• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me, please, with my feather plucker, self mutilator, scared, and aggressive CH Conure

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
6EDB7AB3-1702-42DE-9F9A-9802261EE8F6.jpeg
Three of four tail feathers I’ve found in the last two days! I think he’s going to be a bit of a duck butt for a while:wideyed:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
*sigh* So, about 3 days ago, I needed to get a toy out of Opie’s cage because it was well and full dead. Unfortunately, I decided to get it when he was inside the cage instead of on top. He was being very cage aggressive and trying to bite me. My trick for that is to drape a towel over my arm so that he is wary enough of me to leave me alone. This time, he panicked! In his freak out, he scraped the skin over the point at the base of his keel bone. It was healing fine and was almost gone t. He was leaving it alone until today—when I came home to this.
E33D1CA5-7813-4104-B0A0-B1A92C20BB49.jpeg
Back into his collar he goes now. And I have revised how I handle removing and adding toys to his cage, smh. I’m such an idiot! This could have totally been avoided!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You didn't know that would happen, you're both still learning each other. And thank goodness it's not nearly as bad as before and that you have a collar on hand.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Don't beat yourself up. Your still learning about each other. I think your doing a wonderful job. You better start singing to him :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He has been so angry with me today for putting him back in his collar. He wouldn't train or target, and would barely take a treat. Then he wouldn't get back in his cage for the wind down to 'good night'. I had to roll his cage into the sleep room with him still on top! And then after a began to dim some of the lights, he just kept regurgitating over and over!

I had to resort to the ultimate bribe of a small piece of banana. And even then, once he went into his cage, he didn't want it!

I'm so confused by his behavior--well--the angry at me over his collar I do understand.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It feels like forever as we're living it, but when you look back in a year you'll be amazed how far you've come together. These are just growing pains. Any child will have a tantrum when they don't get their way.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Little man was dialed well past 11 today! He was sooooo cage aggressive and just plain mad! He hasn’t tried to bite me this much since his first couple of weeks home :grumpy:

I can only imagine the enormous tail feather pins aren’t helping. That must be very uncomfortable!
1ABC738D-BF55-4A81-914B-2BB633BF5848.jpeg
They all seem to be coming in at once!
2225A15D-537D-43C3-A180-FD1073CEEBCC.jpeg
My sweet, mad, aggressive, silly, hormonal man...
D9F74AD0-86F6-4688-B02D-F0243ACEDB64.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He really is beautiful. With cockatiels they suggest brewers yeast to help with the stress of molting. I imagine it would work with any bird. Or maybe try something like Herb Salad with him?