have bad moods. I have noticed how they will have cuddly moodswings especially.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Next month, knock on wood, it will be 1.5 years since Opie has needed his collar!! :marlenesmile:

To celebrate, I'm sharing a video I don't think I've posted here before. Opie was in his collar, and having a fit about it. But it's sooooo cute!! Especially the pitiful little final squeak as he rests his head against the cage bars :sad4: :embarassed: